• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why high quality sunglasses are important (Or: How Maui Jim saved my eyeball)

justinsmnz

Reaction score
I'm not normally a big fan of brand loyalty. Generally I buy what I like, regardless of the brand that makes or sells it. However, I think that today made me a lifelong Maui Jim customer. I realize that this forum is dedicated to buying high-quality products, so I'm most likely preaching to the choir, but I still feel the need to share this: I had the day off from work so I decided to head to the beach for the afternoon. One minute I was standing near the water and the next minute I was knocked over into the sand by something that felt about like getting hit in the face by a baseball bat. After I got up from the sand my girlfriend decided that screaming was no longer necessary and she told me that a seagull had dove directly into my face, completely out of nowhere and then flew off like nothing happened. After taking a second to let the situation sink in, I took a look around and saw my sunglasses on the gound. When I picked them up I was pretty upset that the lens had cracked from the corner to about the center of the right side. However, After a minute or two, I realized that that seagull hit me with so much force (and had obviously come in beak-first) that without the glasses on I would almost definitely have lost that eye. You could argue that any pair of sunglasses would protect your eyes, but I find it pretty incredible that something with enough force to knock me down and with a razor-like beak barely even cracked the lens. Not only that, but also that the frame was solid enough to keep the glass from flying into my eye. Because of this, I'll be sending these in for a fresh set of lenses and will most likely never buy sunglasses from anyone but Maui. What I learned: a. Seagulls are terrible creatures. b. Seagulls are not only terrible, but they're stupid beyond belief. c. Seagulls are not only terribly stupid beyond belief, but they have ridiculously sharp beaks. d. Maui Jim makes a hell of a pair of sunglasses. The ( very miniscule) amount of damage:
IMG_9368.jpg
IMG_9367.jpg
All because of this little shithead:
attention_seeking_seagull_878.jpg
6/15 UPDATE: I just received my Mauis back from the repair center and was incredibly surprised. I was blown away that they didn't even charge me for the lens replacement. I didn't provide proof of purchase nor did I have them under warranty. Really phenomenal customer service on their part. If you're looking for a pair of sunglasses I can't recommend Maui Jim enough.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
odd thread, but high five! I don't wear sunglasses often. I recently bought a pair of Persols, but sunglasses are too much of a hassle for me.
laugh.gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Persols and Maui Jims. The Maui's are still my favorite.

I'm glad your eves are alright.

Doc4

Reaction score
Read this with an "overweight English accent" ...

Originally Posted by justinsmnz
I'm not normally a big fan of brand loyalty. Generally I buy what I like, regardless of the brand that makes or sells it. However, I think that today made me a lifelong Maui Jim customer. I realize that this forum is dedicated to buying high-quality products, so I'm most likely preaching to the choir, but I still feel the need to share this:

I had the day off from work so I decided to head to the beach for the afternoon. One minute I was standing near the water and the next minute I was knocked over into the sand by something that felt about like getting hit in the face by a baseball bat. After I got up from the sand my girlfriend decided that screaming was no longer necessary and she told me that a seagull had dove directly into my face, completely out of nowhere and then flew off like nothing happened.

After taking a second to let the situation sink in, I took a look around and saw my sunglasses on the gound. When I picked them up I was pretty upset that the lens had cracked from the corner to about the center of the right side. However, After a minute or two, I realized that that seagull hit me with so much force (and had obviously come in beak-first) that without the glasses on I would almost definitely have lost that eye. You could argue that any pair of sunglasses would protect your eyes, but I find it pretty incredible that something with enough force to knock me down and with a razor-like beak barely even cracked the lens. Not only that, but also that the frame was solid enough to keep the glass from flying into my eye. Because of this, I'll be sending these in for a fresh set of lenses and will most likely never buy sunglasses from anyone but Maui.

What I learned:

a. Seagulls are terrible creatures.

b. Seagulls are not only terrible, but they're stupid beyond belief.

c. Seagulls are not only terribly stupid beyond belief, but they have ridiculously sharp beaks.

d. In theatres nation-wide next month, the latest thriller from Alfred Hitchcock ...

bigstar[1].gif

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
the birds, they have marked you for death.

birds_shot4l.jpg

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Birds are good for nothing but grubbing with some bbq sauce. Pigeons should just all die.

nelly

Reaction score
Hate to be the joykill, but have you considered that the seagull dove at your face because it was attracted to the shiny reflection off your sunglasses? The Maui Jim will indeed save your eyes each time...from an attack it caused!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nelly
Hate to be the joykill, but have you considered that the seagull dove at your face because it was attracted to the shiny reflection off your sunglasses? The Maui Jim will indeed save your eyes each time...from an attack it caused!

+1.
laugh.gif
Welcome to the critical yet ingenious ways of SF!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads