• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should be noted that I am certain that RTW bench made shoes are machine lasted and machine welted.

However, I do not know if this applies for MTO, which may be hand lasted and machine welted.

Perhaps the youngster with the wild hair at G&G could clarify.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
It should be noted that I am certain that RTW bench made shoes are machine lasted and machine welted.

However, I do not know if this applies for MTO, which may be hand lasted and machine welted.

Perhaps the youngster with the wild hair at G&G could clarify.

I see no reason why MTO would be hand lasted as opposed to RTW. As far as I am concerned MTO is RTW with user input. The MTO markup isn't nearly enough to take hand lasting into account.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This approach is as close to hand making as it gets since it replicates the exact same process of hand lasting and hand welting.
Compared to what? It may be the next best thing...or not...but it does not replicate the exact same process in either case. I admire the hell out of G&G shoes but real is real. The processes are not the same from nuance to nevermind and any attempt to make it seem so is simply disingenuous. If Goodyear welting is so good let it stand on its own. Let it be advertised and hyped...Machine Welted!! Machine Lasted!!...as a technique with its own intrinsic value and not as a substitute for hand welting.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Compared to what? It may be the next best thing...or not...but it does not replicate the exact same process in either case. I admire the hell out of G&G shoes but real is real. The processes are not the same from nuance to nevermind and any attempt to make it seem so is simply disingenuous. If Goodyear welting is so good let it stand on its own. Let it be advertised and hyped...Machine Welted!! Machine Lasted!!...as a technique with its own intrinsic value and not as a substitute for hand welting.
There is no disingenuous on anyone's part as I noted that Tony and Dean have never ever passed of their RTW as hand-made shoes. Perhaps I misapplied the word "exactly" for which I stand corrected by yourself. Furthermore, there was no implicit or explicit notion that this was a substitute for hand welting nor is it better. As you know, the hand welting of a shoe takes an extend length of time of which the machines perform in a mere matter of seconds. Regardless, I admire your defense of the true hand-work that goes into hand-made shoes, which was the point I was trying to emphasise, that is many firms misuse and abuse the term hand-made. Additionally, I thank you for challenging the comparison, to which this instance would refer to a machine-based construction technique, like Blake.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is no disingenuous on anyone's part as I noted that Tony and Dean have never ever passed of their RTW as hand-made shoes. Perhaps I misapplied the word "exactly" for which I stand corrected by yourself. Furthermore, there was no implicit or explicit notion that this was a substitute for hand welting nor is it better. As you know, the hand welting of a shoe takes an extend length of time of which the machines perform in a mere matter of seconds. Regardless, I admire your defense of the true hand-work that goes into hand-made shoes, which was the point I was trying to emphasise, that is many firms misuse and abuse the term hand-made. Additionally, I thank you for challenging the comparison, to which this instance would refer to a machine-based construction technique, like Blake.
Not sending you any flowers, but...I like you. You get it and you're not defensive...you understand that I wasn't singling you out personally (or G&G for that matter). Good on you, mate. And thanks for that. I think I just get so tired of manufactures trying to represent what they do as "as good as" or "the best" etc.. It's like the advertisements you used to see on TV now and again urging you to get your mother (sister, wife, girlfriend) a purse made of "genuine faux leather."

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I see no reason why MTO would be hand lasted as opposed to RTW. As far as I am concerned MTO is RTW with user input. The MTO markup is nearly enough to take hand lasting into account.

The caveat exist as I do not know the answer. Rather than speculate, I lay bare my ignorance.

Not sending you any flowers, but...I like you. You get it and you're not defensive...you understand that I wasn't singling you out personally (or G&G for that matter). Good on you, mate. And thanks for that.

I think I just get so tired of manufactures trying to represent what they do as "as good as" or "the best" etc.. It's like the advertisements you used to see on TV now and again urging you to get your mother (sister, wife, girlfriend) a purse made of "genuine faux leather."

Thank you.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Not sending you any flowers, but...I like you. You get it and you're not defensive...you understand that I wasn't singling you out personally (or G&G for that matter). Good on you, mate. And thanks for that.

I think I just get so tired of manufactures trying to represent what they do as "as good as" or "the best" etc.. It's like the advertisements you used to see on TV now and again urging you to get your mother (sister, wife, girlfriend) a purse made of "genuine faux leather."

DWF

When are we going to get you to Hong Kong for foot measuring ?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the lasting machine, which I was told is about 80 years old.

standard.jpg

Amazing those machines can last (no pun intended) that long. That thing must have eaten up gallons of WD-40 over the years!

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
DWF When are we going to get you to Hong Kong for foot measuring ?
Right after my clone matures and I shed this creaky old husk and I get a mind meld to the new body. Oh...and make my first million (making bespoke shoes, of course).
laugh.gif
Seriously, Scotland and the auld fief comes first.

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Amazing those machines can last (no pun intended) that long. That thing must have eaten up gallons of WD-40 over the years!

Turn of the nineteenth century machinery (of any sort: woodworking, metal milling, ect) and up to the 1940s were designed and built to last forever. Everything was properly forged, hardenned and machined, or if castings were used, were of very heavy and careful nature. Aside from the CNC function that are available now on new machines everything else mechanical is inferior to the past and design to be cheap to build. Lots of sheet metal stampings, drawings and resistence weldings. Longevity is no longer part of the equation.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Right after my clone matures and I shed this creaky old husk and I get a mind meld to the new body. Oh...and make my first million (making bespoke shoes, of course).
laugh.gif
Seriously, Scotland and the auld fief comes first.

DW, completely random question, but how much alligator skin would you need to make a pair of shoes? If its a custom project and you supply the skin - US size 9.5.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenon
Turn of the nineteenth century machinery (of any sort: woodworking, metal milling, ect) and up to the 1940s were designed and built to last forever. Everything was properly forged, hardenned and machined, or if castings were used, were of very heavy and careful nature. Aside from the CNC function that are available now on new machines everything else mechanical is inferior to the past and design to be cheap to build. Lots of sheet metal stampings, drawings and resistence weldings. Longevity is no longer part of the equation.

+1

Things were made to last in those days. That's sadly no longer the case.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
DW, completely random question, but how much alligator skin would you need to make a pair of shoes? If its a custom project and you supply the skin - US size 9.5.
Spoo, I'd be nervous with anything less than two matching 28cm skins. I can see it taking less than all of the skins but to get matching vamps and have enough left over for quarters and counters I think you'd need at least that much. I've never measured the leather I use for a calf skin shoe...not in centimeters, not in this fashion...simply because you're not limited with calf like you are with alligator. But it takes two 30 cm skins with wide clear throats...meaning sometimes you're not always gonna get wide clear throats and will have to order a third skin...to make a pair of boots with the foot only in gator. All that said I wouldn't use the tail...or so little of it as to be insignificant. I just don't think that tail is of high enough aesthetic (or functional) quality to give to a bespoke customer. But probably most manufacturers would and if you did that you might get three pair out of four skins or something along those lines.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads