• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quit soul-sucking job ASAP?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sound like me 2 years ago. I quit, only because an old friend offered me a position immediately. But that position was also completely opposite of what I would like to do. I am only now getting out of this and into a job that somewhat goes my direction.

There is no moral to my post. Just saying **** sucks.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If, as you say, you had nothing to do last week at work, I don't see what the problem is.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Because you're more marketable. Studies have shown that the people finding new work during this current recession have been the people who were already employed. It shows that you are of value and that the company didn't just dump you at the first sign of trouble.

The 'studies' must based on a very slim caveat of people looking for work in the same industry and in a similar type of position. Switch industries and / or postions and the concept seems to go out the window... especially in this economy. Do have urls the studies?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
I'm actually surprised I haven't been laid off from current job because project flow has dried up so much that I literally had nothing to do last week.

You should have spent the time working on your resume and searching for new work.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
The 'studies' must based on a very slim caveat of people looking for work in the same industry and in a similar type of position. Switch industries and / or postions and the concept seems to go out the window... especially in this economy. Do have urls the studies?

can't tell if you're trolling or just inexperienced, but this same topic was in the news in the past week.

Originally Posted by grundletaint
even then, it sucks.

perhaps so, but at least you could be doing something with your time that at least seems fulfilling. who am i trying to fool though, work sucks. i need to hatch a get-rich-quick scheme.

Milpool

Reaction score
Because you're more marketable. Studies have shown that the people finding new work during this current recession have been the people who were already employed. It shows that you are of value and that the company didn't just dump you at the first sign of trouble.

I disagree entirely with the bolded. Many people of value were laid off and have had trouble finding work because stupid people believe such nonsensical things like the bolded.

The **** I hear coming out of HR makes me want to smack them. Finding good candidates is nearly impossible right now because of all of HRs little rules excluding everyone.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
I disagree entirely with the bolded. Many people of value were laid off and have had trouble finding work because stupid people believe such nonsensical things like the bolded.

The **** I hear coming out of HR makes me want to smack them. Finding good candidates is nearly impossible right now because of all of HRs little rules excluding everyone.

Everyone is valuable, but not everyone is essential. Don't kill the messanger.

Rummage

Reaction score
It is also my perception that work is easier to find when you are already employed.

Here's what I did.

I'm still employed at the soul sucker, but I partnered up with some people to open up a buy/sell/trade ("recycled fashion") store on the side as a fun and rewarding project.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool

This.

Everyone is valuable, but not everyone is essential. Don't kill the messanger.

No. Not everyone is valuable and even 'essential' positions have been eliminated and the work redistributed among other workers.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
This.

No. Not everyone is valuable and even 'essential' positions have been eliminated and the work redistributed among other workers.

Then the position wasn't "essential".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads