• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American table manners

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
Although I'm left handed - I use my right hand to do incisions with scalpels and my right hand to suture. The way we learned is being handed off half sutured things and having a consultant look over while you work. So you had to finish sutures right handed because the partially finished sutures' orientation forced you to. The few times I assisted a surgical consultant who was purely left handed it was disorienting.

I know the formal ways of eating, but adjust accordingly. If you're at a ******* barbecue then eat with your hands and enjoy yourself. If you're amongst close friends/family then go head a break all the rules you want.

But if you're at a formal setting then by all means use your knowledge and do it properly.

I just hate when I'm corrected by people who think they are doing something right when in fact they're flat out wrong or there are no rules mandating so - like being told that eating with a fork with my left hand is rude.

+1 on setting. Everyone should adjust for that.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It is how I learned as a child, and I never felt any need to change. I can't say that there is any logic, just habit.

FWIW, a huge percentage of Americans I see hold their utensils like they were clubs. That grosses me out, not whether they switch hands. My guess is that a large percentage of people here do as well, since my take is that the average manners here are probably middle of the road when compared to others in their various cultures.

Eww yes. Anyone that visibly grips their utensils... god. Women are the worst offenders. If my frail grandmother can barely touch her knife and fork and effectively cut anything that you should be able to as well.

I hate high elbows, pronated wrists and knuckles that aren't almost flat.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
As far as "efficient" over this whole topic...I've noticed that naturally thin people tend to be the least "efficient" eaters. They tend to touch their food a dozen or more times to get one bite to their mouth whereas the "efficient" eater gets it on the fork in one, maybe two motions.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It is how I learned as a child, and I never felt any need to change. I can't say that there is any logic, just habit.

FWIW, a huge percentage of Americans I see hold their utensils like they were clubs. That grosses me out, not whether they switch hands. My guess is that a large percentage of people here do as well, since my take is that the average manners here are probably middle of the road when compared to others in their various cultures.

I have execrable manners, like stick something with a knife and put it in your mouth bad. I also slurp soup and throw food everywhere. I don't wear lipstick though...

Allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I was basically told as a kid that all these "rules" are actually to make eating easier

Funny, I always thought that eating was made easier by doing what would never bee seen as polite. Let me tell you how I envision "easy eating":
You tactfully take the silverware off the table. You grab the steak with the right hand and insert it in your mouth. Then you bite. Take your left hand and enjoy your grilled vegetables. Now that's efortless grace
laugh.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
As far as "efficient" over this whole topic...I've noticed that naturally thin people tend to be the least "efficient" eaters. They tend to touch their food a dozen or more times to get one bite to their mouth whereas the "efficient" eater gets it on the fork in one, maybe two motions.

Very true. A good weight loss technique is probably to force yourself to switch hands. I am sure if you are really overweight you are most likely eating finger food anyway...

blazer

Reaction score
As long as one chews with their mouth closed and doesn't talk with it full, then american or european should not matter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics