• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Saddest TV Moment of All Time

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have seen it done well. It was in a picture of a Weimar era Krupps gathering.
Anything you can post?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Anything you can post?
Unfortunately the photo was in a book so I don't have anything convenient. But then some of those Krupps were hardly known for convention. Incidentally, I found this man wearing what appears to be wearing a self-cloth double-breasted vest: http://pro.corbis.com/images/JS12633...-fa112f3f2e02}

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Wasn't that common with white tie (tails)?
Yes, you see the double-breasted white vest with white-tail although it seems that single-breasted was rather common as well, if not more. However, a white-tie outfit would not have a black vest.

raley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I am somewhat fond of Prince Charles, and was very attached to Diana.

Ok, this was a few pages back, but reading this just struck me. Aren't you a freshman in college? That puts you at 8 years old when Princess Diana died - you were "very attached" to her? Give me a break.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
However, a white-tie outfit would not have a black vest.

Actually, the black vest with white tie preceded the white vest and was "correct" for a long time, up until WWI at least. By the 30s, it was a faux pas, however, and still is, to those who care about such things.

But it's hard to tell if the gent in the picture is wearing tails. I assume he is, however.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
1969 - The Forget-Me-Knot

Mrs. Emma Peel whispers in John Steed's ear as she departs forever.

Then, on the way out the door to meet her long-lost-for-many-years-in-the-jungle husband waiting outside in his Corniche convertible, Emma encounters Tara King. Whereupon she says to Tara, "He [Steed] likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."

It doesn't get any sadder.

+1000. My daughter Emma is named after Mrs. Peel, though my wife still thinks it was Emma from Jane Austen.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Emma Peel was a lot more levelheaded than Emma Woodehouse.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Can you punch yourself really hard? I think it's difficult to inflict pain on yourself like that.

Can we start a songs that make you cry thread? I don't cry much, but I am somewhat easily choked up. A number of songs and movies; hell, I watched Glory last night for the billionth time and had a, uh, moment.

"w-wu-we ready , sir"

"who shall carry the flag if this man goes down?"

" I WILL"

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
+1000. My daughter Emma is named after Mrs. Peel, though my wife still thinks it was Emma from Jane Austen.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Your secret is safe with us. We won't tell you wife. Will we?
smile.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
- the M*A*S*H episode where Henry Blake dies

Originally Posted by aportnoy
Radar reading the telegram....

"I have a message, Lt. Colonel Henry Blake's plane was shot down over The Sea of Japan. It spun in. There were no survivors."

Feel free to cry now, I did.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought of the episode where Col. Blake dies... that one still gets me even when it's a repeat.

As for real-life events, obviously the Challenger explosion, 9-11 are memorable. However, I would put the death of Princess Diana in a different category as it didn't happen on live television. I wasn't yet born when JFK was assasinated, so I'll leave that to others to discuss.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Actually, the black vest with white tie preceded the white vest and was "correct" for a long time, up until WWI at least. By the 30s, it was a faux pas, however, and still is, to those who care about such things.

But it's hard to tell if the gent in the picture is wearing tails. I assume he is, however.

I do not believe the man is wearing tails:

js1263313bp1.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I do not believe the man is wearing tails:

js1263313bp1.jpg

You changed the picture! The first one you had up, they guy was wearing a white tie, and had an overcoat draped over his arm, obscuring his side and back.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
When the crew of the Bebop all went their seperate ways, Ed and Ein wandered off... Faye found where she "belonged"... Spike and Vicious killed each other... and Jet was left alone with his ship. Always gets to me.
175po1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member