• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Criminal Defence vs. The Conscience?

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Long boring story follows - This actually made me think of a case I had several years ago. It was an underage drinking charge for a kid at the local college. He was 20 and a half years old, went to a fraternity party, had two beers and then the place was raided. The police officers gave everybody a PBT (Portable Breath Test) as they walked out the door and charged everybody underage who came up positive. In PA, underage drinking isn't such a big deal, it's usually just a fine and maybe some community service. But there's also a driver license suspension penalty, regardless of whether the person was driving at the time (which my client was not). My client was prepared to plead guilty and take any punishment except a license suspension because he had to commute to college and to work in order to pay his tuition. At the time of the scheduled hearing, they bring in all the kids from the raid at the same time and take them one at a time. As I'm private counsel I get to go first, so I go in to talk ahead of time with the police officer. I'm practically begging the guy to let my client plead to some other offense. Disorderly conduct, anything that carries just a fine and no license suspension. NO DEALS. Please, Mr. Officer, he'll do extra community service, he'll pay a double fine, just have pity on this working class kid trying to get his way through college? NO. C'mon, anything? NO WAY IN HELL, THESE PUNK KIDS NEED TO LEARN A LESSON. I had no choice but to go through with the hearing, even though I knew my client had committed the offense. Well, the police officer did a fine job testifying as to his case but when it came time to testifying about the PBT device used to test my client's blood alcohol level he didn't cite to the Pennsylvania Bulletin which provides that the particular model used was an approved testing device. Ergo, the PBT evidence isn't admissible. Without evidence that my client had alcohol in his system there was no evidence he had consumed alcohol. Not guilty. As I left the courtroom my client immediately told his dozen frat friends about my success. They, in turn, immediately hired me on the spot (at $600 a pop) and each and every one of them after a hearing was declared not guilty. All because some obnoxious cop wanted to teach them a lesson. Did they all commit the criminal act? Yes. But I had no bad feelings about getting them off on a technicality because some pig cop wanted these punks to respect his authority. Still one of the most satisfying defense wins of my career. I lost this exact case about a year and a half ago.
frown.gif

This is a fine tale, but it doesn't approach the type of ethical dilemma I am thinking about. In fact, I would feel very satisfied had I been in your shoes in a situation like this. The type of guilt I am referring to doesn't start and end at the black level of the law, but where true abhorrence begins. For example, replace college frat kids charged with underage drinking with a 40 year old predator who has molested local children...I mean, that's the type of work I would expect myself to come across down the road.

Deluks917

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
For example, say your client sexually assaulted a young child, but the young child did not tell about it until after a long time had passed, after the child told about it the details were extracted using somewhat suggestive questioning, the child constantly changed his story, and there was no corroborating physical evidence. That could be a difficult case for the State to prove even though the person may have actually done it.

I'd hope this would be impossible for the state to prove unless the defendent confessed or told people about the crime. Nobody should be put in jail on the basis of a child's testimony under those circumstances.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. White doesn't seem like the most pleasant guy, but if I was accused of a crime, hes exactly the kind of guy I would want defending me, and all of you should feel the same.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik

I can tell by your posts that you're very concerned about 'morality,' 'dishonesty,' and the fact that 'the law is an empty shell.' I don't know about you, but I went to law school and became a lawyer. I didn't go to philosophy school or become a preacher. My job is to advocate, not decide guilt; that's reserved for judges and religious deities. I deal in the law and temporal punishment. I let the grace of almighty God deal in morals and perpetual absolute punishment.

this. I question whether op should be a lawyer at all.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
I'm the fucktard...but...you keep conflating "accused" with "guilty" ... and "innocent" with "quote assumed innocent unquote."

BTW, exactly what do you think some client is "not innocent" of? Picking his nose without a license? Fact: he hasn't been convicted in a court of law. Fact: only conviction in a court of law causes status to change from innocent to guility. Therefore, fact: he is innocent. People like you are why there are laws against libel.

im willing to bet we agree but cant word ourselves so as we see that
smile.gif

Originally Posted by munchausen
Mr. White doesn't seem like the most pleasant guy, but if I was accused of a crime, hes exactly the kind of guy I would want defending me, and all of you should feel the same.

maybe, what are his rates?
devil.gif

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
this. I question whether op should be a lawyer at all.
So real lawyers are priests, not philosophers? Anyways, these are just divergent viewpoints. I like to think about my job, not just perform it. Perhaps that's because I appreciate just how powerful my role is in shaping the lives and destinies of others. I will be called to the Bar in June, by the way.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but if you can't get into the idea that what is "right" when you are a lawyer is whatever is in the best interests of your client (within the limits set by the law and the ethics rules, of course), then you don't have the right mentality to practice law.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got back from court, where I just beat a case (DWI) for a client who did actually commit the act with which he was charged, and I feel great!
bigstar[1].gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Buy that man a beer!
cheers.gif

Baltimore Meetup, be there.
thumbs-up.gif

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
and what makes working for the govt so noble?
is it persecuting the rich for personal political gain? (NY DA office)
spending millions to create fake terrorists, again for personal gain? (FBI and LE)
the power to dictate your whims to America? (the judiciary)
or is it just the fact that you get paid much less?

cheers

This forum has an amazing ability to create red herrings from thin air.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads