• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You'd be fine in either one. The gray one does look a bit more subtle.

If you want to be inconspicuous, wear a solid shirt (white or blue) and leave the links at home.

I have not travelled with FC shirts since I lost one of my favorite links on a trip to London.
frown.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You'd be fine in either one. The gray one does look a bit more subtle.

If you want to be inconspicuous, wear a solid shirt (white or blue) and leave the links at home.

I have not travelled with FC shirts since I lost one of my favorite links on a trip to London.
frown.gif

Ok, good to hear.

Thanks, Manton!

Mike

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
^ That is the perfect Washington/politician uniform, right down to the tie color & pattern. There's nothing wrong with it and it is certainly conservative but I don't like it. Too expected/boring/common whatever.

Sorry.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, guys. Makes sense to me and I agree on all points. Good learning thread for sure. Here's another...
szwf9c.jpg
Tie is cashmere, hanky is silk. Suit is brown with a pale red and pale blue overcheck. Shirt is solid light blue.

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
^ That is the perfect Washington/politician uniform, right down to the tie color & pattern. There's nothing wrong with it and it is certainly conservative but I don't like it. Too expected/boring/common whatever.

Sorry.

Wow... considering I am about as far away from a politician as you can get, I can certainly use some advice about what I could do to make my appearance more conservative business dress. What type of tie (material)shirt (colors)etc. would you recommend?

Requiem

Reaction score
^^ Mr. Moo, that's really good looking and, to my eye, it is still very business like. BIG business like.

Here's one of my favorite low-profile looks (shirt is probably light blue, not white)
DSC00275-1.jpg

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to add that this is a great thread and thanks to the OP for making it. This topic is pretty much the reason I joined SF - to find out how to dress for work. While the WAYWRN thread is great, this one will likely be more appropriate for me. Granted, different people will have different ideas of what constitutes conservative business dress - for me, that pink tie from this post, while very, very nice probably would not - but figuring this out will be part of the fun.

lurker[1].gif

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ @Mr. Moo, that is a very fine ensemble indeed, especially in the colder months.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A great many of the looks here are losing "conservativeness" with the PS. I understand we are not talking UCBD, but there are enough "acceptable" exceptions taken with shirt and tie variations here to still be within that definition. The PS are taking it over the line in many cases, IMO.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Thanks for the comments, guys. Makes sense to me and I agree on all points. Good learning thread for sure.

Here's another...

szwf9c.jpg

Tie is cashmere, hanky is silk. Suit is brown with a pale red and pale blue overcheck. Shirt is solid light blue.

I don't dislike any single piece but the tone of the tie and suit are too close. I think more contrast would be better.

IIRC, this is the same suit you posted earlier but with a dark blue tie. I liked that better.

The square is nice and works well with all the individual parts.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred49
Wow... considering I am about as far away from a politician as you can get, I can certainly use some advice about what I could do to make my appearance more conservative business dress. What type of tie (material)shirt (colors)etc. would you recommend?

First of all, you are already conservative business dress. If that's what you are going for, you are there.

If you want to look better in a "manton" alternate universe, ditch the red tie. I think it is the hardest color to wear well and most simply don't look good.

The suit and shirt are fine. That suit with (say) a pale blue shirt and rust orange tie would look very nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads