• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick note to e-bay sellers

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no problem putting in a low ball offer. Most sellers I buy from will auto reject my first offer. Then I begin to up my offer until it either passes the auto-reject or I reach the top of what I am willing to pay. As for the $240-290 example. The seller was beginning to bargain with the buyer. No need to get upset, business is business.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArthurVandalay
It's not too bright, because don't you just think maybe someone might be willing to pay you MORE than the absolute minimum you'll accept?
If you don't want to go any lower than $100, list it for $130. Then if someone offers you $110, you've made more than you would have had you initially asked your floor, and the other person feels like they're getting bargain. I don't even bother with the clowns that put "Price firm" in their listings. I'd rather pay the same price to someone else who understands how the system works.

Is it really that difficult to understand? It's not a retail store, it's frigging Craigslist.

What? You'd rather spend 20 minutes negotiating something down from $50 to $40, rather than buy it for $40 outright? Congratulations.

veneto

Reaction score
Yes. Anyone who asks for the lowest price they'll accept is a doofus. Does this really have to be explained further?

You keep assuming that that all Craigslist advertisements are necessarily offers open to price negotiation.

ArthurVandalay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
What? You'd rather spend 20 minutes negotiating something down from $50 to $40, rather than buy it for $40 outright? Congratulations.

Yea, it takes me twenty minutes to fire off a two-sentence email to someone with a lower offer, you're correct.
And yes, I'd rather deal with someone who doesn't get his panties in a bunch when you offer 15-20% less than the asking price, than some clown who thinks he's running a retail store.

You'd rather sell something for the absolute lowest price you'll accept than try to get more value out of it? Congratulations.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, it takes me twenty minutes to fire off a two-sentence email to someone with a lower offer, you're correct.
And yes, I'd rather deal with someone who doesn't get his panties in a bunch when you offer 15-20% less than the asking price, than some clown who thinks he's running a retail store.

You'd rather sell something for the absolute lowest price you'll accept than try to get more value out of it? Congratulations.

yes, because sometimes I'd rather not deal with idiots negotiating for $2 off a $10 pair of rollerblades from 1997. When I say "firm" it's code for "hey idiots trying to negotiate for $2 off $10 pair of rollerblades from 1997, instead of wasting time on that, just make one decision: do you want these for $10 or not. No I do not wish to waste 20 minutes so you can save $2 and FEEL THE RUSH OF CRAIGSLIST"

shademore

Reaction score
Yea, it takes me twenty minutes to fire off a two-sentence email to someone with a lower offer, you're correct. And yes, I'd rather deal with someone who doesn't get his panties in a bunch when you offer 15-20% less than the asking price, than some clown who thinks he's running a retail store.
The reality is that many of us clowns on ebay are running retail shops, both electronic and B&M, and I can assure you the internet sales have been out preforming the walk-ins for quite some time. Its a mistake to think that it is all still about trying to pass off your used crap as "like new" on ebay anymore. Not many folks have the balls to walk in to their local retailer and ask for a 20% price break on that new pair of sneakers they've been eyeballing. Try it out. I do it all the time and if you think internet sellers get pissy...

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I'l see someone with a BIN like 5 times what they should be asking (the type of person who lists a 25 year old BB suit for $600) I'd be tempted to make a offer of like 10% of what they're asking, but never have.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with sticking to your guns when the price is "firm". Just remember that to some people all thingas are negotiable, just reply that the price is firm, take it or leave it.

ArthurVandalay

Reaction score
The point is that anyone who is selling something of value on Craigslist (I'm not talking about a $10 pair of used rollerblades) and says "Hmmm, $200 is the absolute lowest I will accept for this item, so I'm going to ask for that" isn't thinking things through and is leaving potential money on the table.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads