• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
This looks like the dye just didn't take well on those parts of the shell. Could have been a different shell all together. Looks poor all on one shoe in my opinion.

No, because if you rotate that shoe so the light hits it differently, the dark and light areas will reverse themselves. It's not the dye. It's the grain.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
No, becasue if you rotate that shoe so the light hits it differently, the dark and light areas will reverse themselves. It's not the dye. It's the grain.

Hence:

Shellcolordifference1.jpg

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
looks like 2 totally different colors

i have a flat peice of sshell in cigar in from of me but i get fully you point as the color looks the same from all angles

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Hence:

Thank you. This is an illustration of the dichromatic nature of shell caused by its grain structure. It is made evident when the pieces are cut randomly rather than being deliberately cut in the same direction to avoid this aspect, as I believe was done in the pair of Vass, several posts above.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
That is insane.

No doubt. But it's also true.

The wings of butterflies and other insects possess the same dichromatic properties.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since my posts fell across a page break, I'll put both photos in one post here for convenience.

Shellcolordifference2.jpg

In my experience, lighter shades are most susceptible to this dichromatism. Cognac, ravello, whiskey, etc. You see it less often with darker colors like cigar and #8, though it does happen.

Alden's LHS pennies often have a strap that's a different color from the rest of the shoe. I'm not sure if that's because of the grain issue or because the straps are cut from a different shell. I suspect the latter.

DSCF7356.jpg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
No doubt. But it's also true.

The wings of butterflies and other insects possess the same dichromatic properties.

Fun Fact: I am afraid of butterflies.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by artoftime
I'm going to have a pair of Budapester Chukkas made just to make Fritzl smile
laugh.gif

smile? are you sure?

probably, if i can choose the maker and give some guidance...
cheers.gif

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
smile? are you sure?

probably, if i can choose the maker and give some guidance...
cheers.gif

You don't seem the kind of man who smiles lightly.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by isshinryu101
You don't seem the kind of man who smiles lightly.

what makes you think that? i just can't stand people e.g. who bother the forum with their sizing issues, not artoftime. if you love shoes, you can read them like a book and you use your instinct, right

understood, i'm nicer in real life.

artoftime is a cool bloke, no question.

chukkas and doublemonks are on my blacklist.

budapester is on my to-do-list.

actually, i love to play around and know with whom i can play.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what makes you think that? i just can't stand people e.g. who bother the forum with their sizing issues, not artoftime. if you love shoes, you can read them like a book and you use your instinct, right understood, i'm nicer in real life. artoftime is a cool bloke, no question. chukkas and doublemonks are on my blacklist. budapester is on my to-do-list. actually, i love to play around and know with whom i can play.
Good philosophy, I think. I KNOW you have fun here, which is the whole point. AND, obviously, what fun is life without a friendly "joust" now again?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Alden's LHS pennies often have a strap that's a different color from the rest of the shoe. I'm not sure if that's because of the grain issue or because the straps are cut from a different shell. I suspect the latter.

DSCF7356.jpg

Yeah but it creates a fantastic effect IMO...

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

chukkas and doublemonks are on my blacklist.

Fills me with great sadness when you are almost "around the corner" from the Vass workshop and my favourite all time shell monks (see above) and me Down Under.
drool.gif
cry.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads