• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Seems fairly cogent, though I guess only time will tell.

I feel like capsule collections might become more common.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between european minimalism and american minimalism here ?

Also, what's margiela-esque cool ?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sipang
Also, what's margiela-esque cool ?

Whatever Jay-Z raps about.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
he used to freestyle hardcore ... now same garbage. hiphop is dead

GlenCoe

Reaction score
just got back from london. If I had a pound for every douche in barbour and pointy shoes I am koping the TOJ baseball jacket right now. so ridiculous

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Margiela-esque cool, to me at least, means issuing a bunch of retreads of your most popular and accessible stuff until nothing matters anymore. But I could be wrong. Again, GN, elucidate. Short people fashion colloquium GO

Originally Posted by wEstSidE
i dunno man i kind of don't trust someone who wears tailored clothing casually (j.k. fuuma)

I thought I just said that dog. I would wear a sportcoat casually though, in some of my dreams I am an Italian yarn baron, skipping over the waters of the Adriatic to a bright red seaplane with a breezecake in a vintage Chanel dress in tow.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, re-reading GN post, do you mean that the post-recession climate will push towards a more american "stylish minimalism" than before (wat ?) or do you mean that "'stylish minimalism" is in essence more american than european ? None of those make sense to me. Are Jil Sander and Ervell more "american" in aesthetic ?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
So many scantily clad breezecakes out last night, can't wait for summer.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sipang
Ok, re-reading GN post, do you mean that the post-recession climate will push towards a more american "stylish minimalism" than before (wat ?) or do you mean that "'stylish minimalism" is in essence more american than european ? None of those make sense to me. Are Jil Sander and Ervell more "american" in aesthetic ?
yes (c'est du n'importe quoi)

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
I like Margiela because in my mind a lot of the good stuff is an embodiment of cinema du look. It's just cool , in a gun and a girl kind of way. MMM could have done the whole wardrobe from Diva. There's a lot of romance in some of the pieces.
Originally Posted by Binker
exactly. margiela is sly, smirking, dirty irreverence. thematically, its nothing as overt and easy to pin down as the designers/labels working within a more specific aesthetic (gothninja, futuristic, workwear, etc), but it absolutely breathes through the statement pieces and especially the runway looks/shows.
^ Margiela cool, as opposed to Slimane cool, which, as MR said a while ago, is kind of Rock 'n roll. And American minimalism vs. Euro minimalism, in my mind, is the level of pretention. An american minimalism would accept, for example, a crew neck t-shirt/sweater and jeans in neutral colers, which I don't think would fly in a more pretentious "minimalist aesthetic" which I associate with Jil Sander/APC. "American" minimalism is more the type of minimalism that doesn't require you to have an expensive haircut. And I'm talking not on the level of clothing enthusiasts, i'm talking about the filter-down and mainstream-ization of clothing styles. Like, a lot of looks from from EG/WWM/NDG/W+H filtered into JCrew/The Gap/Youalldidthis In other news I realized that Black jeans are, in fact, very easy to match with things and I was worrying over nothing.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
this is what you're saying

american minimalism = garbage you find in the mall
euro minimalism = apc = jil sander = pretentious

awesome

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, that's not what i'm saying at all,

I'd explain it but but I have a storng feeling that you would rather cherry pick my points in order to disagree with me/poke holes in my theory in order to shut me up rather than actually engage with the ideas i've presented.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i just used your words. you said american minimalism, composed of items easily found in tj max and walmarts across the country, is less pretentious than euro minimalism which you associate with jil/apc, lumping these two together. that's fine, you're entitled to this opinion and i just wanted to confirm it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads