• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much polyester is in your dress shirts?

FrankNine

Reaction score
The odd shirt might be a slik/wool/polyester mix of some sort but 9 times out of 10 im a cotton lover.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bane
+1
Though, I mistakenly purchased one with 3% spandex and have yet to return it. Rest assured it's going back to the retailer.

Nothing wrong with a little spandex in your shirt to give it some boing, especially with slimmer shirts! 3% is max though.

Flartchy

Reaction score
I sense a certain pride in those who wear 100% cotton. Is it a socioeconomic thing, at heart? Veblen good?

happyxix

Reaction score
My favorite shirt have 3% XLA... whatever that is (i think some sort of rubber..)

But rest all cotton... even the non wrinkles

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by happyxix
My favorite shirt have 3% XLA... whatever that is (i think some sort of rubber..)

But rest all cotton... even the non wrinkles

XLA is DOW's proprietary elastic fibre. Essentially spandex. Used by Brooks for some of their shirts, and others to give stretch.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
Pardon my french, but who the **** wears polyester shirts?

Probably not the natural fibre aficionados of SF. But most normal people I see everyday wear poly-cotton shirts without even giving a second thought.

I tend to favour 100% natural fibre shirts because they're less sweaty, but it's not always an option I have.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flartchy
I sense a certain pride in those who wear 100% cotton. Is it a socioeconomic thing, at heart? Veblen good?

Only if Veblen had a theory about conspicuous display of BO.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thread translation: hey guys, I only spend $50 on shirts. Who's with me?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Thread translation: hey guys, I only spend $50 on shirts. Who's with me?

I barely spend more than that on my shirts (ModernTailor etc), and I still don't have any that contain polyester.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I barely spend more than that on my shirts (ModernTailor etc), and I still don't have any that contain polyester.

Ditto. All my dress shirts are cotton or linen.

I don't think I even have more than 1 t-shirt that is not 100% cotton.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

My newest shirt cost me $9... and that too is 100% cotton.

Xenon

Reaction score
every single shirt I own (over 200) is 100% coton according to label. I am OCD fascist about this.

Polyester, spandex and any other plastic derivative is (insert profanity a mile long) vile and has a special place in hell. The non iron characteristics .....well I won't even go there.

Things is there are some of my shirts that say 100% coton but I suspect are not. They have this nastiness that makes me think there is some synthetic in there, Maybe resin? I no longer wear these.

I think labels should disclose any added synthetic finishing to 100% coton so that we may avoid these. Personally I now only buy DJA high count shirts as these feel the most natural.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The thread holding your shirts together is almost certainly polyester. Just an FYI.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads