• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

aKula

Reaction score
The same two articles contradicting each other are printed every couple of weeks. It's similar to the journalists portrayed in "Lost Illusions", just stale rather than deeply cynical.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
It's the same here. It's school holidays, and they're roaming the streets everywhere. The hotpants and singlet look is the latest fashion for teenage girls
confused.gif
plain.gif

eye candy
smile.gif
foo.gif

tone76

Reaction score
I was saying the same thing to my wife as a gaggle of them passed us walking down the street. A cold southerly was blowing, we were rugged up accordingly, and those girls looked like they were heading to the beach
eh.gif

That probably explains why so many girls paint themselves orange these days - to try and cover up the blue tinge one gets when underdressed on a cold day.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
eye candy
smile.gif
foo.gif

Not for me. I'm too old and I have a beautiful wife as well.

Originally Posted by tone76
That probably explains why so many girls paint themselves orange these days - to try and cover up the blue tinge one gets when underdressed on a cold day.

heh you're probably right.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I just got back from the conservative business dress.

There are these multiple gangs of teenage girls around 14 - 16, in groups of 5 or 6, hanging around in an almost identical uniform of cut off denim short shorts showing bum cheeks, white singlets or crop tops, short white socks and sneakers.

Are they organised crime gangs of private school girls taking over from Hells Angels - due to the new laws - or are they following some fashion fad?

Didn't realize you had spent so long in Japan....

Originally Posted by fxh
Sunday night its Toots & Maytals an big reggae show, Monday = Raul Malo

Saw them about 20 years ago in Sydney at the old Manly Vale Hotel where I saw the Straycats as well....fantastic seminal reggae. When I mentioned that I had seen them to my 22 year old son I got a look of "wow" which shows how things go round...

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
Didn't realize you had spent so long in Japan.... Saw them about 20 years ago in Sydney at the old Manly Vale Hotel where I saw the Straycats as well....fantastic seminal reggae. When I mentioned that I had seen them to my 22 year old son I got a look of "wow" which shows how things go round...
My Rock n Funk tattooed offspring went on short notice to see BOB last night - he enjoyed it

math_grad

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I was hoping to get some suggestions on two matters.Â

Firstly, a decent cobbler in Sydney. I've had taps put on at  Coombs (for free when I bought some polish) and was wondering if they could do a resole plus topy on a bass weejun. I believe they're Blake stitched and I would prefer the soles to be stitched then some half-sole glue job.Â

Secondly, what are people's recommendations for an alterations tailor in Sydney. I've previously used Looksmart in the Dymock's building and was happy with the results but they seem to get a bad wrap on this forum. They seem a little pricey for me too. I'm mostly after a place to get some trouser legs tapered and was half thinking of pinning them myself and taking them to the same place I get my hems done (local dry cleaner). I might test them on a cheap pair before I decide to give them anything I don't want ruined.Â

Sorry if these topics have been covered in this thread but as far as I'm aware there's no way of searching through a thread.Â

Thanks,
MG

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by math_grad
I'm new to this forum and I was hoping to get some suggestions on two matters.Â

Firstly, a decent cobbler in Sydney. I've had taps put on at  Coombs (for free when I bought some polish) and was wondering if they could do a resole plus topy on a bass weejun. I believe they're Blake stitched and I would prefer the soles to be stitched then some half-sole glue job.Â

Secondly, what are people's recommendations for an alterations tailor in Sydney. I've previously used Looksmart in the Dymock's building and was happy with the results but they seem to get a bad wrap on this forum. They seem a little pricey for me too. I'm mostly after a place to get some trouser legs tapered and was half thinking of pinning them myself and taking them to the same place I get my hems done (local dry cleaner). I might test them on a cheap pair before I decide to give them anything I don't want ruined.Â

Sorry if these topics have been covered in this thread but as far as I'm aware there's no way of searching through a thread.Â

Thanks,
MG

Sullivans at Wynyard Ramp rear of station. Fred Ayoub is a great cobbler and can organize a blake restitch for you. He is resoling (Blake) a pair of shell cordovan (yes!) boat shoes for me.

Hayel and Son are good for alterations. They were in the Dymocks building but have moved.

For alterations, I've heard this place is very good:

http://www.mrtailor.com.au/

AUD10 to shorten pants is very cheap.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a good time at Elvis Costello on Thursday night.

The baby sitter was an 18 year old niece of a friend. She's out here from Scotland on holiday. Didn't know who EC was. Felt very old.

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Ernesto
Had a good time at Elvis Costello on Thursday night.

The baby sitter was an 18 year old niece of a friend. She's out here from Scotland on holiday. Didn't know who EC was. Felt very old.

My wife commented that she's never seen so much grey hair (or lack of hair) at a pop concert. I saw a few father and son duos...and some parents who brought they 8-10 yo daughter along.

I wouldn't worry too much about what 18 yo's think...most of them have never seen the original Star Wars trilogy.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
My wife commented that she's never seen so much grey hair (or lack of hair) at a pop concert. I saw a few father and son duos...and some parents who brought they 8-10 yo daughter along.

I wouldn't worry too much about what 18 yo's think...most of them have never seen the original Star Wars trilogy.

Good point!

I am going to make her a present of 'My aim is true'. Everyone deserves to hear that at least once in their life.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Melbournians looking to buy new shoe trees online? If you are I'd like to be included so we can split the shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads