• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 4 Dress Shirts To Own

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't wear a tie often, so I only have one white shirt.

1. White w/ barrel cuffs
2. Light blue oxford
3. blue hair-line stripe
4. light lavender

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How on earth could one live with a 4 shirt rotation? I have 50+ shirts and often feel as though I have a limited selection. I do find it odd that I have one black shirt that has not been worn more than three times in a few years, most likely will stay in such a place and will never be bought again.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Canuker
How on earth could one live with a 4 shirt rotation? I have 50+ shirts and often feel as though I have a limited selection. I do find it odd that I have one black shirt that has not been worn more than three times in a few years, most likely will stay in such a place and will never be bought again.

This is not necessarily a list of the only 4 shirts one would own, but merely a list of top 4 dress shirts one should buy first. After the top 4, you can expand to other colors and patterns with different cuffs and collars.

Of course, many on here would be fine with just Whites/Blues and nothing else. Add color via Ties/Pocket Squares/Suits/Socks. White/Blue acting as a blank canvas.

Egert

Reaction score
2580.jpg

satisfied.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
This thread sparks an interesting question from me. Why would anyone buy or purchase a solid black shirt outside of the restaurant industry or corporate religion... er... organization?
I own one black shirt and actually wore it for a charity dance performance earlier this year (with black pants and a cherry red vest). So, I bought it for dancing and have worn it once in the year I've owned it (but I was glad to have it, since I'm a difficult fit and finding any article of clothing on short notice is nearly impossible for me). Edit: In other words, I consider it costume and have never voluntarily worn it. It's just not my style.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for a slim fitting light blue (solid) dress shirt under $65?

Hornswaggler

Reaction score
I think the first few should be solids:

White dress shirt (french cuffs)
White dress shirt (single button)
Light blue dress shirt (either cuff)
Pink, lavender, pale green, or ecru dress shirt (I think some kind of color, whatever it turns up being, is essential...)

mpe50

Reaction score
I think they would have to be 2 solid white and 2 solid blue. Always appropriate and stylish. Just choose collar and cuff style you prefer.

I am really a fan of the pink shirt, and love wearing one when I can. I think it isn't essential because being able to wear one depends greatly on what you do in my opinion. If you're in sales or a job where people rely on your expertise and authority...I'm not always sure pink is the way to go.

BLU8

Reaction score
1. white with barrel cuffs
2. white with French cuffs
3. light blue with either barrel or French cuffs (or both)
4. white with blue or dark grey pinstripes

Ideally (for me, anyways), the shirts would all have a spread or Regent collar & no chest pocket.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are only 2.

White
Light blue

Once you have that, anything goes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads