• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
I like them a lot. They're like the unlined chukka only a ptb.
I'd be all over them if I didn't already have a pair of PS Cages in that same color suede.

I had the identical reaction - 'those look great, just like my PS Cages.'

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Winn Perry Chromexcel Workman Oxford making their maiden voyage.
95f4d00c.jpg

Derek92

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
My feet are slightly wider than the norm so I went TTS with the Grant last, which is .5 bigger than my Barrie and TruBalance last shoes.

And they fit fine? There is a pair of 9D I want on ebay and I have a wide foot too but my normal foot size is 9. Should I just chance it and flip if they don't fit?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Derek92
And they fit fine? There is a pair of 9D I want on ebay and I have a wide foot too but my normal foot size is 9. Should I just chance it and flip if they don't fit?
Yes. They're one of my favorites actually. Grant last #8 cap toe boots. It is the only last I have other than Barrie and TruBalance. I usually stick with the two latter lasts because of the shape of my feet. But I wanted those #8 cap toe boots so I went for it and it worked out.

I can't really answer your decision for you because I'm not sure if you will lose/make money off of it. (I never bought used Aldens, or shoes in general before).

mtc2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Does anyone here get Alden belts to match their Aldens? If so, can you weigh in on the quality and sizing? Thanks.

I can only speak from experience regarding the Cordovan varieties.
Overall quality is good. Some uneven stitching here and there, but not bad. Buckle is solid brass. Sizing is fairly true to size. Just remember to order 2 inch wider than your normal waist size.

If you are looking for 30mm belts, I would suggest Brooks Brothers' Cordovan. Horween Cordovan, Canadian made, very, very nice finish. IMO better than the Alden ones. The best part of it, available in whiskey shell if your are into that kind of color. Not to mention the possible discount.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mtc2000
I can only speak from experience regarding the Cordovan varieties. Overall quality is good. Some uneven stitching here and there, but not bad. Buckle is solid brass. Sizing is fairly true to size. Just remember to order 2 inch wider than your normal waist size. If you are looking for 30mm belts, I would suggest Brooks Brothers' Cordovan. Horween Cordovan, Canadian made, very, very nice finish. IMO better than the Alden ones. The best part of it, available in whiskey shell if your are into that kind of color. Not to mention the possible discount.
I have both the "Black" and "Burgundy" belts from BB and they go great with Black shell and Color #8 shoes, respectively.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mtc2000
I can only speak from experience regarding the Cordovan varieties.
Overall quality is good. Some uneven stitching here and there, but not bad. Buckle is solid brass. Sizing is fairly true to size. Just remember to order 2 inch wider than your normal waist size.

If you are looking for 30mm belts, I would suggest Brooks Brothers' Cordovan. Horween Cordovan, Canadian made, very, very nice finish. IMO better than the Alden ones. The best part of it, available in whiskey shell if your are into that kind of color. Not to mention the possible discount.

Thanks. I will stop by the local BB to see them for myself. I'm done with Aldens for a while. The natural chromexcel Indy Oxfords should be here next week. Black shell, ravello, and whiskey are on order. I just need belts to match them now. I'm not sure of the with in mm, but I'm looking for the typical 1'' belts to go with dress pants.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Thanks. I will stop by the local BB to see them for myself. I'm done with Aldens for a while. The natural chromexcel Indy Oxfords should be here next week. Black shell, ravello, and whiskey are on order. I just need belts to match them now. I'm not sure of the with in mm, but I'm looking for the typical 1'' belts to go with dress pants.
Anywhere to get a 35mm (or is it 34mm?) width belt in shell? Looking for something to match whiskey and or #8. Thanks and apologies for the continuation of thread derailment.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
I don't disagree, but we all know how #8 will look black, brown or red depending on lighting, type of flash, etc... Whatever the case, bad web marketing in not making it more clear.

Definitely look like shell. Even Barneys would not sell calf Aldens for $610

mtc2000

Reaction score
Not a very good picture, but I hope it helps. From top to bottom:

BB "tan" Cordovan, 30mm width, gold tone buckle.
Alden Ravello, 35mm width, nickel plated brass buckle.
Alden Cigar, 30mm width, nickel plated brass buckle.

One (1) inch belt would be pretty narrow. Normal dress belts are around 30mm, approx. 1-1/5 in (one and one fifth inch). From what I know, the BB ones are 30mm with gold tone buckles, unless they changed recently. Alden offers 30mm and 35mm, with either gold tone or nickel plated buckles.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Does anyone here get Alden belts to match their Aldens? If so, can you weigh in on the quality and sizing? Thanks.

Sizing is... just like any other belt. Quality of the Shell belts is superb. Much higher than the Shell belts BB sells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads