1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

My new holy grail watch

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by alexanduh, Mar 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I don't get why you would do that, it just looks like a Top Gun now[​IMG]

2. siglo vi

siglo vi Well-Known Member

PVD or even DLC ends up looking terrible after some wear as the coating chips off really easily revealing the stainless steel under. Best to go with ceramic or the panerai composite (the Pam 386 is siiiiccck, not out yet though) for all black everything watch.

3. sq4you

sq4you Well-Known Member

All rips of my Phantom

[​IMG]

4. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

I don't get why you would do that, it just looks like a Top Gun now[​IMG]

It wasn't me that did that first of all. Second, the TopGun only comes in 44mm or bigger so if you want a smaller one this is a good alternative. Third, even with the extra cost of getting it DLC'd, it will still cost less than how much a TopGun would go for. Fourth, TopGun is now discontinued.

5. Find Finn

It wasn't me that did that first of all. Second, the TopGun only comes in 44mm or bigger so if you want a smaller one this is a good alternative. Third, even with the extra cost of getting it DLC'd, it will still cost less than how much a TopGun would go for. Fourth, TopGun is now discontinued.

1: I know, as I have mastered the art of reading, now I just need to learn how to get my point across in writing.[​IMG]
    2: Again I also knew this, but I still think it's a bad idea and it "ruins" a beautiful watch.
    3: See above
    4: I know

6. jessis

jessis Well-Known Member

Wow, I have never seen black rolex's before - they are awesome. Totally converted!

7. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Well-Known Member

a guy i work with has a project x, its not so great really, just looks like a novelty. much prefer my nice wabi'd tritium 5513, classic design.
    i do like the subs on those natos though, must try that for summer.

8. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

1: I know, as I have mastered the art of reading, now I just need to learn how to get my point across in writing.[​IMG]
    2: Again I also knew this, but I still think it's a bad idea and it "ruins" a beautiful watch.
    3: See above
    4: I know

How can you like the TopGun and hate how this one looks? It's practically the same watch minus a few small details. I actually prefer this because the dial is less crowded than the TopGun.

And if you knew all of those, then why ask the question why someone would do it?

I can't wear a 44mm watch, if I wanted a blacked out 3717 (or TopGun-esque watch, then that is the way to go. I could get a used 3717 for less than $3k and get it DLCed and have a practically new watch. Or what if I just don't want a huge TopGun logo engraved on the side of my watch? Or I don't like the 3 numeral date-wheel on the TopGun? There are plenty of reasons to do it if the TopGun isn't an option.

9. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has one, it looks pretty cool when new, but he said the black scratches really easily.

-LR

10. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has one, it looks pretty cool when new, but he said the black scratches really easily.

-LR

Does it show the bare bone metal with the scratch?

11. ljrcustom

Does it show the bare bone metal with the scratch?

I can't remember for sure. I can ask him but I'm pretty sure it does show through from a deep scratch. He said it didn't bother him too much but that's because his cousin lent it to him a while ago and never asked for it back so he essentially got it for free.

-LR

12. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Yeah that is my biggest worry. I was actually considering getting a used Mark XVI and getting it blacked out but I was worried about scratches showing the bare metal so I just got something else that is already blacked out and more resistant to scratches. I still wouldn't mind that experiment though, never seen a blacked out Mark XVI before but I think it'll look great.

13. ljrcustom

Yeah that is my biggest worry. I was actually considering getting a used Mark XVI and getting it blacked out but I was worried about scratches showing the bare metal so I just got something else that is already blacked out and more resistant to scratches. I still wouldn't mind that experiment though, never seen a blacked out Mark XVI before but I think it'll look great.

Yeah the Mark XVI could look cool blacked out, but as you already realized you would probably be disappointed when the coating started to get scratched off. What did you end up getting instead?

-LR

14. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Got a Hublot Big Bang Classic, scratch resistant ceramic FTW!

15. ljrcustom

Got a Hublot Big Bang Classic, scratch resistant ceramic FTW!

Not as much my style, but very nice choice nonetheless. Enjoy the watch.

-LR

16. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Not as much my style, but very nice choice nonetheless. Enjoy the watch.

-LR

Thanks, been enjoying it. It isn't the traditional Big Bang which are very bulky, it is more low profile and sits nicely on the wrist. I also got their gummy croc strap for it, takes the watch to a whole new level.

17. Warren G.

Warren G. Well-Known Member

a guy i work with has a project x, its not so great really, just looks like a novelty. much prefer my nice wabi'd tritium 5513, classic design. i do like the subs on those natos though, must try that for summer.
    +1 probably my next watch purchase. might have to go on another clothing hiatus for this one... [​IMG]

18. Find Finn

How can you like the TopGun and hate how this one looks? It's practically the same watch minus a few small details. I actually prefer this because the dial is less crowded than the TopGun.

And if you knew all of those, then why ask the question why someone would do it?

I can't wear a 44mm watch, if I wanted a blacked out 3717 (or TopGun-esque watch, then that is the way to go. I could get a used 3717 for less than $3k and get it DLCed and have a practically new watch. Or what if I just don't want a huge TopGun logo engraved on the side of my watch? Or I don't like the 3 numeral date-wheel on the TopGun? There are plenty of reasons to do it if the TopGun isn't an option.

I don't like the Top Gun, it was an observation that it just looked like a top gun when blacked out and as I said I think it ruins it as I like the original better.

As you say the top gun logos are a deal breaker either you like them or you don't.

19. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

I like this one a lot better.

[​IMG]

+1

20. vespajg

vespajg Well-Known Member

Eh, it's not produced by Rolex so it voids every warranty Rolex offers. You can buy any Rolex and have any PVD company black it out and probably for a lot less mark-up, this one isn't that impressive to begin with. Easy pass.
    I believe the standard Rolex warranty is only 2 years and only to the original registered owner. Most, if not all, of the reputable special mark up companies provide a replacement warranty that covers you just as the Rolex warranty did. The movement typically isn't harmed in any manner and the replacement warranty also covers the new finish. Much different than taking it to a PVD company that doesn't specialize in watches, or for that matter, Rolex. So I say - if you like it, have at it...