• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a tie at work when no one else does

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
You often dress better than God...

Originally Posted by pvrhye
Hmm, harms my south american dictator theory. Then again, he could still be a dictator, but owe allegiant to something like SPECTRE.

You guys are ridiculous
laugh.gif

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
In a business casual office I think you get a lot more mileage from good pants, nice shoes, well fitting shirt, occasional sports coat. Slapping on a tie when no one else does screams try hard.

Yeah, I'd hate for my superiors to think I try hard.
sarcasm.gif

Dewi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I wish I had your problem... I feel like over-dressing when I have nice shoes, cotton pants and a shirt on.
confused.gif

The other day we had a meeting with a lead engineer from one of the biggest companies in the world. As he walked in I almost felt delighted, because he was wearing a nice fitting shirt (seemed to be a BB OCBD), but then my eyes traveled down and I saw his dirty tennis shoes and the reality of my field slapped me back into disappointment.

Don't wear a tie. Standing out way too much is never good.

Not all of us engineers are that bad. I've gotten much better since SF, but still not quite there yet.

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imo, as long as you aren't obnoxious about it, there's nothing wrong with being *that guy*
co-workers have come to expect me to be dressed to the 9s.
there are worse things to be known for.

...like being dressed to the 9s and consistently doing shoddy work.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I wear a tie every day. Im the only person in my office who does. the VP wears an old black sports coat with no tie. I got poked fun of a lot when I started....but now, theres always a handfull of people who will wear a tie once a week or so. And they were the ones who laughed at me for wearing one.

I say nothing wrong with it. id probably skip the 3 piece suit and FC shirts....but hell, id even wear that sometimes.
wink.gif
Wear what youre comfortable in. thats all that matters.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
You guys are ridiculous
laugh.gif

You joke because I'm onto it. As far as I'm concerned Spooployment is the mystery to solve these days. You seem to go through expensive new stuff like my cat destroys toilet paper, and your house has a highly unusual number of fountains and gargoyles. You have plenty of time to post, so you must do something that doesn't keep you busy 8 hours a day. My first guess is some kind of clothes related resale since you seem to have some kind of steady supply that keeps you freshly dressed and with a long B&S list, but you also sell a lot of non-clothing related items in your Ebay listings. Your house is a little too nice for just a guy running a consignment shop though. So I have no idea and very few clues. EDIT: Oh, and a while back someone mentioned stealing the life of either your or neoinfinitia. Clearly they haven't seen any of Tibor's pictures.

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
imo, as long as you aren't obnoxious about it, there's nothing wrong with being *that guy* co-workers have come to expect me to be dressed to the 9s. there are worse things to be known for. ...like being dressed to the 9s and consistently doing shoddy work.
Yeah, honestly, even when I worked in a call centre, one of the OVERNIGHT agents would come to work looking sharp as hell every day. He was pretty much completely alone most nights, but still, he'd wear a nice suit, nice shoes, tie and all. Hell, some days he'd show up in a three-piece, meanwhile, even people who worked days couldn't be bothered to change out of their gym clothes 9 times out of 10. I never thought he was over-dressing, and neither did anyone else. I just thought that's how he is, and he looked sharp as hell. I think it's all about context. When you show up to work wearing ratty jeans and a t-shirt every day, yes, you will look like you're "trying to impress someone" when you show up in a suit one day. But when people see you every day wearing a jacket and tie, they eventually just accept it as a part of your personality.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Besides being an oxymoron, business casual is the worst thing to happen to the work place.

+1.

OP,

Mind you that your director may be from the era of being required to wear a tie daily and may be enjoying the 'freedom' of not wearing one. Offices, for whatever reason, have been fighting for loose dress codes for years. Lucky enough it seems to be reversing but I feel it's an uphill battle to require more when requiring less is much easier.

I feel the younger generation is definitely more into dressing well, the age demographic of people who I'm selling dress clothing too continues to get younger. The generation above mine rebelled by taking off the sportcoat and tie and my generation is rebelling by putting those two things back into the workplace.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I honestly dont think it was that much appreciated when i was the 'best dressed guy' in a business casual office. I'm stubborn, so I did it anyways, but I'm not sure it was 'career advancing'. Being well dressed is helpful in a sales/consulting/client facing career. That's when your boss and your boss' boss are going to think "I like this guy, I can always depend on him to be presentable".

Skanstull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
You don't put on your suit jacket every time you get out of your chair at the office do you?
laugh.gif

I do. Or at least when I'm going to stray longer from my desk than the bathrooms (15 meters)...

At my workplace most people wear tie, everybody wears a suit, mon-thur. Some people has adapted the casual friday. Some of them regret it when the ad hoc client meeting is necessary.

Bean Counter

Reaction score
I work in an office that requires full business attire, but a large client I spend a lot of time at - weeks at a time - is business casual. I forgoe this, as I enjoy dressing appropriately and professionally for work. At first I got comments from staffers but they've grown accustomed to me showing up suited-up. Secondly, the comments are now complements and I think the client appreciates me coming in and looking professional.

Personally I can't stand business casual as most people take advantage and stoop to the lowest possible form of it. I mean, said client above has dress down Fridays where jeans and pretty much anything goes. I don't know - some things are better left for the weekend...I can't take you seriously standing there in your jeans and Tap-out T-shirt while discussing important business matters.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
You joke because I'm onto it. As far as I'm concerned Spooployment is the mystery to solve these days. You seem to go through expensive new stuff like my cat destroys toilet paper, and your house has a highly unusual number of fountains and gargoyles.

I think I know who Spoo is:
Xanatos.JPG

20845781729633611.png

kasakka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterMetro
I work for a media agency - which tends to be very (ahem) forgiving with our dress codes, especially in my field of digital. For years, I took full advantage of it and mixed in jeans, t-shirts, blazers, track jackets, etc. with my staple of dress shirts and v-necks. In fact, I owned several suits, but wore them only for meetings. From that point on, I never came to the office in less than a coat and tie - and most days I wore suits and ties. Virtually nobody else at the agency dressed that formally. There were some comments at first, but I never called attention to it and certainly never apologized for it. After a while, people just came to see it as part of my character and if I ever wore jeans, people would ask why I was so dressed down. Eventually, more and more guys at our shop wore suits and ties, where some of our meetings looked like a board meeting at Pierce & Pierce. If you were coming to the office in a top hat and tails, I'd say that was overdoing it. If you're looking down on people, it'll bite you ********** whether you're wearing a tie or not. But a tie because you feel like it? Go for it.
This is pretty much me. When I showed up one day in a suit they asked me if I was going to some special event (was going to the bank actually) but as I kept showing up occasionally in a suit they no longer pay much attention to it. People on the street do notice it because they rarely see guys under 30 dressed well..hell, it's rare to see even business people wearing a well fitting suit. If there is no dress code, I would wear something because I want to, not because everyone else is wearing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads