• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Life in world class cities vs. everywhere else

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Santa Cruz is a world-class granola hippie surfer beach town.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I tolerate mean people more than philistines. I went to a baseball game last week and I was truly embarrassed at how sloppy and disgusting people are. It was Labelking's worst nightmare.

Try living near wrigley field

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Try living in a mediocre city with world class pretentions.

I was gonna say this about Chicago, and then expect every single poster from Chicago to burn me in effigy and dip me in whichever Great Lake they have there, but I don't really like Chicago.

I am typing this from Tokyo, my favorite city in the world. The girls are beautiful, the city is clean, everything is well-made, people are courteous, and the food and drink are beyond words. There is no better city.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I was gonna say this about Chicago, and then expect every single poster from Chicago to burn me in effigy and dip me in whichever Great Lake they have there, but I don't really like Chicago.

I am typing this from Tokyo, my favorite city in the world. The girls are beautiful, the city is clean, everything is well-made, people are courteous, and the food and drink are beyond words. There is no better city.

Yeah, but it's full of Japanese. Just saying.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one

I personally love Chicago, but it's definitely in the grey area. It's not NY, London, Tokyo, Seoul but it's not that far below. I lean towards calling it world class, but I can see where one could make the argument against its inclusion.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Seoul does not belong in that sentence.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Chicago is 6th on the Global Cities Index. Rank\tCity\tScore 1\tNew York City\t6.22 2\tLondon\t5.86 3\tTokyo\t5.42 4\tParis\t5.35 5\tHong Kong\t4.14 6\tChicago\t3.94 7\tLos Angeles\t3.90 8\tSingapore\t3.45 9\tSydney\t3.44 10\tSeoul\t3.40 11\tBrussels\t3.29 12\tSan Francisco\t3.26 13\tWashington, D.C.\t3.25 14\tToronto\t3.13 15\tBeijing\t3.12 16\tBerlin\t3.03 17\tMadrid\t3.02 18\tVienna\t2.96 19\tBoston\t2.78 20\tFrankfurt am Main\t2.78 20\tShanghai\t2.78 22\tBuenos Aires\t2.73 23\tStockholm\t2.71 24\tZurich\t2.68 25\tMoscow\t2.61 26\tBarcelona\t2.57 27\tDubai\t2.56 28\tRome\t2.56 29\tAmsterdam\t2.54 30\tMexico City\t2.41 Here's another list: Alpha Alpha as **** ++ world cities: London, New York Alpha+ world cities: Hong Kong, Paris, Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney, Milan, Shanghai, Beijing Alpha world cities: Madrid, Moscow, Seoul, Toronto, Brussels, Buenos Aires, Mumbai, Kuala Lumpur, Chicago Alpha− world cities: Warsaw, São Paulo, Zurich, Amsterdam, Mexico City, Jakarta, Dublin, Bangkok, Taipei, Istanbul, Rome, Lisbon, Frankfurt, Stockholm, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Athens, Caracas, Los Angeles, Auckland, Santiago Beta Beta+ world cities: Washington, Melbourne, Johannesburg, Atlanta, Barcelona, San Francisco, Manila, Bogotá, Tel Aviv, New Delhi, Dubai, Bucharest Beta world cities: Oslo, Berlin, Helsinki, Geneva, Copenhagen, Riyadh, Hamburg, Cairo, Luxembourg, Bangalore, Dallas, Kuwait, Boston Beta− world cities: Munich, Jeddah, Miami, Lima, Kiev, Houston, Guangzhou, Beirut, Karachi, Düsseldorf, Sofia, Montevideo, Nicosia, Rio de Janeiro, Ho Chi Minh City Gamma Gamma+ world cities: Montreal, Nairobi, Bratislava, Panama City, Chennai, Brisbane, Casablanca, Denver, Quito, Stuttgart, Vancouver, Zagreb, Manama, Guatemala City, Cape Town, San JosÃ
00a9.png
, Minneapolis, Santo Domingo, Seattle Gamma world cities: Ljubljana, Shenzhen, Perth, Kolkata, Guadalajara, Antwerp, Philadelphia, Rotterdam, Amman, Portland, Lagos Gamma - world cities Detroit, Manchester, Wellington, Riga, Guayaquil, Edinburgh, Porto, San Salvador, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Port Louis, San Diego, Islamabad, Birmingham, Doha, Calgary, Almaty, Columbus,

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand that CBS is considering reviving the TV show "Dallas".

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, we need a list of "world class cities." I'll start:

London
NYC
Tokyo
Paris

Edit: Rats, SH and his damn fancy list!

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Okay, we need a list of "world class cities." I'll start:

London
NYC
Tokyo
Paris

Edit: Rats, SH and his damn fancy list!

I think there's still room for debate. Even if we except that that list is an accurate ranking of the top-30 cities, there's still the question of whether or not there are 30 world class cities.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised to see DC so high on the list. I love it, but it strikes me as more of a big (company) town than a city.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Wow, I'm surprised to see DC so high on the list. I love it, but it strikes me as more of a big (company) town than a city.

The more of America's wealth that it hoovers up and concentrates there, the more "world class" it gets.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

The Metro, Universities and Smithsonian give DC a huge bump on lists like this.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I rank Tokyo above London and NYC, because there's nothing I like better than seeing sexy Japanese girls in hot pants hoofing it on foot
devil.gif
Anyway, earlier today I was in Seoul, which is not a world class city by my estimation, the people there are not world class or close to it, and then I'm Tokyo a few hours later and it's like waking up from a dream or something - I'm back in civilization. The first car I see on the road here is a Morgan Plus 4, the sun is shining and the canals are clean and nice and floaty, tons of green everywhere, the girls are all surprisingly cute, I ate a few good meals here already, people are polite, really a little dream cluster.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads