• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NHL 2010-2011 Season

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guster
Add this to your list. Hab's Max Pacioretty tweeted last night "this game is longer than Marchand's nose". Ok, things are said on the ice in battle but tweeting that type of stuff is just stupid.

And I see that Ferrance only got fined 2500 for his finger flip. Pathetic. By all accounts, Ferrance is a quality guy and he certainly has been playing good hockey. But that excuse of his is BS. Would have respected him more if he just came out and said he got caught up in the moment and apologized. Fine should have been much larger.

That's a ridiculous comment to make. As I've said, this league seems to to populated by idiots at all levels. It's just absurd that players do not feel that they are accountable for anything they do, be it on or off the ice.

I don't want to sound like a curmudgeon but it truly is ridiculous how little respect players have for each other, the fans, and the game as a whole. I think of the major sports hockey is by far the worst. Unfortunately the league and its fans are still under some type of delusion wherein the NBA and NFL are thug leagues and the NHL is some type of King's sport.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
In the only sport outside MMA where you can give someone a beating and not get charged, its not surprising that this happens. We need a new organizational culture, yes - kick out Bettman and Campbell. Having some new stiffer fines and some rule changes would help with a new crew in charge. Start handing out season suspensions and putting sanctions on players who commit certain actions. I'm sure Cooke would think twice if 50% of his salary was being garnished and the Pens had to match his full salary and pay it to a player's fund. Sound extreme? Well ****, nobody wants their brains leaking out onto the ice either. That being said, all of this is just objectively punishable violence that can be dealt with in a straightforward manner; all of the issues that you bring forward are akin to a child getting an inch and wanting a mile. Boudreau's gonna lip and Ryan's gonna stomp because they can. I agree with you in the sense that the NHL is doing a poor job of dealing with it, but realistically speaking its a physical game and only the discipline needs to change. I would MUCH rather have this than deal with a bunch of massively over-inflated egomaniacs playing basketball. The infuriating amount of hubris and arrogance in that game is ******* disgusting. Then you look at the rampant drug abuse in baseball, the corruption in soccer, etc. Mere excessive physical contact has an easy solution. Chest-thumping ghetto products playing hoops with egos the size of the sun makes me want to ******* vomit; there's no cure for that kind of thing. Having a culture of drug use and canonizing athletes who set records while using PEDS? Even better. Corruption charges stemming from match-fixing and entire games and tournaments being ruined because of a luddite officiating culture (remember Eng/Ger in the world cup)? The best. You look at a kid like Reimer, humble as dirt, goes to church on Sundays - and he has the entire weight of the Canadian ******* nation on his back. Then you look at someone like Lebron James or Cristiano Ronaldo or Barry Bonds, all of whom probably would've crowned themselves king of the world by now if they were able. Sure, you have your dirty players and the odd loudmouth in hockey, but the point I'm trying to make is that hockey as a sport is in good shape. We have a good culture and passionate fans. The NHL as a league needs a swift kick ********** in regards to the discipline issue, but the nature of the game means the physicality aspect will always be the main draw. Whether that be fans beating eachother, players beating eachother, or star players getting concussed, this is the main issue - and its easy to deal with. Other pro sports have a MASSIVE shitload of ingrained issues into it - we should be thankful we have a one-dimensional problem.
Again, this is the type of attitude that I don't get. The NHL is not at all morally superior to the NFL or NBA. Sorry, they just aren't. They have lower levels of criminality within their league but a lot of that is explained by the demographics of who plays. NBA and NFL players often come from tough backgrounds whereas NHL players are overwhelmingly from middle class. I think as a whole the NHL is more rotten at its core than any other pro league. They have absolutely terrible governance, players who answer to no one for dangerous hits and who can say whatever they want to the media, and fans that cheer it on while blindly thinking they are somehow above the excesses of the MLB, NFL, and NBA. The NBA has plenty of upstanding players and so does the NFL. Look at Kevin Durant or Tim Duncan or Steve Nash or Peyton Manning and Troy Polamalu. They also have plenty of jerks, just like the NHL. And to call the league's problems one dimensional is whistling past the graveyard if I've ever seen it.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crushing loss by the Sabres. They absolutely need to win that one in regulation. I could already tell they were gassed midway through the 3rd period and could tell they wouldn't do well in the overtime period. Barring a big goaltender meltdown in Game 7 I think the Flyers take this.

I'm fairly sure the East contenders were hoping for a Flyers loss. The Sabres have been punching above their weight and the Flyers have been playing way below their potential.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
Crushing loss by the Sabres. They absolutely need to win that one in regulation. I could already tell they were gassed midway through the 3rd period and could tell they wouldn't do well in the overtime period. Barring a big goaltender meltdown in Game 7 I think the Flyers take this.

I'm fairly sure the East contenders were hoping for a Flyers loss. The Sabres have been punching above their weight and the Flyers have been playing way below their potential.

Let's just hope that this is the case.

Chargersfan

Reaction score
I can only hope that the Blackc%cks all die in a flaming plane crash...into shark infested waters.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chargersfan
I can only hope that the Blackc%cks all die in a flaming plane crash...into shark infested waters.

Thats just fucked up.

What would happen if Luongo got hurt in the OT and couldn't continue...would the 'Nucks be forced to put a skater in pads?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope Schneider will be fine. I immediately thought ACL when I saw his right knee buckle. It'd suck for a young guy like to miss a year or more.

Also, yeah the Canucks would have to put some random skater in. I've never seem it happen, but once the Blues starting goalie was hurt and then the backup suffered a bad cut that officials let be patched up. The announcers said that if both goalies went out, the Blues would have to stuff some skater in pads.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would have to be MCL the way he was stretching I'd think. I sprained my MCL last summer making the exact same save.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
******* refs, tv time out on icing?!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
Luongo

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. For about ten minutes the Hawks couldn't win a single battle and Crawford kept them in it. Luongo made several clumsy saves before that goal.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone besides me (or diehard Canucks/Hawks fans) comment on whether the refs totally stole this game?

Regardless, the Canucks dominated OT but choked.

EDIT: This team is cursed. Who else gives up a penalty shot goal as well as the goalie in the process?

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Bettman has the refs in his pocket...and it's preordained that Chicago will win. I didn't really mean that I hope the Blackf&gs die in a horrible plane crash in shark infested waters....I hope they survive a horrible plane crash in shark infested waters...and die slowly as punk chum.

matik23

Reaction score
Vancouver about to really hate Chicago on Tuesday. Haaaaaa

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads