Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Denton

Denton Senior member

Neither do I care. I own a quartz Omega Seamaster myself. It's my favourite watch, in fact. But, even tongue in cheek, it's not a poor man's watch.

[​IMG] It's all relative. The fact that a quartz Seamaster will be nearly zero-maintenance is icing on the cake, as "poor men" don't tend to have the money to send it to Omega for an overhaul every few years.

If $800 or so is too much then I'd find a good Hamilton or Seiko. Those are nice poor man's watches.

2. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I hate to press the subject, but there is absolutely distortion in both photographs. That's simply the nature of the camera. At wide angles objects closer to the camera appear larger than they actually are. The severity of this distortion is directly proportional to the focal length. This is clear from the photos in the link I sent you.

To illustrate my point, I took a photo from much farther away and then cropped it to match the proportions of the original photo. Cropping a photograph effectively reduces the focal length, although at a severe loss of quality.

First, the original shot that the crop was taken from:

http://i.imgur.com/Ogl6K.jpg

Now, the side--by-side:

http://i.imgur.com/tbdNN.jpg

Same watch, same wrist, same camera. The black and white lines were copied and pasted. They are pixel-perfect identical. As you can see, my wrist is actually still slightly smaller in the second photo. The black line doesn't quite reach the edge of my wrist as it does in the first photo. Yet the white line goes WELL beyond the inner edge of the chrome sections above and below the dial.

These lines are present to quantify what I'm saying, but even without them, I think it's pretty clear the watch simply looks bigger in the first photo.

Lug-to-lug, your watch is still smaller than your wrist. His is much bigger.

Relative size would still matter, the angle of the photograph notwithstanding -- a big watch on a tiny wrist would look awkward, no matter what. And I believe that is the point TheWraith is trying to make.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Thanks Metlin. Quite right.

4. GrandpaStyle

GrandpaStyle New Member

5. Edgar Allan Pwn

Edgar Allan Pwn Senior member

Lug-to-lug, your watch is still smaller than your wrist. His is much bigger. Relative size would still matter, the angle of the photograph notwithstanding -- a big watch on a tiny wrist would look awkward, no matter what. And I believe that is the point TheWraith is trying to make.
    Yup, his watch is undeniably bigger than mine, but bear in mind this effect will be even more exaggerated with a bigger watch. My watch is less than 10mm thick, and look at the difference in size due to lens distortion! Imagine the effect on a watch twice as thick! All I am trying to tell you is that self-taken pics of wristwatches are distorted this way unless the wearer knowingly compensates for this effect by taking a pic from farther away and cropping. He was trying to tell you guys that it doesn't look as big in person, although he did fully admit that it was still too big for his wrist! I tried to explain exactly why he's objectively correct about the photograph being deceptive. And I misunderstood TheWraith because I was using the word "distortion" in reference to actual, physical lens distortion, and he was not. We are all, and that includes 7_rocket, in agreement that the watch is too big. That wasn't really the point.

6. linsook

linsook Senior member

7. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

[​IMG] Just got this Vostok on eBay; we'll see how the real thing is.

8. Flartchy

Flartchy Senior member

I getcha man, I agree, closeups with wide-angle lenses make for distortion. It's optically impossible for it NOT to distort.

Anyway.. my pick for poor man's watch would be Breguet. They're ok for everyday mowing the lawn or working in the garage use, but often I want something a little nicer for trips to Olive Garden and such.

9. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

often I want something a little nicer for trips to Olive Garden and such.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Salad

Salad Senior member

Here's my low budget collection. Since they are automatic, the time/date/day isn't correct on a few of them due to not wearing regularly. I wear the two militaries but the diver gets out less. First up, all Seikos. The blue face and dive watch I bought new. The custom face watch (middle, copy of a Sinn 656) I bought used. Previous owned had the work done. The two militaries have see through backs. All three are automatic. I have numerous nato style bands which I switch out regularly. [​IMG] My day time "nice" watch. Goldtone Mondaine railroad watch. This also has a see through back. I added the real croc band. [​IMG] Geek watches. I love digitals for some reason. I think I paid $25 or something for the gold one. The other watch turned out to be the Uber Geek Watch. It's called the Seiko Frequency. It has a built in "beat machine" and BPM meter as well. I've had it since the late 90s. Still have the case and instructions. Kind of shocked at what they go for on eBay now. [​IMG] The diver probably cost the most. Funny thing is I get the most positive comment when wearing the gold Casio.

11. Flartchy

Flartchy Senior member

[​IMG]

Which is the one on the far left? Loveit

12. Salad

Salad Senior member

^Seiko SNX429K. I got it from Chronograph.com. Super fast shipping. $93 shipped! It came with a black nato strap but I now have 5 or so others. The thing that sold me was the navy face with red 24hr numbers.

13. SJX

SJX Senior member

A few of mine:

[​IMG]

14. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Geek watches. I love digitals for some reason. I think I paid $25 or something for the gold one. The other watch turned out to be the Uber Geek Watch. It's called the Seiko Frequency. It has a built in "beat machine" and BPM meter as well. I've had it since the late 90s. Still have the case and instructions. Kind of shocked at what they go for on eBay now.

[​IMG]

That Seiko looks like a cassette player or VCR or something. Awesome.

15. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]