• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
So I was in Singapore for a week and didn't get to try Durian even once.

That upsets you why?

Also, loved Singapore. Was upset when I couldn't eat at a Hawkers' Centre.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Soup, mostly.

Here is another one I've noticed: restaurants giving their dishes pretentious and nonsensical names. This may just be a Quebec thing. This week I've seen "une tombÃ
00a9.png
e d'asperges" ("a falling of asparagus"), "une harmonie de pÃ
00a9.png
toncles" ("a harmony of scallops"), and my favourite, "une crÃ
00a9.png
meuse maraÃ
00ae.png
chère" (which is actually just two adjectives and is untranslatable because it's gibberish. It means roughly "a creamy market gardening"). The waiter wouldn't even tell me what it was; it turned out to be vegetable soup with lots of crème fraÃ
00ae.png
che.
rolleyes.gif

yup. hate to sound crabby, but i really loathe the musical "duo of beef" and "trio of asparagus". so pretentious.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
yup. hate to sound crabby, but i really loathe the musical "duo of beef" and "trio of asparagus". so pretentious.

Even the "beef served three ways" type thing sort of bothers me. I'm not sure why.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also can't stand minimalism.

"Yum"

"Sweet"

"pig"

Just ******* write what it is, and don't tell me the farm it's from unless it is incredibly relevant. That's it.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
That upsets you why?

Also, loved Singapore. Was upset when I couldn't eat at a Hawkers' Centre.

Every European I know hated it so I wanted to see for myself. But they didn't have it when we looked for it at some markets.

But well, had local food for 6 days so I won't complain too much.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Fart. Air. Biscuit.
Fart, an air biscuit. Aroma rising gently Into my nostrils. (a haiku)

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Fart. Air. Biscuit.
YES. I hate that format too. Come to think of it, Sepia's menu didn't piss me off for that reason. They just said what was on your plate. I want to know the technique and the ingredient, that's it.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Fart, an air biscuit.
Aroma rising gently
Into my nostrils.

(a haiku)

laugh.gif

im considering sigging this

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
This.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder why every potato preparation being sold in restaurants that headline with the fact that they're made with duck fat really ******* suck.

Duck Fat fries are easily the weakest dish at The Bristol. And the Duck fat potatoes at Sepia were not that great. Also remember about 4 other times I've eaten "Duck fat x" at a few places, including in NYC, and they weren't that good.

Guess it's the next food trend. People have started to like duck as of about a year ago. The new scallops. At least "Wagyu" isn't on every menu ever anymore. I hope squab becomes cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads