1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

If I knew what that meant I'd reply - I sincerely hope it doesn't mean you found an undocumented stash of peth in the impress cabinet?

[​IMG]

2. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

This moaning that tradies, or at least some tradies, are better off than many professionals, is redolent of jealousy and petty class consciousness. Seriously, if you think tradies are over paid and have it easy, pull up stumps and try working as one.

One of my dive buddies is an experienced brickie (I don't work in the construction industry so I'm not sure what his exact desigantion is) and he is not exactly living the high life. Yes, he goes diving, but he doesn't own a flash house or car, and can't afford overseas trips with his family.

3. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

It of course depends on your place in the medical hierarchy (e.g. consultant vs intern), but AFAIK this does not happen to any significant degree in metropolitan areas. The system has moved on from that, apparently. Work with them vs. work for you.

A pissed off nurse usually means a ward full of pissed off nurses which in turn usually means hell for a junior doctor. Seen this happen before, not fun at all.

Ha!

My wife's a nurse... I agree completely: pissed-off nurses = mucho bad news! [​IMG]

4. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Yes, my argument is that the Internet is helping to reduce market failure by providing more perfect information to consumers. This is one of the main problems with the DJ's etc. business model.

Yes, I was agreeing with you and pointing out that what was once an economic theory in some instances is becoming a bit of a reality. I know some will argue that the internetz do not contain all prices for all products but we are getting more and more informed. I know that I, and some of my friends, will not make a purchase before consulting a website.

I hope the internet will come to this thread.

Do not comprehend.

Ha!

My wife's a nurse... I agree completely: pissed-off nurses = mucho bad news! [​IMG]

My soon to be wife is an nursing unit manager at a major hospital. Pissing off a nurse is bad news (I know, I do it often). She reckons junior doctors get picked on by nurses all the time, and they can quite literally make life hell for them.

5. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I was interested to read about MIT's billion price project the other day. Just goes to show the power and potential of the web.

http://bpp.mit.edu/

6. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Whilst we're on the subject of medial salaries, a mate of mine has just graduated with his bachelor of dental surgery and has gained employment with an inner city Melbourne practice paying $126 p/h working 10 hours a week (5 on Sat, 5 on Mon).

He's on $65,520 p/a working 10 hours a week. Massive money for such little time commitment.

7. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

I recall reading somewhere that dentists were the highest paid professional out of uni.

8. ned kelly

ned kelly Active Member

I have a sibling who works as an anaesthetist in Canada. Canada has a National Health Service. The NHS sets the Doctors fees ,this limits Doctor's income as the can't charge above the set fee for any given service.About 5 years ago my sibling earnt about C$200,000 p.a. I was a patient in an Australian Hospital and when i went under a general anaesthetic. I told my sibling the cost of my anaesthetic . I was informed that this was triple the Canadian cost for the same procedure. If you triple the chargefor Australian Anaesthetists they will earn 600,000 p.a .

9. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Whilst we're on the subject of medial salaries, a mate of mine has just graduated with his bachelor of dental surgery and has gained employment with an inner city Melbourne practice paying $126 p/h working 10 hours a week (5 on Sat, 5 on Mon).

He's on $65,520 p/a working 10 hours a week. Massive money for such little time commitment.

One of my school mates is a dentist and the co-owner of a practice in the suburbs. He has not worked a full week for at least a decade, I believe. Then again, would I want his job? No.

10. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Dentists also have the highest rate or suicide.. truth

11. ColdEyedPugilist

My soon to be wife is an nursing unit manager at a major hospital. Pissing off a nurse is bad news (I know, I do it often). She reckons junior doctors get picked on by nurses all the time, and they can quite literally make life hell for them.

What you said x100

Gotta love them nurses!

12. blahman

blahman Senior member

13. ColdEyedPugilist

Time to free ourselves from our ties! Again.

Sigh... Into the breach once more, dear friends.

Whatisface on telly doesn't wear a tie = therefore you shouldn't

Expected response from the public: Baaaaaa... sheeple see, sheeple do... baaaa... baaaa

Did you read the posted comments for that article? Some were pretty hilarious.

14. ColdEyedPugilist

As tie wearers, we are all badass non-conformist rebels now. Aren't we cool?

Hooyah!

15. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I have a sibling who works as an anaesthetist in Canada. Canada has a National Health Service. The NHS sets the Doctors fees ,this limits Doctor's income as the can't charge above the set fee for any given service.About 5 years ago my sibling earnt about C$200,000 p.a. I was a patient in an Australian Hospital and when i went under a general anaesthetic. I told my sibling the cost of my anaesthetic . I was informed that this was triple the Canadian cost for the same procedure. If you triple the chargefor Australian Anaesthetists they will earn 600,000 p.a .

What do Canadian anaesthetists earn in the private health sector?

16. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Did you read the posted comments for that article? Some were pretty hilarious.

I refrain from reading the comments because at best they make my head hurt. I scanned them and found this beauty:

You go man!

17. elvish

elvish Senior member

a little off topic but talking of good service I think Harrolds are quite good.

A lot people say the staff are on you like a rash but I found the store manager in Sydney very helpful in directing me to what I wanted and alterations are free which is nice of them... granted the mark up makes it irrelevant but thoughtful none-the-less.

18. fxh

fxh Senior member

No ties

That article is another of the facile - isn't its year since we did an article on ties by getting a junior idiot reporter ringing a few advertisers - regular nonsense we see in the media.

Well you might look smart but you can't possibly look formal without a tie.

Asking a Humanities academic about how to dress well might be akin to asking Paris Hilton about hard work.

But. Hes about right.

Its the new uniform.

I don't have a problem with no tie - except that for very rare cases no tie and with a suit looks like crap - wear a sport jacket or no jacket but not the ubiquitous bloody black suit with open necked shirt.

I call absolute bullshit - you telling me that 60 clients of a "sales and marketing consultancy" actually asked them not to wear a tie ? Nonsense. Perhaps they asked them to justify their fees for garbled "advice" like this:

Well thats a relief - they wear pants! Hey can't wait to see these cats in shirts - no jacket - no tie but - wait for it - cufflinks! Oozes class

19. ColdEyedPugilist

a little off topic but talking of good service I think Harrolds are quite good.

A lot people say the staff are on you like a rash but I found the store manager in Sydney very helpful in directing me to what I wanted and alterations are free which is nice of them... granted the mark up makes it irrelevant but thoughtful none-the-less.

If you mean Gino... yes, he's a really nice guy.

Always a gent regardless of how much you spend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.