• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Lug-to-lug, your watch is still smaller than your wrist. His is much bigger. Relative size would still matter, the angle of the photograph notwithstanding -- a big watch on a tiny wrist would look awkward, no matter what. And I believe that is the point TheWraith is trying to make.
Yup, his watch is undeniably bigger than mine, but bear in mind this effect will be even more exaggerated with a bigger watch. My watch is less than 10mm thick, and look at the difference in size due to lens distortion! Imagine the effect on a watch twice as thick! All I am trying to tell you is that self-taken pics of wristwatches are distorted this way unless the wearer knowingly compensates for this effect by taking a pic from farther away and cropping. He was trying to tell you guys that it doesn't look as big in person, although he did fully admit that it was still too big for his wrist! I tried to explain exactly why he's objectively correct about the photograph being deceptive. And I misunderstood TheWraith because I was using the word "distortion" in reference to actual, physical lens distortion, and he was not. We are all, and that includes 7_rocket, in agreement that the watch is too big. That wasn't really the point.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vostok.JPG
Just got this Vostok on eBay; we'll see how the real thing is.

Flartchy

Reaction score
I hate to press the subject, but there is absolutely distortion in both photographs.
I getcha man, I agree, closeups with wide-angle lenses make for distortion. It's optically impossible for it NOT to distort.

Anyway.. my pick for poor man's watch would be Breguet. They're ok for everyday mowing the lawn or working in the garage use, but often I want something a little nicer for trips to Olive Garden and such.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my low budget collection. Since they are automatic, the time/date/day isn't correct on a few of them due to not wearing regularly. I wear the two militaries but the diver gets out less. First up, all Seikos. The blue face and dive watch I bought new. The custom face watch (middle, copy of a Sinn 656) I bought used. Previous owned had the work done. The two militaries have see through backs. All three are automatic. I have numerous nato style bands which I switch out regularly.
SJA6V.jpg
My day time "nice" watch. Goldtone Mondaine railroad watch. This also has a see through back. I added the real croc band.
OgARU.jpg
Geek watches. I love digitals for some reason. I think I paid $25 or something for the gold one. The other watch turned out to be the Uber Geek Watch. It's called the Seiko Frequency. It has a built in "beat machine" and BPM meter as well. I've had it since the late 90s. Still have the case and instructions. Kind of shocked at what they go for on eBay now.
UB6cX.jpg
The diver probably cost the most. Funny thing is I get the most positive comment when wearing the gold Casio.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Seiko SNX429K. I got it from Chronograph.com. Super fast shipping. $93 shipped! It came with a black nato strap but I now have 5 or so others. The thing that sold me was the navy face with red 24hr numbers.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Salad

Geek watches. I love digitals for some reason. I think I paid $25 or something for the gold one. The other watch turned out to be the Uber Geek Watch. It's called the Seiko Frequency. It has a built in "beat machine" and BPM meter as well. I've had it since the late 90s. Still have the case and instructions. Kind of shocked at what they go for on eBay now.

UB6cX.jpg

That Seiko looks like a cassette player or VCR or something. Awesome.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_6715.jpg

IMG_6699.jpg

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
^^^Tell me more about this watch please!
http://www.seagull1963.com/ You can also search for Seagull 1963 on eBay and elsewhere. The HK Seagull website also carries it from time to time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads