Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 25, 2010.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I wonder why every potato preparation being sold in restaurants that headline with the fact that they're made with duck fat really fucking suck. Duck Fat fries are easily the weakest dish at The Bristol. And the Duck fat potatoes at Sepia were not that great. Also remember about 4 other times I've eaten "Duck fat x" at a few places, including in NYC, and they weren't that good. Guess it's the next food trend. People have started to like duck as of about a year ago. The new scallops. At least "Wagyu" isn't on every menu ever anymore. I hope squab becomes cool.
    I have to agree with this as well. Step up from truffle oil fries, at least.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I hope squab becomes cool.
    No, you really don't. Think about it. Duck fat is good. Scallops are good. Wagyu is good (if it's real wagyu and not american wagyu). Squab is fucking amazing, probably my favorite food ever. But once it becomes popular, it becomes ubiquitous. Once it becomes ubiquitous, 90% ofthe people that are doing it will end up doing it wrong, b/c they'll do squab since it's expected, not because they have a great squab dish in their heads. Then you'll just bitch about Top Squab.

3. SField

SField Senior member

I have to agree with this as well. Step up from truffle oil fries, at least.

Truffle oil should be banned. It's selling a lie.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Been having duck fat fries off and on for about two years. Had them at the place next to Symon's in Cleveland last summer and they sucked. Disappointment after a big build up. Had them 2-3 weeks ago, off the menu, at one of my places. Fries had obviously been blanched and they were fantastic. Home cut, only about 15 slices, paired with buffalo fillet. Really, really nicely done.

Matt gave me a menu for fingerlings potatoes with parsley and garlic done in duck fat. Perfect match with confit.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Been having duck fat fries off and on for about two years. Had them at the place next to Symon's in Cleveland last summer and they sucked. Disappointment after a big build up. Had them 2-3 weeks ago, off the menu, at one of my places. Fries had obviously been blanched and they were fantastic. Home cut, only about 15 slices, paired with buffalo fillet. Really, really nicely done. Matt gave me a menu for fingerlings potatoes with parsley and garlic done in duck fat. Perfect match with confit.
    Pommes Sarladaise. Great with confit. I slice, rather than use fingerlings, but it is just preference.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

+1 on the duck fat fries. Half the places I've had them at didn't have the oil hot enough to get a good crisp, shit was all mushy.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

pissing me off - didn't realize until checkout that the fucking guinea fowl I got was $40

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

[​IMG]

wtf is that? =/

9. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    wtf is that? =/
    Unfortunate

10. SField

SField Senior member

wtf is that? =/

It looks stupid but it's also the prelude to one of the best meals you can have in this country.

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

my LC grill pan gets burnt oil (?) spots on the finish that are hard as fuck to clean off. [​IMG]

12. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

I know what will piss all you foodies off:

Duck fat sweet potato fries

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Sweet potato fries in general piss me off. Seriously, how hard is it to fry these fucking things until they're crispy. I don't want a plate of just crisped, mushy fries. And put some salt on the motherfuckers. Apparently, having the word "sweet" means you can avoid using salt.

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

amen to that ramboaner, they usually have the consistency of baby food

15. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Extremely finicky male diners. I expect a ridiculously complicated order and probable send-back from women, but when men do it, I just want to slap them.

CSFLMM - yesterday morning, my girlfriend and I are at brunch. The food is delicious, she gets a bloody mary. Old guy next to us loudly complains that his bloody mary is too spicy - it's undrinkable. Now, I tasted my girlfriend's bloody mary, which came out within a minute of old guy's and it's pretty mild (and I'm not one for spicy foods) and delicious.

So the waitress, who was unfailingly polite, brings him another bloody mary. He complains (and he's from Brooklyn, which has the whiniest accent on planet Earth) again - "Whadda ya tryin to do, kill me?" I interject - "Hey man, if you can't handle it, you should just order some tomato juice and vodka. I mean, there's like a dozen women in here drinking bloody mary's and they're all handling it fine, but maybe you're just a little sensitive. You should try the tomato juice." He tells me to butt out. [​IMG] and gives me the stinkeye the rest of the meal. It was great, my gf and I were cracking up. I'm an asshole.