1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Criminal Defence vs. The Conscience?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Sherman90, May 1, 2011.

1. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Mr. White doesn't seem like the most pleasant guy, but if I was accused of a crime, hes exactly the kind of guy I would want defending me, and all of you should feel the same.

2. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I can tell by your posts that you're very concerned about 'morality,' 'dishonesty,' and the fact that 'the law is an empty shell.' I don't know about you, but I went to law school and became a lawyer. I didn't go to philosophy school or become a preacher. My job is to advocate, not decide guilt; that's reserved for judges and religious deities. I deal in the law and temporal punishment. I let the grace of almighty God deal in morals and perpetual absolute punishment.

this. I question whether op should be a lawyer at all.

3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I'm the fucktard...but...you keep conflating "accused" with "guilty" ... and "innocent" with "quote assumed innocent unquote."

BTW, exactly what do you think some client is "not innocent" of? Picking his nose without a license? Fact: he hasn't been convicted in a court of law. Fact: only conviction in a court of law causes status to change from innocent to guility. Therefore, fact: he is innocent. People like you are why there are laws against libel.

im willing to bet we agree but cant word ourselves so as we see that [​IMG]

Mr. White doesn't seem like the most pleasant guy, but if I was accused of a crime, hes exactly the kind of guy I would want defending me, and all of you should feel the same.

maybe, what are his rates? [​IMG]

4. Sherman90

Sherman90 Senior member

this. I question whether op should be a lawyer at all.
    So real lawyers are priests, not philosophers? Anyways, these are just divergent viewpoints. I like to think about my job, not just perform it. Perhaps that's because I appreciate just how powerful my role is in shaping the lives and destinies of others. I will be called to the Bar in June, by the way.

5. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

No, but if you can't get into the idea that what is "right" when you are a lawyer is whatever is in the best interests of your client (within the limits set by the law and the ethics rules, of course), then you don't have the right mentality to practice law.

6. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I just got back from court, where I just beat a case (DWI) for a client who did actually commit the act with which he was charged, and I feel great! [​IMG]

7. Mr. White

Mr. White Senior member

8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Buy that man a beer! [​IMG]

Baltimore Meetup, be there.[​IMG]

9. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

and what makes working for the govt so noble?
    is it persecuting the rich for personal political gain? (NY DA office)
    spending millions to create fake terrorists, again for personal gain? (FBI and LE)
    the power to dictate your whims to America? (the judiciary)
    or is it just the fact that you get paid much less?

cheers

This forum has an amazing ability to create red herrings from thin air.

10. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Welcome to the internet, dude.

11. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

I just got back from court, where I just beat a case (DWI) for a client who did actually commit the act with which he was charged, and I feel great! [​IMG]

No probable cause to pull over or to perform test? Problems with Intoxylizer or operator not properly certified?

12. marg

marg Senior member

I'm half-way through law school. I did very well in crim law, and more importantly, I enjoyed it. Any money in the regular realm (non-OJ) of criminal defense work? Anyone here do white-collar crim defense?

13. veneto

veneto Senior member

White-collar defense work is generally going to be at large, national firms or boutique firms that want several years of experience.

14. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

[​IMG]

White-collar defense work is generally going to be at large, national firms or boutique firms that want several years of experience.

x2. But there's money to be made in small-time criminal defense.

15. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

You should take criminal procedure before you decide you want to practice in that area. The criminal "law" class is good for the bar exam but not much else.

16. marg

marg Senior member

i will have 8 years in finance by the time i'm done school (night student), and i am in trade surveillance and anti-money laundering now precisely to get valuable experience. would this be translateable experience for a boutique firm? I was thinking about going to the SEC, then going to a firm, but I know it's much easier said than done. at the end, i was hoping to use all the experience to go into white collar defense.

sorry to hijack the thread...

17. veneto

veneto Senior member

Again, this is general, but white-collar defense firms want legal work experience of some kind. These firms want associates coming in with enough legal experience to handle things with minimal, if any, training.

The SEC honors program is the only way to get hired out of law school. The program hires about 2-3 people a year these days, so it is largely about who you know. The DOJ and IRS honors programs are a much better shot, but also extremely competitive. The reality is that most federal agencies want to save money on training so they hire experienced candidates.

18. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

No probable cause to pull over or to perform test? Problems with Intoxylizer or operator not properly certified?

The cop performed field sobriety tests and my guy failed. Cop arrests him on suspected DWI and brings him in. My guy blows a 0.0. They issue him a DWI anyway for being under the influence of narcotics. Cop asks for urine or blood sample and my guy refuses. In NJ, when there is a refusal, the cop is supposed to read a mandatory statement about how the person has no right to refuse, and the cop doesn't read it and does not cite my guy for refusal. We go to trial - 0.0 reading, no blood, no urine, no admissions, no proof of intoxication. Directed verdict for the defense.

19. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

i will have 8 years in finance by the time i'm done school (night student), and i am in trade surveillance and anti-money laundering now precisely to get valuable experience. would this be translateable experience for a boutique firm? I was thinking about going to the SEC, then going to a firm, but I know it's much easier said than done. at the end, i was hoping to use all the experience to go into white collar defense.

sorry to hijack the thread...

Considered the U.S. Attorney's office? And where are you going to school? That will make a big difference on being able to get into a national law firm practicing white collar defense.