1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

Sunbeam make a good iron for the price. I bought a few brauns before from David Jones and they really weren't that good. Ended up exchanging a few times and then exchanged it for the sunbeam. I like irons with a bit of weight behind them too, so make sure the one you get is slightly heavy as I think it helps get the wrinkles out.

Thanks

I got the Tefal from Myers a few years back as that was the only place where someone could talk sensibly about irons and ironing - us iGents are fussy. A bit of weight is nice but you can add your own weight by pressing down.

The Tefal was the first non stick I've owned and it has been fine. Usually bad non sticks are a problem as you can't clean the non stick if it gets a bit iffy. Stainless steel bottoms can be cleaned easily.

2. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

That being said, I still go tie-less with suit often enough. I'm already dressing a little too well compared to the rest of the people in my current office. And when I'm in a navy suit, white slightly taller cut-away collar shirt, cardigan that end up looking a little waist-coaty, a tie and elegant shoes, I feel way overdressed. So I go tieless and pretend I'm channeling some FU Tom Ford 3piece no tie thing. Normal spread collar and no cardigan, I keep my tie on.

The MC firm I've gained graduate employment with next year never wear ties. During my 3 rounds of interviews, I saw multiple partners in jeans and polos, dress shirts and jeans, trousers and untucked shirts and the odd full suit minus tie. It was an absolute wasteland.

But never mind, I'll be wearing full suits + tie next year unless I'm directed otherwise. I'm not so sure as to how well regarded I'd be in the eyes of a client like the CEO of a multi-billion dollar business wearing only jeans and an OCBD.

3. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

Hira's Bespoke is coming to Sydney next week, Tuesday 28th June to Tuesday July 5th 2011 (from 3pm onward on Tuesday 28th) at the Sheraton on the Park, 161 Elizabeth Street, according to an email I just received from them (though I've never used them).

sounds a lot like raja fashions. i steer away from a website that has too much advertising.

Generally means they're trying to spend more time promoting their goods to increase their customers, rather than putting effort and care in doing a good job for each individual customer

4. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

*Edit: Re-reading my post, I did come across as being hostile. I edited to re-word myself*

I know we have gone wayyy off topic but I feel the need to justify this.

First of all, an anaesthetist does not easily earn over a million dollars. My anaesthetist colleagues who work both private & public don't even hit that target. They achieve their million dollar mark through investment and not easily through their job. Locum shifts through the year - definite yes (but hard to achieve but achievable). Otherwise, just an exaggeration. IMO.

I havent heard of a fully trained Medical Officer'. You are either fully trained (when you are a consultant.) or you are not (ie. intern/medical officers) or currently in training (ie. registrar).
    Medical officers are doctors not in training & not admitted to ANY specialty field. (Hence, 'fully-trained'?)
    Registrars (accredited) are considered doctors-in-training when they are registered with their college of specialty.

I havent heard of anyone being Registrar Year 7, unless they flunk their fellowship exams again & again & again. Neurosurg is not even that long.

And once upon a time, interns were paid shit & ward clerk owned them. Not year 1 Reg as you clearly mentioned.

Done.

Hang on- I know this is the internet but usually this australian thread has taken some pride in not indulging in the mad speculation and fantasy claims of other threads on

A year 7 Registrar = ~$52 an hour or over $110,000 a year - still in training.

Average nurse earnings are between $55K - $70k depending on weekend work, overtime etc.

Nurse earnings don't change much upwards over a career. Medical Officers do - a fully trained Medical Officer will earn well over the $110,000 or so a final year TRAINING registrar will earn.

An anaesthetist can easily earn over $1m a year AND decide when and where they wish to work.

There is nowhere that a ward clerk will be earning more than a Year 1 Registrar - Don't talk bullshit

5. elvish

elvish Senior member

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

*Edit: Re-reading my post, I did come across as being hostile. I edited to re-word myself*

No problem. Its the internet.

I'll reply sometime in next few days.

Yeah I dunno about year 7 Registrars but its in the AMA agreement - I can't remember now

7. porschemad911

porschemad911 Senior member

8. quar

quar Senior member

fxh, your numbers are a little out-dated. I have the Victorian EBA as a PDF on my computer. I am happy to email it to you if you want to have a look at current pay-grades. Registrar Year 1 (HM25) is currently 39.40 per hour. This would be a first year SET1 trainee or a first year Anesthetics / Radiology trainee, or a first year Advanced Trainee in Adult Medicine. HMO Year 1 / Intern (HM11) is currently 29.43 per hour. Of course, many HMO's do "Registrar" duties, and are paid the HM25 rate accordingly as per the EBA. Examples include Night Surgical Registrars (who are often non-SET trainees) and Basic Physician Trainees doing terms such as General Medicine (who are not advanced trainees). There is no ward clerk who gets paid higher than the HM11 level period. Suggesting so is just plain bullshit. BTW, these are Victorian pay-grades, which are the lowest in the country. Also, most of us work well above 76 hours per fortnight, and therefore are paid much more than our base salary. In my first year working as an Intern, I more than doubled my base salary in earnings. In fact, I continued to earn at least double my base salary. Many of my friends who work desk-jobs get their base salary regardless of how many hours they stay back at night to finish their work. Quarks. Plenty of people are paid at the Registrar Level 7 Grade (HM30). What do you think all of the Fellows at your hospital are paid? Consider a General Surgery Fellow, who has completed 5 years of SET, and then undertakes a 3 year fellowship in Colorectal Surgery to attain his Colorectal Society Australia / NZ Accreditation. What about a Cardiology Interventional Fellow who has completed 3 years Advanced Training in Cardiology, then a 1 year Cardiac MRI Fellowship and then commences his / her Interventional Training? These people do exist. And not because they fail exams, but because training often extends beyond gaining of FRACS, FRACP, etc. Quarks, I responded to your original post in a blunt way, personally because I think you were over-selling the stressors of our daily work commitments. Yes, we study a lot when we go home at night. Yes, we work long hours. And yes, occasionally (very occasionally), we deal with critically unwell patients without adequate support. But at the end of the day, it's not so bad most of the time.

9. bbboy05

bbboy05 Member

10. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

Quarks. Plenty of people are paid at the Registrar Level 7 Grade (HM30). What do you think all of the Fellows at your hospital are paid? Consider a General Surgery Fellow, who has completed 5 years of SET, and then undertakes a 3 year fellowship in Colorectal Surgery to attain his Colorectal Society Australia / NZ Accreditation. What about a Cardiology Interventional Fellow who has completed 3 years Advanced Training in Cardiology, then a 1 year Cardiac MRI Fellowship and then commences his / her Interventional Training? These people do exist. And not because they fail exams, but because training often extends beyond gaining of FRACS, FRACP, etc.

Quarks, I responded to your original post in a blunt way, personally because I think you were over-selling the stressors of our daily work commitments. Yes, we study a lot when we go home at night. Yes, we work long hours. And yes, occasionally (very occasionally), we deal with critically unwell patients without adequate support. But at the end of the day, it's not so bad most of the time.

quar, good on ya on the facts. Fellows' pay came to mind after my edit.

Blunt or not, it is fine. You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.
    I dont want to justify any further on what I think. There is a place & time for it. Recent tragic events has been too much, not just for me, my team & the parents of those affected. I wont elaborate on anything for obvious reasons, and I do not care to relive the moments on here or anywhere else. No, I agree with you that most of the time, it is not so bad. But sadly, this belongs to the exception, happening one after another, & we just wonder, when is it going to stop? Should you have experienced what I have, you wouldnt be saying the same. But you havent, so I dont blame you. Nobody should ever face what my team has gone through but it is our job. Clearly it may have come across as 'overselling', as these events still lingers. We are all getting on, in our own ways. Has this phrase ever come across your mind? ,'I dont get paid enough for this shit.' I'm sure it has or it will from time to time.

Please no more of medical topics, I came here to get away from it.
    Back to gentlemen's topic at hand, & what we were here for.

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

Please no more of medical topics, I came here to get away from it.
    Back to gentlemen's topic at hand, & what we were here for.

Sorry to hear of the hard times.

I won't do anymore -

quar - yes I have latest figures somewhere but was being conservative and working from memory a bit before.

Re being off topic - not that much - clothes and dressing occur in a context - in a culture - that includes ability to afford and that includes retail prices and costs and income levels. Some discussion of the wider context helps understand how to dress - well at least the opposite is true - a lack of understanding - generally precludes understanding how to dress.

shit - I'm barely making sense to myself - get to bed.

12. pasey25

pasey25 Well-Known Member

Considering heading down to Azzaro today

Given the recent posts about a tragic event down there (the details of which weren't revealed) -does anyone know if they are or are not open?

I need at least one extra beater suit and for $100 for the Pisano I owe it to myself to take a look.

13. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

Give them a ring before you drop by, as I was suggested to do so by them.
    (Tel:- 9696 2611)

14. pasey25

pasey25 Well-Known Member

I will if I have to but their website says they open at 11am and I'd like to arrive around that time. it's a 40 min drive in so it would be good to know if anyone else knew

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Does anyone know these guys?

As usual USA shirts from 79, Australia 99... joke

Never used them before, know nothing about them, but they keep emailing me everytime they're in Australia.

16. ColonialBoy

ColonialBoy Well-Known Member

$79.97 shipped - hope they work out!
    I'm an education student & need some cheap nice stuff - thats for the info!

Tried posting in some other threads and found people here very snooty. Where I will be working sporting a $10 tie is considered way overdressed.

17. elvish

elvish Senior member

Tried posting in some other threads and found people here very snooty. Where I will be working sporting a $10 tie is considered way overdressed.

I've always wondered what the response would be if you photshopped a brioni/kiton tag onto a target jacket. I think the majority are brand whores, just not for the "fashion" brands.

18. aKula

aKula Senior member

To keep the discussion on local tailors going, I just ordered an overcoat. Navy, double breasted, length just past the knee. I went with Loro Piana wool. The tailor even showed me a cashmere/mink(!) cloth sample for that ultimate luxury.

19. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Quote from todays Fin Review ' a tie is like a fashion exclamation mark on a man's outfit.' Well being one how enjoys loud colourful ties I can certainly agree with the sentiment. The site for the band is http://legrew.com/ And interesting article on Prada and the creative design process, amongst other things.

20. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Men's Short Sleeve Heritage Mesh Polo - in navy

$79.97 shipped - hope they work out!

Have you bought their Polos before? And if so how do you find the fit?

I have been buying Southern Tide polos the past couple of years but these look nice and simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.