Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Do you like the stuff you wear now? There's nothing wrong with multiple aesthetics. AR does it well and so does Kelv if he still has all that shit he used to. I feel like a honed wardrobe is pretty overrated, and personally like to have different things I can wear. Not everything has to go with everything else.

2. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

^ I like it some days, which I'm using to inform the direction I want to go in. But I'm not really using at least half of my wardrobe. I would rather sell it off and use the money elsewhere.

3. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Well then it sounds like you already have a minimal wardrobe if you sell the stuff you don't use

4. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

I like having nice things that go with very little. Makes wearing them out of the ordinary and special. No homo.

5. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

I missed this discussion, what do you mean? I just scrolled around looking for it briefly so maybe it was discussed elsewhere.
    I think it was this shit about wearing tailored uniqlo making you better than everyone else. No offense to GN in particular, I just don't really get that. I mean, I wear a bunch of hoighty- toighty fru-fru fashionista shit, but one of my good friends and coworkers probably hasn't bought clothes outside of marshall's sale rack in 6 years and I can't do a tenth of the fucking shit he does with excel (miserable program). Maybe I don't really have a point here, it's more like; in most ways clothes are just a hobby like anything else - cars, books, writing, whatever. It just seems to me that tailoring your uniqlo chinos is akin to putting neons on your civic. I dunno. Maybe I'm just being even more of a culprit than he was, but I honestly don't really see the point. There's always someone better, right? Eco-location and all that shit. Like, I think I look better than pretty much everyone I see on the street, but that's because I like the way I look. I don't want to start an objectivity/subjectivity debate, but 99% of people either have no taste or don't give a shit about how they look. That's their prerogative - but thinking you're hot shit because you went to a tailor seems slightly odd. Again, not trying to hate on Graphic Novelty - this has come up before ("I'm stylin' on err'one here"), and I'm sure I've been guilty of it too; but saying something like "I just want to be slightly above the curve" seems to smack not only of a lack of self-awareness, but of a pointless endeavor. Of course, viewpoints may differ here. I also didn't appreciate the bit about "getting" the way things "should and shouldn't" go together, but I'd say that's been addressed.

6. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

somebody's drunk, not gonna say who, just somebody

7. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

Can I use that in my signature block? Funniest thing I read all day.

Got my vans on.

8. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

somebody's drunk, not gonna say who, just somebody
    [​IMG] My bottle says, "Junmai would drink a bottle of sake and write a hundred poems."

9. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

Just kopped $2,518 worth of civic duty. [​IMG] Hope nothing I want goes on sale for a while...

10. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

99% of people either have no taste or don't give a shit about how they look. That's their prerogative - but thinking you're hot shit because you went to a tailor seems slightly odd. Again, not trying to hate on Graphic Novelty - this has come up before ("I'm stylin' on err'one here"), and I'm sure I've been guilty of it too; but saying something like "I just want to be slightly above the curve" seems to smack not only of a lack of self-awareness, but of a pointless endeavor.
    Oh. Yeah that's just dumb, I wasn't aware this was even an ongoing debate. How having a particular area of interest somehow makes one better than others is beyond me. Really it's pretty much just fetishistic isn't it, I mean if you were looking at a hobby that arguably would make you a "better" person, whatever that means, you'd think it'd be more intellectual. Then again that's just me projecting the pedestal I put intelligence on vs. other qualities I suppose. Either way I think everyone probably agrees that "I can outdress you" is a pretty stupid basis for asserting superiority over the plebian masses. (waits for sq4you)

11. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

[​IMG] My bottle says, "Junmai would drink a bottle of sake and write a hundred poems."
    five star post but if you get to be the red power ranger can I be white?

12. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

Oh. Yeah that's just dumb, I wasn't aware this was even an ongoing debate. How having a particular area of interest somehow makes one better than others is beyond me. Really it's pretty much just fetishistic isn't it, I mean if you were looking at a hobby that arguably would make you a "better" person, whatever that means, you'd think it'd be more intellectual. Then again that's just me projecting the pedestal I put intelligence on vs. other qualities I suppose.
    Look at online discussions of classical music, "modern music" in the sense of academic or avant-garde composition, or most jazz, or fuck even like college radio. Fuckin intolerable. Surprisingly I haven't run into this as much talking about literature, I don't know why. Someone on sz linked this and I think it should be required reading for any person living in our circumstances. Dave Eggers said this:
    The critical impulse, demonstrated by the tone of many of your own questions, is to suspect, doubt, tear at, and to take something apart to see how it works. Which of course is completely the wrong thing to do to art. I used to tear books apart, and tear art exhibits apart - I was an art and book critic for a few years in San Francisco - but my urge to do that was born of bitterness and confusion and anger, not out of any real need to help or edify. When we pick at and tear into artistic output of whatever kind, we really have to examine our motives for doing so. What is it about art that can make us so angry? Is it healthy to rip to shreds something created by an artist? I would posit, if I may, that that's not really a healthy impulse. Now, as far as I know, out of maybe 100 or so reviews that I've been made aware of, my own book has received only one negative example. That's pretty lucky, especially when you consider that Wallace, for example, has gotten pretty abused by some people, people who for the most part don't have the patience his work requires. But criticism, for the most part, comes from the opposite place that book-enjoying should come from. To enjoy art one needs time, patience, and a generous heart, and criticism is done, by and large, by impatient people who have axes to grind. The worst sort of critics are (analogy coming) butterfly collectors - they chase something, ostensibly out of their search for beauty, then, once they get close, they catch that beautiful something, they kill it, they stick a pin through its abdomen, dissect it and label it. The whole process, I find, is not a happy or healthy one. Someone with his or her own shit figured out, without any emotional problems or bitterness or envy, instead of killing that which he loves, will simply let the goddamn butterfly fly, and instead of capturing and killing it and sticking it in a box, will simply point to it - "Hey everyone, look at that beautiful thing" - hoping everyone else will see the beautiful thing he has seen.

13. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

Great quote.

I'm considering hopping on the set-everything-on-fire bandwagon. Not sure how serious I am. Been thinking it over for a while though. What's stopping me is 1) I am afraid I will miss a few of my prize pieces after I let them go and b) I really like being lazy, having tons of flexibility with my wardrobe, being able to not do laundry for like three weeks + on end. Nonetheless, it is getting excessive, my tastes have developed a lot, I have a lot of clutter and most importantly, of course, I still have the disease: I still want more. le sigh

Well the other thing that is sort of slowing me down is that while I know I can pull off whatever I want, I think amassing a functioning yet specialized wardrobe is a delicate process and I don't have the cashflow to really do that right now. Maybe I should wait until next fall.

There is definitely a romanticism to the Fuji style "all I own is a trench, boots, jeans, t's, and a couple sweaters". That sounds so good sometimes. I could never get it down that tight, I am too all over the place, but I could probably get it down to one or two outers, three or fours kicks, a few pants, a few sweaters and call it a day. Dunno. Then again I also graduate next spring, who knows what the fuck becomes of me then, I may have to sell everything. At any rate, I am beleaguered. Think I accidentally have gone a couple months with no cops, possibly first time since joining SF three years ago. Holy shit.

14. afc345

afc345 Senior member

English linguistics tree analysis, y u not be easy [​IMG]

15. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Synth, i think you misinterpreted my comment as being like "lol i'm stylin' over errybody, and am better than them" which is anathemetic to how i do everything basically.

Really all I meant was "using the barometer of the people around me, i still look pretty great." Of course, that's not a very high bar (though working in media in new york makes that bar significantly higher), but if someone is just looking to dress in a way that reflects positively on them in the eyes of those around them (especially true in work environments with restrictive dress codes) then it might be nice to be reminded that they don't need expensive shit to accomplish that goal.

This was especially relevant given the topic of conversation (kvc lamenting not having money for clothing). I was trying to say "you can be happy with cheaper/less" and everybody misinterpreted me/took what I was saying out of context as me bragging about how i style over everybody.

Although, we will totally disagree about subjectivity vs. objectivity. I don't believe a lot of this stuff goes beyond "i put together clothing and play with proportions/line/color/fabric/fit/context/whatever-cultural-association and this looks good or is cool or says something interesting because of that" and I think things can be dissected, appreciated, and put back together again without losing any of the essential value. Not that the "putting together clothing" thing devoids the hobby/interest it of merit, but it is wrong to assert that there isn't some framework with which one can understand stuff, or that such a framework is useless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.