• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rayson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theRRshop
Thanks Rayson... About the book... I had it many times... It has no writing in it, so it is basically a photobook... I would only recommend it to Collectors who wants everything RRL has that is not 'clothing'... and not care what it costs. It has very few pages... you will see it listed every now and then... I would wait to see it listed at the $100 mark... unless again, it is something you must have. Here are some images I took...
Nice! Thanks for this, and the info. I like images, but I'm a texty kind of man so sounds like it shouldn't be top of my list. Does look sweet, though.

Rayson

Reaction score
A $1,000 book is as good a definition as any of what separates me from a collector. Lucky for you there are plenty of people in the world with more money and RRL interest than me!

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rayson
He has some good info and isn't all bad, though. Plenty of people are simultaneously good, bad and useful. Celine was a Nazi. I'm not saying he's a Nazi, and he sure as **** isn't Celine. OK, as usual I'm doing what we English call chatting ****.

I wanna know more about this other RRL book from 2001, by the way, if anybody can help. A link to some juicier screenshots of the inside would be lovely:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=300531492788

This is a hollow world, you know. I have a like-dislike thing with RRL. I even dislike the jean patch. I've taken it off, which is obviously more hollow than leaving it on. (I like some RRL logos a good deal though.) I've also "cleverly" transformed the ornate stitching on the back pockets into Levi's-style arcuate. Does anybody else do anything like this? Form an orderly queue to agree.

It depresses me that hollow celebrities like Tom Cruise, David Beckham and Usher wear RRL. Does anybody else feel this? Just jealous of their success? It depresses me to see theRRshop bullied. It depresses me when he asks for it, like when he's racist. OK, if I post in future I'll try to avoid so much weird but I've written it now.

i also did that arc mod on a pair of low straights. (most) RRL arcs were designed so that you could do that if you wanted to. i now regret it and wish i left it the same.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by osadolor619
. On a lighter note... Summer is creeping up on us, does anyone know of any cool light weight outfits to where around in the heat? I'm thinking like a light linenesque shirt and cargo shorts...
I cannot get linen to work. Linen shirts always end up all shapeless, droopy, and wrinkled. I've become a big fan of cotton mesh that is made into non-polo shirts; i.e. - no polo collar and no banded sleeves, but rather self collars and even button downs. Cargo shorts, though... in my opinion all shorts should be cargo shorts. Shorts are about ease of wear and utility. Plus you sit on the ground all the time during summer, and it's better to have all your stuff on the side of your leg than under your ass. Cargo shorts rule. Small disclaimer: I also believe that there's no way to make shorts look anything more than casual. I hate the "dressy" shorts look and would not be caught dead wearing loafers or psuedo-dress shoes and shorts. But that's just me...

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
Back on track please... Does RRL have chinos or khakis that are slightly less slim than the selvedge chinos, something between straights/low straights with an ~8.5" opening at a true 34 waist? Officer chinos?
Originally Posted by srgprod
Hi Froosh. That's all from RRL. They aren't exactly slim fit. Just well cut. I would try RL Rugby or check out Dockers. Those are slim cut and heavy weight chinos. $ 20 on sale at Urban Outfitters...
Epaulet seems to have some interesting ones, although I have not seen them in person.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
linen wrinkles the second you put it on. cotton mesh - you mean like a pique shirt? or a weave that is similar to pique knit?

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
linen wrinkles the second you put it on. cotton mesh - you mean like a pique shirt? or a weave that is similar to pique knit?

Like a pique knit weave, but made into a button-down shirt or a short sleeve pullover with collar, but not polo collar style (I'm just kind of sick of polo shirts). Does that make sense?

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srgprod
Hi Froosh. That's all from RRL. They aren't exactly slim fit. Just well cut. I would try RL Rugby or check out Dockers. Those are slim cut and heavy weight chinos. $ 20 on sale at Urban Outfitters...

So the selvedge chinos aren't all that slim? What about the officer chinos? Anybody have the leg opening measurements for a measured 34 waist chino?

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
I cannot get linen to work. Linen shirts always end up all shapeless, droopy, and wrinkled. I've become a big fan of cotton mesh that is made into non-polo shirts; i.e. - no polo collar and no banded sleeves, but rather self collars and even button downs.

Cargo shorts, though... in my opinion all shorts should be cargo shorts. Shorts are about ease of wear and utility. Plus you sit on the ground all the time during summer, and it's better to have all your stuff on the side of your leg than under your ass. Cargo shorts rule. Small disclaimer: I also believe that there's no way to make shorts look anything more than casual. I hate the "dressy" shorts look and would not be caught dead wearing loafers or psuedo-dress shoes and shorts. But that's just me...

Interesting post. I have heard so much dissing of cargo shorts recently. Personally, I love cargo shorts. Guys who try and make shorts dressy by wearing a 'third piece' (tie, sweater, or jacket) and loafers look like they are trying too hard. Its a common look for deep south frats and I think it looks horrible.

Dodo

Reaction score
Hi guys, help needed: where can I find an online store to buy a rrl gray oxford striped shirt for a chest 40" at a good price?
thanks

Rayson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
i also did that arc mod on a pair of low straights. (most) RRL arcs were designed so that you could do that if you wanted to. i now regret it and wish i left it the same.

Yeah, I've decided to get rid of it all if I go off the effect.

Originally Posted by jimmyfingers
I have heard so much dissing of cargo shorts recently. Personally, I love cargo shorts. Guys who try and make shorts dressy by wearing a 'third piece' (tie, sweater, or jacket) and loafers look like they are trying too hard. Its a common look for deep south frats and I think it looks horrible.

I like these rather than cargo shorts:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NWT-Ralph-Laur...item2eb43ad02a

The dressiest I'd go would be to match them with a reasonably clean-looking T-shirt and the pair of canvas shoes that are falling apart least.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads