• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh god, I hate the Poang.

Also, in response to the question asked earlier, no I do not own the Chieftan chair. I just appreciate and covet it.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5761989711_b6284453ea_o.jpg

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by artoftime
Chieftain is a stunning piece of design. Juhl has been under appreciated for years.
Originally Posted by holymadness
His prices certainly don't betray a lack of appreciation.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Sazerac
No ****. Like 12k, right? About 12 years ago I saw one on e-bay from some idiot in Queens who had no idea what he was sitting on. I passed at the time and have regretted it since.
They're lovely. This baby went for around $14K in 2003, in as-found condition. (The owners actually had had another, but they thought that the leather was so far gone that it was unsalvageable, so they threw it out...
31644-4-1.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
How are you supposed to pee with an erection?

laugh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
Here's mine, a slightly cleaner dial version without the numbers shown above:

DSC00247.jpg

I decided against the black version in the end because of the contrasting white date display, which doesn't look as good IMO.

Looks like a pretty big watch. Yes? I have to say, I'm getting a possible buying twinge from this line of watches.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Looks like a pretty big watch. Yes? I have to say, I'm getting a possible buying twinge from this line of watches.
I think is around 40mm. Sits a bit larger on the wrist. I found mine used so they are out there. They're just rare on the 2nd hand market.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I think is around 40mm. Sits a bit larger on the wrist. I found mine used so they are out there. They're just rare on the 2nd hand market.

Rambo, you have a Stowa Marine Original Roman right? How do the two compare size-wise on the wrist given that the Max Bill has virtually no bezel?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
Rambo, you have a Stowa Marine Original Roman right? How do the two compare size-wise on the wrist given that the Max Bill has virtually no bezel?
Yep. The Stowa is a larger watch, and sits larger on the wrist, but the Max Bill isn't tiny by any stretch of the imagination. The MB cuts a nice cross between looking large without being large.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say that the looks are a bit deceiving because the watch is all-dial; there is almost no bezel to speak of. The watch is 40mm but wears bigger than other 40mm watches with larger bezels.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Its hard for me to be subjective about this because I have a large wrist to begin with. The Stowa is my favorite watch @ 42. The MB looks about 40 on me even without the bezel. On somebody with a smaller wrist I could see it wearing larger than that.

Kookz

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of these. George Mulhauser, made by Plycraft, circa 1964ish.
254437_693613500869_4801782_35879364_3195050_n.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love it. The base is beautiful too. Impressive condition

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads