1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Slim Fit Shirts for Work, Best Value?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fa21212, Apr 26, 2011.

1. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    ^ Leave the house more frequently.

2. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

^ Leave the house more frequently.

But what if I miss something important on SF? [​IMG]

3. Petyot

Petyot Senior member

Can you please give me suggestions or web sites if I want to get slim fit shirts for work (I work in finance in an investment firm) for a reasonable price, hopefully $50 or less per shirt. Slim fit, ready-to-wear shirts have worked well in the past, but open to other suggestions if there are good values in the MTM space. I live in San Francisco and would prefer a retail store to a web site, but willing to go through a web site if they have a favorable return policy. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

http://www.landsend.com/ : their tailored shirts offer great value for the money (most of them less than $50)

4. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Forget slim fit. Wast of time.
    Find someone who alters shirts for $10.
    Then, you can buy anything on sale, even as low as $15, and it will be a perfect fit.
    Better than a $100 OTR shirt, in terms of fit.

5. acecow

acecow Senior member

Forget slim fit. Wast of time.
    Find someone who alters shirts for $10.
    Then, you can buy anything on sale, even as low as $15, and it will be a perfect fit.
    Better than a $100 OTR shirt, in terms of fit.

Absolutely not true. The most important thing in a dress shirt is how the armholes are cut. If they are low to begin with, you can alter the waist all you want, but it will never look or perform well.

6. Dressed2the9s

Dressed2the9s Senior member

I'd be very careful about wearing inexpensive French cuff shirts. There's nothing worse than cheap cuff links. It looks very tacky. If you're at the budget stage of your life, you should try to go with something simpler than trying to look overly fancy.

My .2 cents.

I agree you can spot cheap cuff links but in this case I'm looking for a reasonably priced french cuff shirt. Any recommendations?

7. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Absolutely not true. The most important thing in a dress shirt is how the armholes are cut. If they are low to begin with, you can alter the waist all you want, but it will never look or perform well.

When you alter a shirt, you take in the side, the armpit, and the sleeves in one sweeping stitch.
    Armholes are, in effect, moved up.

8. easternexp

easternexp Member

9. Chico2007

Chico2007 Senior member

I absolutely second this re Polo. However, if you hate the little man on a horse as I do, you'll want to keep your jacket on...

Yeah, the one custom fit Polo I have is the white BD w/ horse. I only wear it with casual stuff and if I have a SC on I leave it on..
    The Hilfiger Ithaca slim fits have no visible brand markings at all. I have two. Nice spread collars on a plain blue, and one with a small blue gingham. For $21.99 I think they are great shirts.

10. Dressed2the9s

Dressed2the9s Senior member

Yep. Ralph Lauren Black Label makes great classic slim-fit, business shirts with french cuffs for less than $300.00. You may want to just go custom made at that point. If only I could find slim fit french cuff shirts at the mall (without going online), the search continues....

11. m.gway

m.gway Well-Known Member

When you alter a shirt, you take in the side, the armpit, and the sleeves in one sweeping stitch.
    Armholes are, in effect, moved up.

Gotta agree with ace. No amount of work can make a poorly fitting shirt look great (I know, I've tried more than once). And no one would do that amount of work for $10. You're better off spending a little more and getting a decent fit.

12. happyxix

happyxix Member

Just a question: For those of you that does travel alot for work, how do you manage your shirts if they are not non-iron?

13. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just a question: For those of you that does travel alot for work, how do you manage your shirts if they are not non-iron?

I iron them.

14. Chico2007

Chico2007 Senior member

j crew

HAs anyone noticed that JCrew sleeves are now super long?

15. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

HAs anyone noticed that JCrew sleeves are now super long?

Really? I may have to go try their shirts on again. The biggest problem for me used to be that every part of the shirt fit great, except the sleeves were way too short.

16. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Iron them in the morning before you wear them. All hotels I've ever been in have an iron and ironing board in the rooms.

17. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

If you have a Marshall's or TJMaxx near you they usually have some Ralph Lauren Polo "custom fit" shirts for $34.99. I love them. Slim, but not restrictive. I also bought two Hilfiger Slim Fit dress shirts for $21.99 a piece. They fit me very well. Not top quality, but I like them for everyday "if these get trashed no big deal" action.

Were they slim fit or tailored fit? I found a TH ithica slim fit OCBD but I was worried it would be too baggy. (supposedly baggier than tailored)

Can anyone compare the fit?

18. NYCniceguy

NYCniceguy Well-Known Member

My problem with a lot of slim fit shirts is that if I pick my proper neck size (which is 15.5), it pulls in the chest. I have to go through extensive fitting room sessions every time I decide to try a new slim fit manufacturer. Tried on some shirts at Thomas Pink this week--no go, same problem, chest too tight.

Brooks Bros slim fit does fit me pretty well, haven't tried their super slim shirts yet.

The funny thing is that I'm not a gorilla bodybuilder with huge pecs or anything, just a regular skinny guy.

19. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

My problem with a lot of slim fit shirts is that if I pick my proper neck size (which is 15.5), it pulls in the chest. I have to go through extensive fitting room sessions every time I decide to try a new slim fit manufacturer. Tried on some shirts at Thomas Pink this week--no go, same problem, chest too tight.

Brooks Bros slim fit does fit me pretty well, haven't tried their super slim shirts yet.

The funny thing is that I'm not a gorilla bodybuilder with huge pecs or anything, just a regular skinny guy.

I had a similar problem with size 15 BB extra slim fit shirts. Chest is too tight and arms are too big. I think the best option is just to go MTM.