• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Criminal Defence vs. The Conscience?

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I just got back from court, where I just beat a case (DWI) for a client who did actually commit the act with which he was charged, and I feel great!
bigstar[1].gif

No probable cause to pull over or to perform test? Problems with Intoxylizer or operator not properly certified?

marg

Reaction score
I'm half-way through law school. I did very well in crim law, and more importantly, I enjoyed it. Any money in the regular realm (non-OJ) of criminal defense work? Anyone here do white-collar crim defense?

veneto

Reaction score
White-collar defense work is generally going to be at large, national firms or boutique firms that want several years of experience.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I just got back from court, where I just beat a case (DWI) for a client who did actually commit the act with which he was charged, and I feel great!
bigstar[1].gif

fistbump.gif

Originally Posted by veneto
White-collar defense work is generally going to be at large, national firms or boutique firms that want several years of experience.

x2. But there's money to be made in small-time criminal defense.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You should take criminal procedure before you decide you want to practice in that area. The criminal "law" class is good for the bar exam but not much else.

marg

Reaction score
i will have 8 years in finance by the time i'm done school (night student), and i am in trade surveillance and anti-money laundering now precisely to get valuable experience. would this be translateable experience for a boutique firm? I was thinking about going to the SEC, then going to a firm, but I know it's much easier said than done. at the end, i was hoping to use all the experience to go into white collar defense.

sorry to hijack the thread...

veneto

Reaction score
Again, this is general, but white-collar defense firms want legal work experience of some kind. These firms want associates coming in with enough legal experience to handle things with minimal, if any, training.

The SEC honors program is the only way to get hired out of law school. The program hires about 2-3 people a year these days, so it is largely about who you know. The DOJ and IRS honors programs are a much better shot, but also extremely competitive. The reality is that most federal agencies want to save money on training so they hire experienced candidates.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by D Yizz
No probable cause to pull over or to perform test? Problems with Intoxylizer or operator not properly certified?

The cop performed field sobriety tests and my guy failed. Cop arrests him on suspected DWI and brings him in. My guy blows a 0.0. They issue him a DWI anyway for being under the influence of narcotics. Cop asks for urine or blood sample and my guy refuses. In NJ, when there is a refusal, the cop is supposed to read a mandatory statement about how the person has no right to refuse, and the cop doesn't read it and does not cite my guy for refusal. We go to trial - 0.0 reading, no blood, no urine, no admissions, no proof of intoxication. Directed verdict for the defense.

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marg
i will have 8 years in finance by the time i'm done school (night student), and i am in trade surveillance and anti-money laundering now precisely to get valuable experience. would this be translateable experience for a boutique firm? I was thinking about going to the SEC, then going to a firm, but I know it's much easier said than done. at the end, i was hoping to use all the experience to go into white collar defense.

sorry to hijack the thread...

Considered the U.S. Attorney's office? And where are you going to school? That will make a big difference on being able to get into a national law firm practicing white collar defense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads