Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Seems fairly cogent, though I guess only time will tell.

I feel like capsule collections might become more common.

2. sipang

sipang Senior member

What's the difference between european minimalism and american minimalism here ?

Also, what's margiela-esque cool ?

3. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

please don't

4. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Also, what's margiela-esque cool ?

Whatever Jay-Z raps about.

5. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

6. the shah

he used to freestyle hardcore ... now same garbage. hiphop is dead

7. GlenCoe

GlenCoe Senior member

just got back from london. If I had a pound for every douche in barbour and pointy shoes I am koping the TOJ baseball jacket right now. so ridiculous

8. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

Margiela-esque cool, to me at least, means issuing a bunch of retreads of your most popular and accessible stuff until nothing matters anymore. But I could be wrong. Again, GN, elucidate. Short people fashion colloquium GO

i dunno man i kind of don't trust someone who wears tailored clothing casually (j.k. fuuma)

I thought I just said that dog. I would wear a sportcoat casually though, in some of my dreams I am an Italian yarn baron, skipping over the waters of the Adriatic to a bright red seaplane with a breezecake in a vintage Chanel dress in tow.

9. sipang

sipang Senior member

Ok, re-reading GN post, do you mean that the post-recession climate will push towards a more american "stylish minimalism" than before (wat ?) or do you mean that "'stylish minimalism" is in essence more american than european ? None of those make sense to me. Are Jil Sander and Ervell more "american" in aesthetic ?

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

So many scantily clad breezecakes out last night, can't wait for summer.

11. the shah

Ok, re-reading GN post, do you mean that the post-recession climate will push towards a more american "stylish minimalism" than before (wat ?) or do you mean that "'stylish minimalism" is in essence more american than european ? None of those make sense to me. Are Jil Sander and Ervell more "american" in aesthetic ?
    yes (c'est du n'importe quoi)

12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I like Margiela because in my mind a lot of the good stuff is an embodiment of cinema du look. It's just cool , in a gun and a girl kind of way. MMM could have done the whole wardrobe from Diva. There's a lot of romance in some of the pieces.
    exactly. margiela is sly, smirking, dirty irreverence. thematically, its nothing as overt and easy to pin down as the designers/labels working within a more specific aesthetic (gothninja, futuristic, workwear, etc), but it absolutely breathes through the statement pieces and especially the runway looks/shows.
    ^ Margiela cool, as opposed to Slimane cool, which, as MR said a while ago, is kind of Rock 'n roll. And American minimalism vs. Euro minimalism, in my mind, is the level of pretention. An american minimalism would accept, for example, a crew neck t-shirt/sweater and jeans in neutral colers, which I don't think would fly in a more pretentious "minimalist aesthetic" which I associate with Jil Sander/APC. "American" minimalism is more the type of minimalism that doesn't require you to have an expensive haircut. And I'm talking not on the level of clothing enthusiasts, i'm talking about the filter-down and mainstream-ization of clothing styles. Like, a lot of looks from from EG/WWM/NDG/W+H filtered into JCrew/The Gap/Youalldidthis In other news I realized that Black jeans are, in fact, very easy to match with things and I was worrying over nothing.

13. the shah

this is what you're saying

american minimalism = garbage you find in the mall
    euro minimalism = apc = jil sander = pretentious

awesome

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

No, that's not what i'm saying at all,

I'd explain it but but I have a storng feeling that you would rather cherry pick my points in order to disagree with me/poke holes in my theory in order to shut me up rather than actually engage with the ideas i've presented.

15. the shah

i just used your words. you said american minimalism, composed of items easily found in tj max and walmarts across the country, is less pretentious than euro minimalism which you associate with jil/apc, lumping these two together. that's fine, you're entitled to this opinion and i just wanted to confirm it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.