• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Fit Shirts for Work, Best Value?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by runofthedill
I love when I worked at Polo and people wouldn't buy an item if it didn't have the horse.

So do the polo custom fit shirts have the horse?

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pitboss12
The British brands mentioned above or Brooks Brothers extra slim fit shirts work well. The BB shirts are currently priced above your range but during sales you can get them within your range.

I agree. I like Brooks Brothers slim fit shirt. If you go to their outlet, you should be able to some which fall under your price range.

Originally Posted by SirGrotius
I've seen HUGO (Boss's red label) for $40-$50.

I am a big Hugo Boss sucker! Their retail price can really high, so I would definitely grab some if I see them at that price.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grigory
You should try British sites like Hawes & Curtis, TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt

I'd not go for Hawes & Curtis if I were you. Things might have changed in the past couple of years but the quality is a step below TM Lewin or CT. The fit there probably isn't as slim as you're look for either. I think someone did a thread with reviews of these three and Harvie & Hudson not long ago with pics.

For what it's worth I'm wearing a Charles Tyrwhitt shirt now.

mmmmpay

Reaction score
"Do the polo "custom fit" shirts have that dang horse logo "

Most at Marshalls for 35$ do have the horse, and they are mostly oxford buttondowns with the pony. That said, in my experience there are occasionally custom fit dressed shirts mixed in, either inappropriately marked at 35$ or at 60, as they retail for more than the logoed ones.

DKNY, among Macy's brands, is perhaps the slimmest, if that's something to consider.

I'll put my hat in for Nordstrom brand trim fits. The construction is better than comparably priced shirts and they make a nice effort at pattern matching on the shoulders. My only gripe now is that they are exclusively non-iron.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmmmpay
"Do the polo "custom fit" shirts have that dang horse logo "

Most at Marshalls for 35$ do have the horse, and they are mostly oxford buttondowns with the pony. That said, in my experience there are occasionally custom fit dressed shirts mixed in, either inappropriately marked at 35$ or at 60, as they retail for more than the logoed ones.

DKNY, among Macy's brands, is perhaps the slimmest, if that's something to consider.

I'll put my hat in for Nordstrom brand trim fits. The construction is better than comparably priced shirts and they make a nice effort at pattern matching on the shoulders. My only gripe now is that they are exclusively non-iron.

My TJMaxx had the custom fit ones last time I checked. Not sure on the price but if they fit well without alterations and are under $50 I'll be a happy man
biggrin.gif

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
BB on clearance go for $40 and usually can be had for 15 percent off that. Decent range of offerings and sizes on their website. Extra slim is the way to go.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
BB on clearance go for $40 and usually can be had for 15 percent off that. Decent range of offerings and sizes on their website. Extra slim is the way to go.

eh.gif
When/how?

I got my ESF shirts for $50 a piece and thought it was a great deal!

Booter

Reaction score
What's the general hatred for non-iron? BB (and others) market this as a selling point, but I notice the consensus here is against?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Booter
What's the general hatred for non-iron? BB (and others) market this as a selling point, but I notice the consensus here is against?

The chemicals hurt the shirts's durability. They feel unnatural, like cardboard. They don't look quite right. I think the general consensus is that a few wrinkles are natural and look fine. The texture isn't as nice either. Feels plasticy.

That being said I will keep my BB ESF non iron because they are so easy to care for/travel in, but prefer regular cotton.

Dressed2the9s

Reaction score
EXPRESS (men) have great solid shirts in a variety of colors including you basic financial/corporate job colors (whites, french and light blue, etc). Their 1MX shirts come in Fitted and now extra-slim fit (online offer only). They are the buy one (for $50.00) and get the 2nd one half off (if you can find a better deal, let me know). Its the cheapest slim to extra slim fit shirt I could easly find.

The question I have, is where can you get slim fit French cuff shirts for $50 or less? Also note not all slim fit shirts are built the same. I tried on Banana Republic's slim fit French cuff shirts (in different sizes) and they could have passed for the classic fit shirts because they had way too much room in the waist and back.

Charles Tyrwhitt has more French cuff slim fit shirt options than Thomas Pink (and are cheaper, about $60 US dollars) but there are no Charles Tyrwhitt stores in my state and I'd prefer not to buy on online to "try it out" but I may have to.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dressed2the9s
EXPRESS (men) have great solid shirts in a variety of colors including you basic financial/corporate job colors (whites, french and light blue, etc). Their 1MX shirts come in Fitted and now extra-slim fit (online offer only). They are the buy one (for $50.00) and get the 2nd one half off (if you can find a better deal, let me know). Its the cheapest slim to extra slim fit shirt I could easly find.

The question I have, is where can you get slim fit French cuff shirts for $50 or less? Also note not all slim fit shirts are built the same. I tried on Banana Republic's slim fit French cuff shirts (in different sizes) and they could have passed for the classic fit shirts because they had way too much room in the waist and back.

Charles Tyrwhitt has more French cuff slim fit shirt options than Thomas Pink (and are cheaper, about $60 US dollars) but there are no Charles Tyrwhitt stores in my state and I'd prefer not to buy on online to "try it out" but I may have to.

TM Lewin comes to mind. Hell I would but JAB shirts before express shirts.

I had an express shirt from college, after washing it 3 times the collars were faded/turning up
plain.gif

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+ for Charles Tyrwhitt slim because of pattern selection, price and no front pockets (nice free option)... I also wear BB 1818 classic cotton, non-iron, and premium lines. I prefer the premium line w/o the pocket but they have limited patterns.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB non-iron are terrible, unless you are considering purchasing mine for sale in B&S. Apparently I got a batch of super soft, totally natural looking ones.

Express shirts look great in the store. When you put it on, the shirt starts getting a bad attitude. When you wash it, it transformers itself into possum carcass.

I have had good luck with PRL custom in Marshall's/TJ Maxx, actually. Otherwise, save the pennies and buy teh goodz.

Dressed2the9s

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
TM Lewin comes to mind. Hell I would but JAB shirts before express shirts.

I had an express shirt from college, after washing it 3 times the collars were faded/turning up
plain.gif

Hi Achilles, when was the last time you were in college because I had the same experience with Express shirts years ago and stopped buying until recently, I noticed they have changed the quality a bit.

Has anyone had success with Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit french cuff shirts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads