• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
he needs to wear in his clothing. everything looks too stiff and too new. he looks like the type of dude who has to iron his chinos every morning.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^lol.

Imo, sizing down on the jacket, ditch the cardigan would be the way to go with the last fit. No sports jacket has any buisness fitting over a long chunky cardigan.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by themidship22
SVB, your efforts at wearing more than shirt, pants, and shoes has failed you. I can't decide what style you are going for, but you currently dress boring. I think maybe a nice ToJ bomber in brown or whiskey would look legit over your normal daily attire.

Originally Posted by tween_spirit
dude that would just be full-on dad status

Absolutely do not go with a bomber SVB. No bomber. Unless you want people to ask whether you are registered at Babies R Us.

Bombers are tough to pull off. Boomers friggin wrecked them by wearing them 3x large and in that damn faded turd brown color.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
he needs to wear in his clothing. everything looks too stiff and too new. he looks like the type of dude who has to iron his chinos every morning.

where are you getting this from? I've had the blazer for years, same with the chinos. nothing is ironed.

the only new-ish piece here is the cardigan, which is supposed to be chunky and not painted-on

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
where are you getting this from? I've had the blazer for years, same with the chinos. nothing is ironed.

the only new-ish piece here is the cardigan, which is supposed to be chunky and not painted-on

there's a difference between chunky and oversized - it's the latter not the former, and it sadly doesn't look great.

my point is that you need to develop personal style. it seems you're just buying into an aesthetic (literally and figuratively), without adapting it to your personal bodytype and your tastes. you just look kind of dorky man, and it's a shame because you've clearly dropped a lot of $ on clothes. your look is too studied and it makes it affected.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SVB needs to wear a ToJ DR and some 19cm's

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
oh, I haven't spent that much. everything pictured here is just mall brand crap. i think the blazer might have been $60. nothing is over $100

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
don't you own like 40 epaulet items?

here's my advice, take it or leave it:

1. stop buying new clothes for awhile
2. grow your hair out
3. get some cooler frames. i have a pair of similar of 'dress' frames but i also have a pair of more aggressive frames that i wear most of the time.
4. start wearing your **** more casually. don't iron shirts. throw them on the ground. think about how you want to wear your clothing. a big part of looking casual in prep/looking good in prep is subverting the dressy aspect with small personal detailing like cuff rolls, hem tucks, showing sock, etc. mellowfellow is a good example of this.

i feel at this point you have a wardrobe, and fit on some items aside, your biggest issue is styling.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
With regard to the look/aesthetic I'm going for, I think MoK pretty much hit the nail on the head a few pages back:

Originally Posted by ManofKent
Anyway as it seems to be dissect SvB day I'll chuck in my hopefully constructive thoughts:

The vibe you give off to me is 1950's clean cut American on vacation, which I find quite refreshing and like. If that's the look you're trying to achieve you've done it (find a vintage Airstream to use as a backdrop and you'll get bonus points).

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
With regard to the look/aesthetic I'm going for, I think MoK pretty much hit the nail on the head a few pages back:

oh no i get the vibe you're going for (and i think everyone else does), but we're saying that: a. it doesn't look that great on you, and b. you're not doing in that well.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
DSC02312.jpg

I like the shirt, Bisco. I think a Junya x Levi's jacket would put this over the top

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
don't you own like 40 epaulet items?

Yes I have a bunch of stuff from them and will likely continue to get more. That stuff's not shown in my latest fit tho.

here's my advice, take it or leave it:

1. stop buying new clothes for awhile
2. grow your hair out
3. get some cooler frames. i have a pair of similar of 'dress' frames but i also have a pair of more aggressive frames that i wear most of the time.
4. start wearing your **** more casually. don't iron shirts. throw them on the ground. think about how you want to wear your clothing. a big part of looking casual in prep/looking good in prep is subverting the dressy aspect with small personal detailing like cuff rolls, hem tucks, showing sock, etc. mellowfellow is a good example of this.

i feel at this point you have a wardrobe, and fit on some items aside, your biggest issue is styling.

I definitely agree re mellowfellow; his stuff is great and is certainly an inspiration -- especially because he is able to combine cheaper stuff with more expensive pieces (uniqlo oxfords and ervell knits, etc) and make it look good.

w/ regard to the glasses, I had wire frames before that were awful. when I got these, there was resounding approval. I'm a bit perplexed at how reactions have seemed to change and now two months later these are all of a sudden not cool enough or something.

w/ regard to hair, I think I just need to change what I'm using. It looks a lot better when I can get more lift out of it. here's how it should look normally, I was just lazy today

164836_606199419426_8503920_34394778_5541661_n.jpg

I'm still open to any suggestions on hair, provided they're appropriate for a mid-size law firm. I can get away with more than people at big firms but there's still a limit.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to intentionally jump on the SVB dogpile, but I've given some thought as to what was off with virtually every SVB fit.

At first, I thought it was just the hair and glasses (gives off a major Lewis Skolnick vibe... and not in a good nostalgic kind of way). So I went back and scrolled down far enough where just his head was cut off. Something was still off and I think I figured it out.

Maybe the camera angle is off in every photo, but it looks like SVB wears pants in L, shirts in M, and if he wore hats, they'd be S. I don't know if that makes sense, but that is opposed to, say wearing M in everything.

Basically his waist looks wider than his chest.

Unrelated, but I thought the colors were great in the SVB fit with the navy BoO and dark khaki pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads