• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

SwiftLearner

Reaction score
I found Red Wings to be similarly difficult to size. I wear a 9 generally. The 9s are longer than normal, but fit in terms of width. I tried the 8.5, and they squeezed my right foot in an uncomfortable way.

I went with the 9s. If I'm going to be really moving a lot, I just lace them up tight. But, I've always been fine with having extra room in the toe.

Also, the 8.5 were the floor model. Oy.

fpr4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SwiftLearner
I found Red Wings to be similarly difficult to size. I wear a 9 generally. The 9s are longer than normal, but fit in terms of width. I tried the 8.5, and they squeezed my right foot in an uncomfortable way.

I went with the 9s. If I'm going to be really moving a lot, I just lace them up tight. But, I've always been fine with having extra room in the toe.

Also, the 8.5 were the floor model. Oy.

Yea, mine fit pretty well throughout. A little extra room in the toe but they don't even slide (for the most part) even when I have them unlaced. The arch is slightly high and snug but not in an uncomfortable way. Just in a "hugging my feet" kinda way. Probably just feels a little off because I'm not used to a shoe that conforms to the foot.

spaceballs

Reaction score
Also, as these boots break in, they tend to get slightly shorter and wider.

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do these fare well at all during the spring/summer?

eczerwonka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lesamourai
Do these fare well at all during the spring/summer?

I wore them everyday last summer to ride my motocycle to work. The toebox is pretty big allowing your toes room to breathe. I also felt like the cork soles diffused some of the blistering heat on the Florida pavements as well as giving really good traction in wet weather. I really thought they worked pretty well in really hot weather, but I only wore them on the bike as I have better options for casual summer shoes/boots. If you "need" boots for summer these work well.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fpr4
Yea, mine fit pretty well throughout. A little extra room in the toe but they don't even slide (for the most part) even when I have them unlaced. The arch is slightly high and snug but not in an uncomfortable way. Just in a "hugging my feet" kinda way. Probably just feels a little off because I'm not used to a shoe that conforms to the foot.

Providing the foot doesn't slide forward when laced andthey don't bend at an uncomfortable point extra room in the toe box is a non-issue on any shoe/boot.

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eczerwonka
I wore them everyday last summer to ride my motocycle to work. The toebox is pretty big allowing your toes room to breathe. I also felt like the cork soles diffused some of the blistering heat on the Florida pavements as well as giving really good traction in wet weather. I really thought they worked pretty well in really hot weather, but I only wore them on the bike as I have better options for casual summer shoes/boots. If you "need" boots for summer these work well.

Sounds good. Looks like I'll probably be picking up a pair in the near future. Thanks for the input.

spaceballs

Reaction score
Well poop.

I had ordered one pair of Iron Rangers that had to be returned for a rear counter that wasn't sewn on straight. Had another quality problem with a pair of 877s. Red Wing, of course, took them back and replaced them both.

The two new pair that I received today ALSO had some quality defects. There was a big leather pinch that was uncomfortable on the heel of the Iron Rangers and the 877s were lasted crooked. I really hated sending them back again. The dealer I go to really does have amazing service and they really don't mind doing what it takes to make me happy. For what these boots cost though - nearly $450 between the pair - they ought to be near perfect.

Sometimes it just seems like the quality control is a bit poor on these. They are great at accepting returns but I really wish they had gotten it right on the front end.

SwiftLearner

Reaction score
^^^^^ that sucks but one aspect of Red Wings that I love is that they really feel made by hand. Something about the slight imperfections let me know a human and not a machine made the shoes.

Funny that some clothes cost more with imperfections (LVC), others get sent back...

fpr4

Reaction score
Wow. These boots are awesome. Dare I say they get more comfortable later in the day?

Anybody resoled a pair? I'm wondering how easy/cheap it is to replace the sole once it wears out...

I'm gonna put some mink oil on them here tonight since it is projected to rain here where I live the next week or so.

spaceballs

Reaction score
Anybody resoled a pair? I'm wondering how easy/cheap it is to replace the sole once it wears out...
My Red Wing dealer can do it for $70 - which includes shipping and a factory resole.

fpr4

Reaction score
Any sock suggestions? I'm looking for some navy/khaki/charcoal boot socks mid-weight.

I also learned that I have a pretty collapsed right arch. Wore the boots for a couple of days and the left one fits like a dream but the right one was absolutely killing me through the ankle and arch. Kinda self-diagnosed just by really studying how the right foot sat on an extremely flat/hard surface. Put an orthotic arch insert into both boots and they feel a ton better... Would love to go au naturale with the leather sole but it just wasn't working for me...

spaceballs

Reaction score
Any sock suggestions? I'm looking for some navy/khaki/charcoal boot socks mid-weight.
I like the merino socks you can get at REI. If they don't hold up for at least a year, I return them.

Orvis also sells some socks that they call Invincible Extra Socks for $39/3pr. I might give them a try next.

fpr4

Reaction score
How long did you all's tongue tags last? I've been wearing mine a couple of days and they are already starting to fray and come apart from the stitching. Not a big deal, really. Just me being OCD.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads