• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do no break/little break pants look "short" to the casual observer?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the non-iGent world, do no break slacks look Pee Wee Herman-esque?

Recently, I had someone who dresses rather poorly comment that my suit pants were "too short." The thing is, I have my tailor do no break + 0.5 inches, so this shouldn't look odd in the slightest. A far cry from this kind of Thom Browne ****:

thom_browne1.jpg

Are most people accustomed to seeing fabric bunching at the bottom of pants?

Discuss.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617

Discuss.

Yes.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've gotten several compliments on my no-break trousers. However, in my marsupialed opinion, fuller pants suffer from the same problem as shirts with lower armpits. When bending the knee, fuller-cut pants ride up higher, while slimmer pants stay on the shoe. I'm not sure why that happens and if it happens to anyone but me at all.

To answer your question: a casual observer won't think your pants are too short if they cover the socks completely.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Manton: I'd be interested in hearing your opinion since you wrote a whole book on conservative business dress. Are people, in effect, doing themselves a disservice by going no-break? Does it look good to an iGent and bad to the rest of the world?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Many casual observers will think no-break pants are too short and are even incorrectly so. Furthermore, most will have strong preferences for black shoes over brown shoes (especially women), especially when paired with blue or grey.

iGent style and Great Unwashed style are fairly uncorrelated.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just look around the next time you're at a busy public place like a mall, restaurant, airport etc. and notice how many people have their strides dragging along the floor. I'm not a proponent of the Thom Brown no break but every time I buy trousers I have to tell the on site alterations people I don't want the hems touching the heels of my shoes and ideally about half way between the top of the backstrap and the top of the heel.

TheEdwardian

Reaction score
Is it not something to with the angle of cuff cut?

My alterations guy (and previously my mum) always cut them with a strong drop to the heel (called a regimental back, I think), so they fall to the top of the shoe heel at the rear and have a half inch break at the front. My tailor says the way to do it is when bestockinged at fitting time, you make the back touch the floor, and pin the front to give your preferred break.

It looks clean without looking like you are wearing hoistys. You avoid both iGentry and looking like a (different sort of) dickhead, because you are conservatively dressed. The trick of conservative business dress is surely to avoid drawing attention. Short trousers are a statement. So are ankle puddles. If it's done well, no one will notice the detail unless they look, they will take away the overall impression. Same principle of not wearing a Huntsman with a disney tie.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
In the non-iGent world, do no break slacks look Pee Wee Herman-esque?

Recently, I had someone who dresses rather poorly comment that my suit pants were "too short." The thing is, I have my tailor do no break + 0.5 inches, so this shouldn't look odd in the slightest. A far cry from this kind of Thom Browne ****:

thom_browne1.jpg

Discuss.

There is a difference between little/no break and being a full 3 inches too short, which is what is shown in the pic.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
There is a difference between little/no break and being a full 3 inches too short, which is what is shown in the pic.
Correct. But certain people with less discerning eyes seem to believe that no break trousers are too short. I'd characterize no break trousers as fine, but Thom Browne ones as far too short.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the minimal break, but they can look short especially as you're walking since the pants get pulled up by your legs.

--Andre

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's good enough for the President, I say to hell with the nay-sayers:

jfk%2BIKE-handshake.jpg

jfk%2BIKE-suits.jpg

1962-JFK-lg-92294589.jpg

Requiem

Reaction score
I've always worn trousers with no break and, although I think some people find it vaguely strange, I expect them to notice the care I put on my overall look and understand the trousers lenght as a style option.
However, I think most untrained eyes don't go much further than noticing the tie's colours...

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that prior to buying my first real suit, I thought the same thing. I feel more enlightened now.

As to why most people do it... I know I did it because that's how I thought pants should fit in the early 00s, and that's where, up until recently, most of my thoughts on this stuff came from.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads