• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band of Outsiders' sizes are shrinking!!

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
People have gotten buttons from them in the past. Why not buy your own button replacements though? Plenty of nice MoP ones sold on the forum and on eBay.

For everyone complaining about the type of buttons, I've replaced buttons on Gitman and W+H and even Steven Alan oxfords to much satisfaction. Ya'll need to step up the button replacement game. Easy fix.

Yeah I guess buttons aren't really expensive, good call.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackToothedGrin
The fit of BoO is drastically different than Gitman, Epaulet, and BB. Mainly due to the lack of a functioning box pleat as has been discussed.

True. However reading through this forum reveals many of the same people whom are interested in BoO are also discussing these other brands. Additionally many of the stores that carry BoO also carry Gitman, and most of these same stores did not even carry Gitman a few years ago! Thus the customer overlap is likely large, and this is really the key point I was trying to make (not so much a style comparison).

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The solution to this argument obviously is for dmash and Nazareth to post pictures of themselves, preferably shirtless (wild ****).

I'll say that personal preference dictates some room in the chest, since I loathe the feeling of fabric pulling if I do something crazy like extend my arms forward. My chest measures 40", so ideally, my shirts are going to have P2P of at least 21" and probably 22".

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
There appears to be a wider availability of shirts with fits similar to BoO than there was a few years ago-- e.g. Gittman, WvG, Epaulet, BB Extra Slim Fit, etc. Thus perhaps BoO have tried to go even slimmer in order to differentiate themselves from these lower priced alternatives.

Listening to everyone talk here it often sounds like a badge of honor to make it known that their BoO shirts employ an insanely small sizing model that not everyone can wear. Thus shrinking the sizing down smaller helps BoO maintain this unique (and possibly elite) image.

Additionally since women are increasingly wearing men's clothing, they can still sell the shirts. The existence of the "Boy" label reveals that this is part of BoO's marketing strategy-- it is likely they expect many "Boy" purchasers to also buy pieces from the men's line too.

Thus, shirking the shirts helps maintain their unique image for the men and also helps grow their women's sales.

this post sucks

bb extra slim fit doesn't really fit slim at all

go back to buying attachment.

(pretty sure boy by band is also a licensed line and doesn't really have much to do with men's)

also band fits like **** on girls. no boob room.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Yeah I guess buttons aren't really expensive, good call.

i replaced the buttons on my j crew polos with mop ones i got for free from band

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
The solution to this argument obviously is for dmash and Nazareth to post pictures of themselves, preferably shirtless (wild ****).

I'll say that personal preference dictates some room in the chest, since I loathe the feeling of fabric pulling if I do something crazy like extend my arms forward. My chest measures 40", so ideally, my shirts are going to have P2P of at least 21" and probably 22".

^Lmao I'll do it when I see the 375lb deadlifts from noodle arms. I need some laughs while I sit on my fat ass over here
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
also you can break the shirts discussed in this thread into three categories:

very slim:

boo, wvg

somewhat slim:

gitman, thom browne, epaulet

dress shirt:

brooks brothers extra slim fit.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For everybody with experience fitting across multiple brands, which brands are cut on the shorter side?

I have a couple WvG AD shirts in small and those are about as long as I'd like. Shorter would be a plus. I really like the WvG shirts but the shrunken collar looks off to me when worn under a sweater. Looks great naked. Even a list of which brands are cut long would be nice, so I can rule out tracking them down to fit.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
boo is the shortest. then wvg, then gitman, then epaulet.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
boo is the shortest. then wvg, then gitman, then epaulet.

Yup, I would agree with that.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
gitman is the worst cut of the shirts we're discussing fyi. also worst quality.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
boo's shortness is most noticable in the sides. wvg has longer sides.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When BoO first hit it was one of the only shirts made that slim that was (semi) available to a wide market. Dunno' about direct comparisons with other brands mentioned but BoO definitely paved the way and with the rising prices and meh quality BoO is becoming rather obsolete.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads