• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarlee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
Shite for the rest of us who don't have legs that hang out of a nest.
Beautifully put. Standard is high today. In another thread I've just read on of the best one-liners ever. The killer line is not far down so read the thread from the top.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to find slim polos locally? I'm 5'10" and super skinny...

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tobiasj
Has anyone been able to find slim polos locally? I'm 5'10" and super skinny...

Not hard to find... All the fashiony labels offer slim polos.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Places like Oxford, Saba, etc. And Ralph Lauren is always an option.

PregnantBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
DJs

Ps. Dont do it

lol

Gents.

Here's question that's been bugging me. It applies to everyone but I'd rather listen to people closer to home.

You know when you see classic style errors (such as bottom button done up on a jacket or someone wearing a dinner jacket with notch lapels (i'm sorry but i absolute hate the look)...

...where do you stand on voicing your opinion?

I never want to sounds like a pompous arsehole so I try my best to politely say something like "Tradtionally..." and go on, so as not to sound like they've made an error but rather gone against tradition...

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Never, ever say anything to anyone. It only leads to pain and suffering (usually your own).

__PG__

Reaction score
If I know the person well I'll call them on it. Not so much the notch-lapel on a dinner suit (as everyone does it..including James Bond)...but I've pointed out to good friends that they shouldn't do up their bottom button because of a tradition going back to Henry VIII etc.

But I'm known for being blunt and honest with my friends so they've already forgiven me in advance.

I wouldn't do it to anyone I didn't know however...even casual acquaintances I'd probably stay clear.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bottom button thing... Only remind your friends.

Also there is etiquette to it:

You have to be discreet as not to embarrass your friend in public. The key is to not to draw any attention to the fact that his bottom button is done up:

1. Put your arm around him as to say 'Aye how's it going, mate!'
2. With your free hand reach down and slowly unbutton his bottom button - sudden movements draw attention.
3. Should your friend ask what you are doing, quietly tell him the truth about the button as one should always be honest with friends: "I can't take this any longer."
4. Friend will acknowledge the fact that he has committed a faux pas and fall into silent agreement, allowing you to finish.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif
More likely friend will say "we're just friends" or "what the f**k are you doing mate".

jessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
I will retort only if someone says something to me. For example, recent questioning of my use of a pocket square led to rapid critical decontruction of the instigator's outfit, character and parentage.

She learnt her lesson.

"SHE learnt her lesson" Classic!

youngnstupid

Reaction score
It was pretty common knowledge in my Highschool that you never button the bottom button of your blazer. The teachers were often relentless with it. And since people who generally wear blazers in my age bracket are the trendy kids i would more bluntly just suggest that they should unbutton it as it looks better.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads