• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got back from the conservative business dress.

There are these multiple gangs of teenage girls around 14 - 16, in groups of 5 or 6, hanging around in an almost identical uniform of cut off denim short shorts showing bum cheeks, white singlets or crop tops, short white socks and sneakers.

Are they organised crime gangs of private school girls taking over from Hells Angels - due to the new laws - or are they following some fashion fad?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
...$109 for a suit jacket is amazing value compared to the overpriced crap we're used to...
Are they either 100% Wool or 100% Cotton? If they are other retailers should be crapping their pants. I saw a douchy Myer brand Blaq jacket that is 50% polyester for $200! fxh: weren't you paying a little too much attention to them? :p

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I just got back from the conservative business dress. There are these multiple gangs of teenage girls around 14 - 16, in groups of 5 or 6, hanging around in an almost identical uniform of cut off denim short shorts showing bum cheeks, white singlets or crop tops, short white socks and sneakers. Are they organised crime gangs of private school girls taking over from Hells Angels - due to the new laws - or are they following some fashion fad?
It's the same here. It's school holidays, and they're roaming the streets everywhere. The hotpants and singlet look is the latest fashion for teenage girls
confused.gif
plain.gif

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
It's the same here. It's school holidays, and they're roaming the streets everywhere. That's the latest fashion for teenage girls
confused.gif
plain.gif

There are hundreds of them heading out this way (Docklands) ... I'm guesssing there is a concert or something going on.

Anyone going to the MCC ball tonight?

__PG__

Reaction score
There were hoards at Southern Cross as well...it was like something out of the Twilight Zone.

I'm off to Elvis Costello tonight.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
There are hundreds of them heading out this way (Docklands) ... I'm guesssing there is a concert or something going on.

I can hazard a guess they are not going to the Bob Dylan concert.

Anyone going to the MCC ball tonight?

I was going but I'm still waiting on my green hermes leather breast wallet to be made - but even worse - I ordered a pair of pants from the worlds best pants maker in Napoli and they still haven't turned up*

* small trouser cuff pun - turn up.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
There were hoards at Southern Cross as well...it was like something out of the Twilight Zone.

I'm off to Elvis Costello tonight.

I saw MAvis Staples, Blind Boys and Aaron Neville last night - Mavis was just extraordinary and her guitarist - this guy Rick Holstrom was an amazing find for me.

I am being pestered to see Bob tonight - dunno

Sunday night its Toots & Maytals an big reggae show, Monday = Raul Malo

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really hate shopping for shoes online!
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

I have a pair of:
7.5UK from Herring thats 30.5cm long and 10.5cm wide
7.5UK of Sutor Mantellassi that's 29.5cm x 10cm
7.5AU of something I rather not mention that's measured about the same as the Sutors.

Herrings are much too big ( had to put in a thick insole and wear thick socks for them).
The Sutors fit nice and snug, as are those that should not be named.

Which of those are more close to the average 7.5UK measurements?
And what size should I get for a pair of Cheaneys in 11028 last?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
fxh: weren't you paying a little too much attention to them? :p

blahboy - these days I only look at them to wonder how they don't catch a cold or kidney chill.

Its all I can do to hold myself back from going over to them and saying "You really should cover up or you'll get a chill".

I also worry about them falling off very high heels.

As far as erotic interest - I prefer women not girls.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Are they either 100% Wool or 100% Cotton? If they are other retailers should be crapping their pants. I saw a douchy Myer brand Blaq jacket that is 50% polyester for $200!

If any of youse have been looking for a Harrington G9 /G4 type jacket - Sportscraft and Nautica have a few new models out. ~$200.

The Nautica is a lighter one with only elastic at a small side band. The Sportscraft has a fabric stretch around band but a heavier jacket.

I didn't really look at them much - just had a walkby. The Sportscraft at least has been looking at Barracuda and has a nod to the original with its checked/tartan lining.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
blahboy - these days I only look at them to wonder how they don't catch a cold or kidney chill.

Its all I can do to hold myself back from going over to them and saying "You really should cover up or you'll get a chill".

I also worry about them falling off very high heels.

As far as erotic interest - I prefer women not girls.

I was saying the same thing to my wife as a gaggle of them passed us walking down the street. A cold southerly was blowing, we were rugged up accordingly, and those girls looked like they were heading to the beach
eh.gif

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I just got back from the conservative business dress.

There are these multiple gangs of teenage girls around 14 - 16, in groups of 5 or 6, hanging around in an almost identical uniform of cut off denim short shorts showing bum cheeks, white singlets or crop tops, short white socks and sneakers.

Are they organised crime gangs of private school girls taking over from Hells Angels - due to the new laws - or are they following some fashion fad?

What's new with this? Don't you get out in public? Its been a look for while now, but with winter coming it should disappear till spring, but with the school holidays they flock in public en masse.

The wife works at a Catholic Girls HS and this look is the bane of their existence, that and those ballet pumps or was that last years fashion horror story. Now if it twenty somethings wearing those shorts that would be a different aesthetic valuation.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too tired and hung over to make much comment other than meh to the Age http://www.theage.com.au/executive-s...420-1doco.html
As well as to every one of those commentards. Funny thing is, this article makes no sense if it is applied generally and compared to an earlier article somewhere that states there is a growing number of people going all 'dandy' and what not. So a necktie is both dying AND growing in popularity.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
"I've even seen some men at black tie functions opting for the James Bond look - black suit and opened white shirt with the bow tie slung around the neck un-tied (very lame)"

Fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads