• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^you think synth disagrees with that? seems impossible to me. then again I've been awake for more than twenty four hours and just finished a paper on a psychoanalytic deconstruction of Modernist primitivism.
uhoh.gif

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
^you think synth disagrees with that? seems impossible to me. then again I've been awake for more than twenty four hours and just finished a paper on a psychoanalytic deconstruction of Modernist primitivism.
uhoh.gif

Hah, I've been up all night too. My topic is more straightforward but complex in its own way in that the teacher is kind of a dumbass so I really have to lead him through arguments without having too much fun.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
I really don't understand most of this style as competition thing. At least with respect to what's been discussed here.

Also, I'm dirnking a martini (vodkatini) w/ smoked pickled okra and spicy bean (pickle juice/ smokra juice instead of olive brine). Is there a name for this?

dirty southtini? Sounds like a decent dirnk.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol that sucks. Well anwyay I didn't come up with the paper, it's a comparison/analysis of two essays and a review of the Gauguin retrospective that's in the Nat Gallery atm. Great fun.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
******* just started raining. also pete, not sure if you heard but the Maryland General Assembly decided to continue funding the Sellinger Program that gives independent schools tons of money. So they're going to renovate Miller and and the bottom of Cain starting this summer. Woo.

trafficjam

Reaction score
Gosh, a Dave Eggers quote where he's bitter about people not liking his ******, self-indulgent writing?
yes yes, i know

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis
+1 on this. They're hard to destroy (for the most part) and you can get a lot of mileage out of them. Ex- a nice leather jacket.

IMO knits are kind of iffy on joining the above. You can generally go cheap on some knits (basic Vs and crews) and then occasionally grab some more interesting knits.

Though on the other hand this. It's easy to go plebe on everything else if you can find good options for them. It works great for mellow b/c he can get away with uniqlo for pants and buttondowns... but that isn't true for alot of people. I'm yet to find a cheap option for either... the closest being H&M for cheap dress shirts.

What about sportcoats? Scarves? Sneakers? I don't think we can be too prescriptive on what can/cannot be cheap. I personally go for nothing really cheap except underwear+white tees (Uniqlo) but there are a few prized exceptions in my wardrobe (say a pair of april77 cords that i wear all the time).

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
What about sportcoats? Scarves? Sneakers? I don't think we can be too prescriptive on what can/cannot be cheap. I personally go for nothing really cheap except underwear+white tees (Uniqlo) but there are a few prized exceptions in my wardrobe (say a pair of april77 cords that i wear all the time).

Oh I agree with you. I generally try to avoid going cheap on anything other than underwear/undershirts... I was speaking to the situation where someone is limited money-wise to the extent that they can only go "nice" on a couple of areas... those are the two I would go after first. Meaning if you can't spend on your whole wardrobe now, I'd start with the outerwear and shoes, and then work on other areas later.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trafficjam
Gosh, a Dave Eggers quote where he's bitter about people not liking his ******, self-indulgent writing?
yes yes, i know

You didn't read the quote at all.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when I can cop a ripple sole to have a cobbler put on some brogues? Or ideally someone in NY that will do it for me?

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nvm, found it >: )

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
suede longwing or suede plain toe with ripple sole?

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
finished my last midterm exam of the semester this morning. milkman show tomorrow night and going out to some place downtown thursday night. swag.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
finished my last midterm exam of the semester this morning. milkman show tomorrow night and going out to some place downtown thursday night. swag.

I hear you. I'm stuntin on summer break while hoes are still in class. swaaaaag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads