• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting..you have to really look to see the herringbone.

crider8883

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Requiem
I never wear silk squares and this shoes to court, but when spending the entire day in office I think it's fine.

029-1.jpg
031.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't wear that suit to court. But, you hopefully know your jury pool better than I do. Looks good though.

ctp120

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Last chance to wear linen as the leaves are changing
110415062a.jpg

110415065.jpg

Very nice, PG. Like the new linen. Would like the whole look better with lighter pants.

Requiem

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crider8883
Personally, I wouldn't wear that suit to court. But, you hopefully know your jury pool better than I do. Looks good though.

Just out of curiosity, I'm a lawyer in Portugal where jury trials are not common (bellow 3% of all criminal trials, according to the last numbers I remember). Besides, we wear legal garments ("toga" for lawyers, "beca" for judges).

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IronRock
In essence however I believe true conservative business dress should be transferable. One should be able to go to a meeting in Beijing, lunch in London and dinner in NYC wearing the same clothes; no-one should bat an eye-lid in these meetings, in transit, in the taxis or walking down the pavement (side-walk)

This.

or,
teacha.gif

kcc

Reaction score
110415062a.jpg

110415065.jpg

A P Johnson coat undoubtedly. MTM?

Love the balance of the coat, its pocket shape and choice of tie fabric & color, but the trouser seems to disrupt the summery tone of the other articles; perhaps a linen, cotton or porous worsted trouser fabric may have been more suitable

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
20110414_main.jpg

MoK - you mentioned before you have uneven shoulder issues, in the pic above I we can see that your right shoulder is lower than the left but I also think your left shoulder is forward of the right? Combined with the weight loss, this gives the suit perhaps a bit too much drape? there seem to be divots and 'waves' of cloth where there should be none - at this point I defer to those with considerably more knowledge than me, but in my opinion it does not look quite right.

Despite the minor point above I like this a lot more than the brown offering yesterday and would be very happy to be seen in the same outfit. Handkerchief/pocket placement still seems a bit low or maybe it's just a bit bold for the outfit?

PS - Colchester?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcc
A P Johnson coat undoubtedly. MTM?

Love the balance of the coat, its pocket shape and choice of tie fabric & color, but the trouser seems to disrupt the summery tone of the other articles; perhaps a linen, cotton or porous worsted trouser fabric may have been more suitable

I actually like everything about the coat, including the beautiful patch pockets, except the button stance which seems about an 1.5" to high.

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I actually like everything about the coat, including the beautiful patch pockets, except the button stance which seems about an 1.5" to high.

This, plus the lapels could be a touch wider, but I am not complaining. PG keeps slaying.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
110415062a.jpg

Bright orange as conservative business dress? Not sure about that.

Remind me of:

b7bf9333ac9ffe90bc97de7990783bc6-getty-98697098cc072_green_bay_pac.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
110415062a.jpg

110415065.jpg
Too bold and too casual for me to see this as conservative business dress, but I like it a lot.
Originally Posted by Requiem
Just out of curiosity, I'm a lawyer in Portugal where jury trials are not common (bellow 3% of all criminal trials, according to the last numbers I remember). Besides, we wear legal garments ("toga" for lawyers, "beca" for judges).
Interesting I wonder whether the need to don robes is why our Barristers tend to dress much more boldly than our solicitors who don't wear robes?
Originally Posted by IronRock
MoK - you mentioned before you have uneven shoulder issues, in the pic above I we can see that your right shoulder is lower than the left but I also think your left shoulder is forward of the right? Combined with the weight loss, this gives the suit perhaps a bit too much drape? there seem to be divots and 'waves' of cloth where there should be none - at this point I defer to those with considerably more knowledge than me, but in my opinion it does not look quite right.

Despite the minor point above I like this a lot more than the brown offering yesterday and would be very happy to be seen in the same outfit. Handkerchief/pocket placement still seems a bit low or maybe it's just a bit bold for the outfit?

PS - Colchester?

Thanks yes my right shoulder is naturally sloping, the left is raised and tilted forward by the lump of titanium that holds it together - still the surgeon did a good job - he only expected me to be able to raise my arm to the horizontal, but I can raise it a further 45 degrees even if I can't manage to get it vertical... It doesn't show in all poses/photos and isn't that noticeable in real life, but if and when I go bespoke I'll need to find a tailor talented enough to hide it.

I think the PS is too bold and has rode up too much. I know one UK clothing writer uses a tie pin through the breast pocket to prevent this problem, but I think it has a tendancy to look too affected...

Faversham, Kent

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads