• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band of Outsiders' sizes are shrinking!!

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
gitman is the worst cut of the shirts we're discussing fyi. also worst quality.

Really Teger? I know Gitman doesn't work out with a lot of people as far as fit goes, but I think the quality is great, especially for their oxford shirts. I also just received my red/fuschia madras GV shirt from Epaulet, and the quality seems good as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted by Lel
When BoO first hit it was one of the only shirts made that slim that was (semi) available to a wide market. Dunno' about direct comparisons with other brands mentioned but BoO definitely paved the way and with the rising prices and meh quality BoO is becoming rather obsolete.

This is pretty much what I meant in my 2nd post saying BoO is obsolete. Meh quality for a steeper price than its competitors. No point in paying a lot more when I can buy these other brands that fit well. I did like BoO back in the day when prices were ~$150 before sales.

Originally Posted by Meis
I think I'd agree with this. Also, is it just me or are the armholes on Gitman shirts cut low?

I think the first run of WvG ran much shorter than the current ones. I think he added an extra inch or two of length.

Also, for the guy asking about shorter shirts- Baron-Wells shirts fits similar to BoO in length.

You're right, Gitman armholes are noticeably lower than my Epaulet/WvG ones. The WvG BD has the highest armholes, then Epaulet (still high), then Gitman. Mauro listens to posters on his thread, and has increased sleeve length by .5" for new shirts as well if that was ever a problem.

Originally Posted by Local_Disk
I like short and roomy collars, which is the opposite of what gitman offers, but that doesn't mean gitman collars suck. I hope you guys know that this is all preference, it has nothing to do with quality. You can argue about it all day long, but it wont get anywhere.

Yeah, collar arguments are all preference, but there's some rules to know if you're wearing a dress shirt (begin MC talk). Straight point collars give round faces a good frame, by extending/narrowing the face. Spread collars look better on long/narrow faces by balancing out the line created by your face. Tab/Pinned collars shorten particularly long necks. Bigger guys also need bigger collars (depends on the collar, usually at least 3" to the point, probably more), while smaller guys look better with smaller collars.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
i've had 4 BoO shirts in the past 3-4 years and never had a problem with them really. my friend's gf tightened the buttons on 1-2 of them but a lot of my button ups have button issues because i'm nervously **** with them a lot. they have all fit my body great. i dunno. i wouldn't pay retail but that goes for most everything so i'm not sure that really means much. It impressed some chunky girl at a wedding when she asked what tie i was wearing and told her it was BoO and she learned that i had a few of their shirts. In the end isn't that all that matters?

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
excellent post, chronoaug. you put it all in perspective...

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
i've had 4 BoO shirts in the past 3-4 years and never had a problem with them really. my friend's gf tightened the buttons on 1-2 of them but a lot of my button ups have button issues because i'm nervously **** with them a lot. they have all fit my body great. i dunno. i wouldn't pay retail but that goes for most everything so i'm not sure that really means much. It impressed some chunky girl at a wedding when she asked what tie i was wearing and told her it was BoO and she learned that i had a few of their shirts. In the end isn't that all that matters?

Bitches love it when they know I wear BoO. "Oh! I've seen Donald Glover and Jason Schwartzman model for them!"

Instant ******* coupon

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
baron wells shirts are pretty good too IMO... they are even shorter than boo, sucks they made all black buttons for (F/W's shirts though)

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
baron wells shirts are pretty good too IMO... they are even shorter than boo, sucks they made all black buttons for (F/W's shirts though)

Yeah, wtf was with the black buttons on all the shirts. I also liked the ties I got from them this fall/winter (as well as one spring tie). The shirts for this spring/summer look better (also no black buttons on everything), I might pick up one of the contrast pocket ones.

Local_Disk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by *#..
Yeah, collar arguments are all preference, but there's some rules to know if you're wearing a dress shirt (begin MC talk). Straight point collars give round faces a good frame, by extending/narrowing the face. Spread collars look better on long/narrow faces by balancing out the line created by your face. Tab/Pinned collars shorten particularly long necks. Bigger guys also need bigger collars (depends on the collar, usually at least 3" to the point, probably more), while smaller guys look better with smaller collars.

As a small guy with a long/narrow face, that makes a lot of sense.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am branching out with some of my shirts. I will be offering a several new collars and you will notice certain things will change.
It's going to be fun.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looked up some measurements after reading how BoO runs short, seems for something my size (L-XL) the length from bottom of collar to hem would be about 29". Isn't this pretty close to average length for an untucked shirt? Most other brands measure 30" (ie Epaulet shirts) and even 31" (EG work shirts). So what visual cues do you use to determine the best untucked length (oxfords vs work shirts vs denim shirts etc.)?

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
Looked up some measurements after reading how BoO runs short, seems for something my size (L-XL) the length from bottom of collar to hem would be about 29". Isn't this pretty close to average length for an untucked shirt? Most other brands measure 30" (ie Epaulet shirts) and even 31" (EG work shirts). So what visual cues do you use to determine the best untucked length (oxfords vs work shirts vs denim shirts etc.)?

Yep, in my experience BOO's hems run about an inch or so shorter than other brands. Also, BOO's sides come up a LOT shorter (meaning the hem is really curved). But this makes all the difference in terms of appearance

For me, I wouldn't wear BOO to the office either way due to the full-length box pleat, super-slim fit, and loud patterns.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Still funny that the sizes are shrinking though. BoO gonna give grown men body image issues
laugh.gif

dahyno

Reaction score
I have three shirts from last season all sized small and each one has slightly different proportions. It would be nice for some consistency but it's not that big a deal for me.

Nazareth

Reaction score
Asked this before and didn't get an answer, but does anybody notice any shrinking of BoO due to washing?

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nazareth
Asked this before and didn't get an answer, but does anybody notice any shrinking of BoO due to washing?

You machine dry it?

rdgn123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nazareth

nope. but i always cold wash and line dry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads