• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scotty
Hi, I'm venturing step by step into better shoes and I'm feeling insecure about what I know about clothes (very little), so I'll ask here. I work in an office with no dress code. People there dress casual but not t-shirts and old jeans and the boss wears a sport coat sometimes (me too
1159[1].gif
). I usually wear some kind of cotton pants (blue, khaki, brown) or dark jeans in blue though I've bought grey flannels for next winter and beige linen trousers for this summer. Would Loake Hiltons be too much for this attire ? It's a brown blucher but looks so "refined" to me that I'm not sure (I haven't had a shoe with a medallion before). Mine would be mid brown.
hilton.jpg

For most of the trousers you described these shoes are a little too light - tradition calls for your shoes to be darker than your pants. I'd look for something a bit darker if it is going to be your primary shoe year-round (at least until you really get the SF bug and have to buy an antique teak chest to hold your Summer shoe collection...
devil.gif

Scotty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
They look like they'll be fine.
Thanks, I had to hear it
satisfied.gif

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I would say they are ok for lighter colored trousers, however I think that a darker brown would work better for colors such as charcoal, or navy.

Originally Posted by imatlas
For most of the trousers you described these shoes are a little too light - tradition calls for your shoes to be darker than your pants. I'd look for something a bit darker if it is going to be your primary shoe year-round (at least until you really get the SF bug and have to buy an antique teak chest to hold your Summer shoe collection...
devil.gif

I'm thinking about mid brown. This picture was just to show the shoe. My question was more about the style of the shoe. Thanks anyway
wink.gif

schrag

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a decent shoemaker that does loafers with stretch panels between the vamp and the sides of the uppers? I have a high instep and can't even get my foot into most loafers, as they tend to be stitched tight to the sides. I know some cheap mall brands have the panels, but they're of the square-toed fake leather variety (spring, etc).

Alternatively: could a competent cobbler separate the tongue of the vamp and sew in some leather/stretch panels to alleviate the pressure on my instep? Is this a common alteration?

I'd like to have some casual loafers, but my foot seems determined to keep me bound to bluchers and other lace-ups.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden No. 8 Cordovan PTB. What can they be worn with? Specifically I want to know what wash jeans or suit colors would be a good choice? Also khakis?

Second, I chose the PTB because I thought it would be more versatile as to what I could wear it with (i.e. button-up and jeans or a gray suit for example). If I were to choose another style in the same color, say a long wing, is this considered more dressy (as I am guessing) or can it also be worn with the same outfits?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gauss17
Alden No. 8 Cordovan PTB. What can they be worn with? Specifically I want to know what wash jeans or suit colors would be a good choice? Also khakis?

Second, I chose the PTB because I thought it would be more versatile as to what I could wear it with (i.e. button-up and jeans or a gray suit for example). If I were to choose another style in the same color, say a long wing, is this considered more dressy (as I am guessing) or can it also be worn with the same outfits?

Long wings are actually less dressy than PTBs (the plainer the shoe, the more formal). Hardcore traditionalists would say neither is appropriate for suit wear, as both are bluchers. That said, the current style is to pair longwings with slim fit suits, and it can look excellent.

Overall PTBs do seem a bit more versatile than LWBs. Colorwise, #8 goes well with a wide range of colors - darker browns and blues, the full range of greys. The only color I won't wear it with is black.

nohio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nananine
Quick question, what if I have a suit jacket that's pretty darn far off in sizing. Like four inches off the chest (23" instead of a 19") and the same for the shoulders. Could this be tailored, or is it just too large?

The tailor would essentially be remaking the jacket, which is to say, that it would be about as expensive as having a new one made for you. The shoulders are one of the most difficult things to alter on a jacket, anyway. In the future, make sure the jacket fits there very well. Length is also difficult to alter (although, a jacket can sometimes be shortened a small amount without throwing off the balance).

nohio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lyon_BC
Can anyone help me with identifying the pattern on this coat, is it tweed?: http://min.us/mvoaJM7
Looks like Prince of Wales check, which is a particular variation of glen plaid, which is a type of tweed. (Ref 1) (Ref 2). Edit: Actually, the checks might be a little small for a real POW, but you get the idea.

kerouacbum

Reaction score
Going to a Memorial Day weekend wedding, date is wearing a peach dress with some tan in it. I'm either going with a khaki poplin suit or a medium grey. I don't want to look like her prom date and wear a peach tie, but I was thinking of a peach/pink gingham pocket square. I just don't know what color tie to pair with that sort of pocket square and suit. Suggestions? Light blue?

Edit: either wearing a light blue or white shirt.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nohio
Looks like Prince of Wales check, which is a particular variation of glen plaid, which is a type of tweed. (Ref 1) (Ref 2).

Edit: Actually, the checks might be a little small for a real POW, but you get the idea.

Uh, what? Price of Wales and glen plaid are patterns. Tweed is a fabric with a specific weave.

That jacket is NOT tweed.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to lengthen the bottom of a canvassed suit? Also, is there inherently material in the sleeve to lengthen from the shoulder? I am looking at a canvassed suit on here and it will need some adjustments. Thank you

nohio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Uh, what? Price of Wales and glen plaid are patterns. Tweed is a fabric with a specific weave. That jacket is NOT tweed.
Tweed is not a "specific" weave. Tweeds can be made using several different weaves. Per Manton:
Originally Posted by Manton
Glen-plaid is the genus; Prince of Wales is the species. "Glen-plaid" is short for glenurqhardt, a specific Scottish estate tweed pattern that can be woven in an almost any scale and in any color(s). Prince of Wales plaid is a specific glenurqhardt that is large-scale and has a rust-red, cream, gray and black color scheme.
EDIT: I see now what you didn't like about my answer. Yes, GP and POW are not "types" of tweed, but rather "patterns" found on tweed jackets.

Lyon_BC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Uh, what? Price of Wales and glen plaid are patterns. Tweed is a fabric with a specific weave.

That jacket is NOT tweed.

Originally Posted by nohio
Looks like Prince of Wales check, which is a particular variation of glen plaid, which is a type of tweed. (Ref 1) (Ref 2).

Edit: Actually, the checks might be a little small for a real POW, but you get the idea.

Thank you both for your responses, so is it simply a wool jacket w/ a GP pattern? Sorry if these are redundant questions but I'm new to this and trying to figure out exactly what the pattern is on the jacket

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads