• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much polyester is in your dress shirts?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
The thread holding your shirts together is almost certainly polyester. Just an FYI.

True. Better shirts may use cotton thread, and I have a reel for making my own, but I suspect the lower-end MTM shirts will use poly thread. Still, that doesn't really make any difference to how they feel or wear like weaving it into the fabric does.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You make your own thread? That's hardcore.

FWIW in my extremely cursory testing, poly thread is much stronger than cotton. It's not even close. It's also a lot cheaper.

That said my last 15 shirts were made with tex 20 cotton and they seem to be holding up okay.

Flartchy

Reaction score
Please don't tell em the thread is polyester, they will rip those shirts off their back in disgust. One person here has already burned his entire collection of 100% cotton shirts because of it.

I smell revolution.

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flartchy
I smell revolution.

There should be a revolution!!
biggrin.gif

personally I would setup a secret police/special force and do 1 thing:

1) outlaw all solid non medicinale petroleum derivatives. Yup you bet .. say good bye to plastics, good riddence! anything you purchase from now on would be made of wood, metal, stone, leather or natural fiber.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenon
1) outlaw all solid non medicinale petroleum derivatives. Yup you bet .. say good bye to plastics, good riddence! anything you purchase from now on would be made of wood, metal, stone, leather or natural fiber.

The sound of screeching tires drowned out the softly bubbling conversations on the terrace. Diners glanced up and noticed that a black van with tinted windows had pulled up onto the sidewalk. It had no markings of any kind, aside from "sf" in red lettering on the front passenger door.

The side door slid open soundlessly, and half a dozen burly figures in slim-fitting black uniforms poured out. One of them gestured towards the terrace with his baton, and the others followed him as he leapt over the low wrought-iron fence.

"Excuse me, sirs," said a balding man in a white dinner jacket, "Chez RJ is an exclusive restaurant. I'm afraid you'll have to present some identification."

"Stuff it," growled the tallest figure, "We're here on official sartorial business." He raised the visor of his helmet and glared at the maitre d' as he shoved him aside.

"Target sighted," said another uniformed figure. "He's wearing an olive tweed jacket and rust-coloured cords. By the kitchen entrance."

"I'm on him," said another, as he pushed his way through the crowd.

The man in question goggled at the black-clad squad as it approached him. He bolted from his chair and ran into the kitchen. And proceeded to collide with a two-foot wide wall of muscle. "I got 'im, Sarge!"

"FREEZE! SARTORIAL INSPECTION," shouted the sergeant. "Check his shirt and shoes!"

Two officers seized the man's arms while a third grabbed one of this shoes and inspected the sole, while a fourth pulled back his collar to read the tag. "Glued on rubber soles, and corrected grain," called out the man at the shoes.

"This here tag says the shirt's 50/50, and it doesn't have removable collar stays. You want I should check the jacket, sarge?

"No need," said the sergeant, "We've got all we need to take this scumbag away. Cuff him."

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's the point if you're using store-bought thread?

Anyway, I got a cone of Gutermann Mara 150 [polyester] a while back, but I haven't had a chance to see how it compares to the cotton thread (other than confirming that it's much stronger). Been kind of busy lately. But I have to say that I don't think polyester thread is a sign of an inferior or cheaper shirt.

emptym

Reaction score
I have a few and I love them. They provide a little warmth in the winter and a little better moisture management in the summer. My favorites are from Arrow, Eagle or Hathaway and thrifted for a dollar or three.

Flartchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
I have to say that I don't think polyester thread is a sign of an inferior or cheaper shirt.
TRAITOR
plain.gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely none.

However would any discerning person do otherwise?

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
The sound of screeching tires drowned out the softly bubbling conversations on the terrace. Diners glanced up and noticed that a black van with tinted windows had pulled up onto the sidewalk. It had no markings of any kind, aside from "sf" in red lettering on the front passenger door.

The side door slid open soundlessly, and half a dozen burly figures in slim-fitting black uniforms poured out. One of them gestured towards the terrace with his baton, and the others followed him as he leapt over the low wrought-iron fence.

"Excuse me, sirs," said a balding man in a white dinner jacket, "Chez RJ is an exclusive restaurant. I'm afraid you'll have to present some identification."

"Stuff it," growled the tallest figure, "We're here on official sartorial business." He raised the visor of his helmet and glared at the maitre d' as he shoved him aside.

"Target sighted," said another uniformed figure. "He's wearing an olive tweed jacket and rust-coloured cords. By the kitchen entrance."

"I'm on him," said another, as he pushed his way through the crowd.

The man in question goggled at the black-clad squad as it approached him. He bolted from his chair and ran into the kitchen. And proceeded to collide with a two-foot wide wall of muscle. "I got 'im, Sarge!"

"FREEZE! SARTORIAL INSPECTION," shouted the sergeant. "Check his shirt and shoes!"

Two officers seized the man's arms while a third grabbed one of this shoes and inspected the sole, while a fourth pulled back his collar to read the tag. "Glued on rubber soles, and corrected grain," called out the man at the shoes.

"This here tag says the shirt's 50/50, and it doesn't have removable collar stays. You want I should check the jacket, sarge?

"No need," said the sergeant, "We've got all we need to take this scumbag away. Cuff him."

laugh.gif
feeling it - like the way you think, but I'm guessing they just came from a funeral?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sense a certain pride in those who wear 100% cotton. Is it a socioeconomic thing, at heart? Veblen good?
el oh el

Please don't tell em the thread is polyester, they will rip those shirts off their back in disgust. One person here has already burned his entire collection of 100% cotton shirts because of it.
Every time I see this guy's avatar beside a post I end up reading something that makes me cringe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads