• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

lennier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
So where do you guys buy show polish? MrMinit? That's the only store I know or just go down to the local shoe repairer? or buy online?
I got my current lot - and some decent horse hair polishing brushes - at McClouds on Queen Street.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Voi Italian mens shop on Castlereagh has been a good place for me to hunt for years for OTR suits and shirts and shoes. They have a store in Naples and I think the stuff remaining is sent out to Oz. For those in Sydney (particularly small sizes) there are some nice shoes in there on sale. I got a nice pair of navy blue PTB (is that what the yanks call plain fronts) suede shoes by Fratelli Peluso. Very much like the Leather Soul Aldens but better. Top shoes and there are a lot of top brands there - though unfortunately Italy seems to be moving a lot to corrected grain/cobbler/binder leather even in the top names.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received an Allen Edmonds Spring 2011 catalogue and while its great the $ is so strong, looking though it brings mixed emotions, drooling, but that would not be appropriate at my age or donning a hair shirt and weeping.

The annoying thing is that they don't ship direct to Oz and you have to go through an agent in the US, merde!

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
jack london make pretty slim stuff

Do they ever!

I tried on a pair of trousers in there a while back. My ahem... groinal area looked like two eggs in a napkin.

Jack London's erfect clothing for all those pigeon-legged hipster types Melbourne has it in it's droves, and who're accustomed to wearing (and this may not be worded correctly) Cheap Monday jeans all year round.

Shite for the rest of us who don't have legs that hang out of a nest.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are Jack London's prices like? Never been a big fan of entering quiet shops where I am the only customer, with no intention of buying anything but to only balk at the ridiculous prices.

Might be interested in a coat, but expecting wool blend with price tag of $500.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
Do they ever!

I tried on a pair of trousers in there a while back. My ahem... groinal area looked like two eggs in a napkin.

lol8[1].gif

yoshii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
What are Jack London's prices like? Never been a big fan of entering quiet shops where I am the only customer, with no intention of buying anything but to only balk at the ridiculous prices.

Might be interested in a coat, but expecting wool blend with price tag of $500.

Suits are usually a wool blend, although some are 100% wool, with price around $500-$600.
Usually on sale after a couple of months for around $300ish.
Price generally reflects the quality you're getting though (def not worth it at full price imo). In saying that i find they usually have some more interesting patterns as opposed to the other general black/grey $600 suits you find elsewhere.

...plus the jackets fit me pretty much spot on most of the time, i usually size trousers up and get the waist taken in
smile.gif

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yoshii
Suits are usually a wool blend, although some are 100% wool, with price around $500-$600.
Usually on sale after a couple of months for around $300ish.
Price generally reflects the quality you're getting though (def not worth it at full price imo). In saying that i find they usually have some more interesting patterns as opposed to the other general black/grey $600 suits you find elsewhere.

...plus the jackets fit me pretty much spot on most of the time, i usually size trousers up and get the waist taken in
smile.gif

They seem to have a sale every other week too.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Jack London is pretty much like Oxford?

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
I also couldn't believe quite how 'slim' Jack London stuff was. A couple of years ago I went in to check out a coat I liked the look of and the largest size they had was what I would call a small in all other sizes. The shoulders were a good 5-10cm too small.

I walked out after making awkward eye contact with the attendants that showed no interest in me, the only person in their store, might I add.

Has anyone got some experience with Brooks Brothers chinos or other pants? $50 shipping is a bit much but I'm pretty keen on getting some better chinos and with the sale atm it works out to be pretty reasonable. Not a fan of the quality of CR ones I've got and most other brands here don't seem to offer a cut that is 'slim'. Wool flannel trousers for $110 are kinda tempting aswell.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jimbosaurus
... The shoulders were a good 5-10cm too small...

Good news for me! I have a hard time finding shoulders narrow enough for me.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Good news for me! I have a hard time finding shoulders narrow enough for me.

Look buddy - you stick with getting your socks and shoes right first - then we'll guide you onto the harder stuff - like orange spotted glowing fun ties and pants and jackets.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jimbosaurus
I also couldn't believe quite how 'slim' Jack London stuff was. A couple of years ago I went in to check out a coat I liked the look of and the largest size they had was what I would call a small in all other sizes. The shoulders were a good 5-10cm too small.

I walked out after making awkward eye contact with the attendants that showed no interest in me, the only person in their store, might I add.

Has anyone got some experience with Brooks Brothers chinos or other pants? $50 shipping is a bit much but I'm pretty keen on getting some better chinos and with the sale atm it works out to be pretty reasonable. Not a fan of the quality of CR ones I've got and most other brands here don't seem to offer a cut that is 'slim'. Wool flannel trousers for $110 are kinda tempting aswell.

You might give MJ Bale a try - chinos are a nice slim cut, MIJ, though a bit on the exxy side unless you can kop on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads