• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new holy grail watch

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Does it show the bare bone metal with the scratch?

I can't remember for sure. I can ask him but I'm pretty sure it does show through from a deep scratch. He said it didn't bother him too much but that's because his cousin lent it to him a while ago and never asked for it back so he essentially got it for free.

-LR

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah that is my biggest worry. I was actually considering getting a used Mark XVI and getting it blacked out but I was worried about scratches showing the bare metal so I just got something else that is already blacked out and more resistant to scratches. I still wouldn't mind that experiment though, never seen a blacked out Mark XVI before but I think it'll look great.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is my biggest worry. I was actually considering getting a used Mark XVI and getting it blacked out but I was worried about scratches showing the bare metal so I just got something else that is already blacked out and more resistant to scratches. I still wouldn't mind that experiment though, never seen a blacked out Mark XVI before but I think it'll look great.

Yeah the Mark XVI could look cool blacked out, but as you already realized you would probably be disappointed when the coating started to get scratched off. What did you end up getting instead?

-LR

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a Hublot Big Bang Classic, scratch resistant ceramic FTW!

Not as much my style, but very nice choice nonetheless. Enjoy the watch.

-LR

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljrcustom
Not as much my style, but very nice choice nonetheless. Enjoy the watch.

-LR

Thanks, been enjoying it. It isn't the traditional Big Bang which are very bulky, it is more low profile and sits nicely on the wrist. I also got their gummy croc strap for it, takes the watch to a whole new level.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68
a guy i work with has a project x, its not so great really, just looks like a novelty. much prefer my nice wabi'd tritium 5513, classic design. i do like the subs on those natos though, must try that for summer.
+1 probably my next watch purchase. might have to go on another clothing hiatus for this one...
IMG_9788.jpg

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How can you like the TopGun and hate how this one looks? It's practically the same watch minus a few small details. I actually prefer this because the dial is less crowded than the TopGun.

And if you knew all of those, then why ask the question why someone would do it?

I can't wear a 44mm watch, if I wanted a blacked out 3717 (or TopGun-esque watch, then that is the way to go. I could get a used 3717 for less than $3k and get it DLCed and have a practically new watch. Or what if I just don't want a huge TopGun logo engraved on the side of my watch? Or I don't like the 3 numeral date-wheel on the TopGun? There are plenty of reasons to do it if the TopGun isn't an option.

I don't like the Top Gun, it was an observation that it just looked like a top gun when blacked out and as I said I think it ruins it as I like the original better.

As you say the top gun logos are a deal breaker either you like them or you don't.

vespajg

Reaction score
Eh, it's not produced by Rolex so it voids every warranty Rolex offers. You can buy any Rolex and have any PVD company black it out and probably for a lot less mark-up, this one isn't that impressive to begin with. Easy pass.
I believe the standard Rolex warranty is only 2 years and only to the original registered owner. Most, if not all, of the reputable special mark up companies provide a replacement warranty that covers you just as the Rolex warranty did. The movement typically isn't harmed in any manner and the replacement warranty also covers the new finish. Much different than taking it to a PVD company that doesn't specialize in watches, or for that matter, Rolex. So I say - if you like it, have at it...

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vespajg
I believe the standard Rolex warranty is only 2 years and only to the original registered owner.

Most, if not all, of the reputable special mark up companies provide a replacement warranty that covers you just as the Rolex warranty did. The movement typically isn't harmed in any manner and the replacement warranty also covers the new finish. Much different than taking it to a PVD company that doesn't specialize in watches, or for that matter, Rolex. So I say - if you like it, have at it...

If the movement were ETA, I wouldn't mind any regular watch repairman working on it but on an in-house movement such as Rolexes (although it is so mass produced people doesn't consider it in-house, but it still has its intricateness) then I wouldn't let just anyone outside of an authorized Rolex service representative handle it. For all we know, these grey market e-store just sends the warranty work to some mall watch service booth.

alexanduh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
+1
probably my next watch purchase. might have to go on another clothing hiatus for this one...

IMG_9788.jpg

this is very nice.

its sad being the unemployed university undergraduate seeing all these people with rolexs.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not feeling it. The black tricked out Milgauss LV however is bad ass.

leeFX

Reaction score
Loving this. Wish I could afford it.
ffffuuuu.gif
ABC Watchwerks in CA comes recommended by a few satisfied customers. They blacked out this IWC 3717:
iwc-wrist03-mq.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads