1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Huge cost, and massive wait. I've heard people report the MTO fee is $200 and the wait is over a year. That would put the cost of a Shell LWB at $800+. At that price I'm not sure I would accept Alden quality.

I wonder if we could get a group order for the LWB on some other last. If we get enough people, maybe we could have the fee waved. If we can agree on a last I like, I would probably be in for a pair in #8.

2. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

So my Leather Soul x Style Forum shortwings came a day earlier than expected. Will try and put some fit pics up tomorrow but the shadow of doubt has already been cast. While my captoe boots are on the Barrie last and my 403's the Trubalance, they're both boots and so never really noticed any heel slippage. For this reason I thought I'd be OK with my first pair of bluchers being on that last. Wrong.

I tried them on and walked around on the carpet for a bit and noticed the slippage instantly. I know I could probably slide them off my foot while they were still tied if I wanted to. So, while they look (and smell) absolutely gorgeous, I just don't know now. Does anybody with this problem just suck it up and deal with it, or is there a makeshift solution? I didn't understand why everybody complained about the Barrie last (other than the aesthetic of it, that seems legit) until now. Would sizing down a whole size help (I just sized down the typical half size) or should I just flip them?

I'm starting to wonder if the MTO route is the way to go with bluchers where your only option is blobby Barrie.

EDIT: just saw the post above me. Did SF request to put these Leather Soul shortwings on the Barrie last or was that out of SF's hands? I would definitely be all for a longwing shell order that solves the heel slippage problem caused by the Barrie last. How does the Grant last measure up in the heel?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  3. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I've spent so much money trying to find a size of Barrie that works for me. None does. It's either stupidly big in the heel, or stupidly tight in the toe box. There is no fitting my foot in that damn last. My closet is full of Barrie lasted Shell shoes, standing as testament to my shitty buying habits and desire to put style over fit.

My one moment of strength was sending back my pair of Ravelo shortwings before I wore them. From now on I don't even look at Barrie lasted shoes - I just think, "too bad they stuck it on that."

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

bb, did you size down 1/2 from your regular size? if you did, it sounds like the double leather sole needs a bit of a break inb, did you size down 1/2 from your regular size? if you did, it sounds like the double leather sole needs a bit of a break in

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

my best fitting Barrie shoe turned out to be a chukka in black shell. I sized down one whole size and increased the width to E. fit like a glove

6. marg

marg Senior member

barrie is the normal go to because it fits the widest range of feet. i like the grant. a lot. it's ironic that these posts are up now because i messaged kgmessier earlier about his thoughts on a wingtip special makeup on the grant as he successfully got 2 group orders together for other shoes. i am thinking about a shortwing boot on the grant, preferrably in ravello or cigar. i'm open to one in some type of interesting calf if the shell won't work. my feet may be wide, but i don't have cankles, so the barrie is brutal without tongue pads.

you can google pics of wingtip grant last shoes. leathersoul did one a few years back that looked really nice. brooks brothers shell longwings were also on the grant.

1 person likes this.
  7. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

My worst fitting was a Chukka! I sized down .5 and went with a D. Then I went down 1 and went with a D. Neither fit.

If your heel slides side to side in a shoe, it's not a stiff sole that's causing it. It's the fact that you could fit a regulation softball in the heel counter.

8. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

Namor, I did size down half a size and if I remember correctly, Tom @ LS was saying they didn't do any E widths for this run.

Guess I'll just chalk this up to a learning process that tells me I need bluchers lasted on something else besides Barrie. :confused:

EDIT: The weird thing was that I tried on a pair of 975's in the same size at Leffot this past April and didn't have any problems with slippage.

9. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Off Topic but Marg i just wanted to tell you that your sig pic cracks me up every time i look at it. i have no idea what the story behind it is, and i don't really want to know as it may spoil the enjoyment for me. It's just weirdly funny!

10. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

i have a pair of those and they have broken in nicely--if the fit is right it's a fantastic shoe!

11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I believe the Brooks Bros Black Fleece black shell longwing is on the Grant last.
    I've seen several Leydon last longwings but I don't recall ever seeing any in shell.

12. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Tom @ LeatherSoul--can you lend any insight into Alden's Barrie last and why it is so "popular" with these special make-ups? The last looks like a squished hot dog IMHO, and apparently has serious fit issues with us skinny heeled gents.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

they don't fit me right :(they don't fit me right :(

14. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

I'm not Tom, but I can tell you that the Barrie has few fit issues if sized correctly. There may be slippage here and there, but if everything was made on the Aberdeen, for instance, tons more people would complain about it being a constricting last, as it is quite slim (for Alden at least).

That being said, if everything was on the Aberdeen and Grant lasts, I'd be a happy camper.

gfreeman, this has been my quest for ages. Join the club. As was mentioned, BB does their longwings on the Grant, but they're most often offered in calf (especially black pebble grain). The only shell shade I've seen of theirs has been black.

(Also FYI Epaulet does their suede and natural chromexcel longwings on the Leydon.)

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    looking very sharp

16. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Absolutely superb uncle…outstanding shine.

17. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

18. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    whiskey wt
    argyles otc

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

20. cyc wid it