Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Garage/Surf Rock, Sep 30, 2008.

1. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

So I finally bought a new pair of Iron Rangers at the Red Wing store in Red Wing, MN. After having read how they run large, I was surprised find out that they fit true to size. I regularly wear a 10D in almost everything, with a few exceptions. I tried on a 9, 9.5, 10, and 10.5, and the 10D fit like a glove.
    I found this to be the case as well. I bought mine through a Red Wing dealer and just ordered my measured size. The toe box is a little bit roomy, but I like the way it fits. I also wear a Red Wing 877 in the same size and feel that I get a good, similar fit in each boot. I am confident that had I ordered down even a half size, then the boot wouldn't have had the correct break. Looking at some of the boots on here, it looks like the boots are a bit short and the break in the boot is right at the edge of the cap toe. I would find this extremely uncomfortable, but this is just me. I do know that every foot and every boot will break a bit differently. I did have to return my first pair to the store for the heel counter not being sewn on straight on one boot but I look forward to getting a new pair back sometime next week. Orvis has a "Cannon Valley" boot that looks suspiciously similar to the Iron Rangers for $180 in some sizes. If my Red Wing dealer didn't bend over backwards to make sure I am happy in my boots, then I would have bought mine from Orvis. I have lurked on this site for a while but I joined to share my fit experience with others.

2. fpr4

fpr4 Well-Known Member

I found this to be the case as well. I bought mine through a Red Wing dealer and just ordered my measured size. The toe box is a little bit roomy, but I like the way it fits. I also wear a Red Wing 877 in the same size and feel that I get a good, similar fit in each boot.

I am confident that had I ordered down even a half size, then the boot wouldn't have had the correct break. Looking at some of the boots on here, it looks like the boots are a bit short and the break in the boot is right at the edge of the cap toe. I would find this extremely uncomfortable, but this is just me. I do know that every foot and every boot will break a bit differently.

I did have to return my first pair to the store for the heel counter not being sewn on straight on one boot but I look forward to getting a new pair back sometime next week.

Orvis has a "Cannon Valley" boot that looks suspiciously similar to the Iron Rangers for $180 in some sizes. If my Red Wing dealer didn't bend over backwards to make sure I am happy in my boots, then I would have bought mine from Orvis.

I have lurked on this site for a while but I joined to share my fit experience with others.

I had some backordered LL Bean Katahdin's and they kept pushing back my ship date so I went on the Orvis link listed above, started chatting with a live agent and found out that the Orvis boots are actually Red Wing boots. They are manufactured by Red Wing and backed up by Orvis' awesome customer service. Needless to say, I ordered them. I'll let you all know how they turn out. Luckily now I won't have to wait until April 25th to get the boots I have been waiting on since January 11th.

3. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

Let us know what the model number is on the inside of these Orvis boots when you get them. They are the Iron Rangers; I am just not sure if they have an exclusive leather different than the leathers available through Red Wing.

4. fpr4

fpr4 Well-Known Member

Let us know what the model number is on the inside of these Orvis boots when you get them. They are the Iron Rangers; I am just not sure if they have an exclusive leather different than the leathers available through Red Wing.
    IMO, they look virtually identical to the Iron Ranger's "Amber" iteration... I'll let you know, though. to me, getting a pair of Red Wings for $180 is like getting a Ruth's Chris filet for $11.99.

5. duff406

duff406 Senior member

The Orvis Cannon Valley boots are Red Wings 8111. Already got a pair, and love them!

6. Burra

Burra Active Member

The toe on the Orvis boots looks a little less bulbous. Or is that just the picture?

7. kmbrtbl

kmbrtbl Member

Whoa, thanks for the Orvis link. Got my size in stock. I got 875s for xmas as my first boot, that looks like a great second pair.

8. DerAngriff

DerAngriff Active Member

I found this to be the case as well. I bought mine through a Red Wing dealer and just ordered my measured size. The toe box is a little bit roomy, but I like the way it fits. I also wear a Red Wing 877 in the same size and feel that I get a good, similar fit in each boot.

Are you wearing thick woollen socks with yours? I sized down from my kicks size (US 12) for a sz11 on the RW IR's. If I had gone for 12's, they'd huge! Unwearable. There's still plenty of room in the toe box too.

I was basing my shoe size on Nike sneakers - which is what I'd usually wear. Congrats on your RW's.

9. fpr4

fpr4 Well-Known Member

Are you wearing thick woollen socks with yours? I sized down from my kicks size (US 12) for a sz11 on the RW IR's. If I had gone for 12's, they'd huge! Unwearable. There's still plenty of room in the toe box too.

I was basing my shoe size on Nike sneakers - which is what I'd usually wear. Congrats on your RW's.

I think the general rule of thumb is that you size down a full size from what you typically wear in trainers. I wear a 13 in Nike, Ascics, etc. but wear a 12 in most dress shoes, boots and Converse.

10. fpr4

fpr4 Well-Known Member

Ok, so I got my boots in from Orvis. They are the Red Wings Iron Rangers (8111) Amber Harness.

Problem is, I can't figure the sizing out. I sized down a whole size to 12. They are pretty narrow thru the heel and arch but have a pretty large toe box. It's almost like I have a good inch in front of my big toe. I don't know whether to go to a Red Wing dealer and have them check the sizing or what.

11. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

I missed this thread for a few days. Sorry...
    My fit is with Red Wing brand cotton socks. Probably a little bit thicker than most normal cotton tube socks but not as thick as most wool socks. I also want the option to wear an extra pair or wool socks if I feel the need to. I also walk a ton and my feet swell from time to time so I tend to err on the larger side.

Ok, so I got my boots in from Orvis. They are the Red Wings Iron Rangers (8111) Amber Harness.

Problem is, I can't figure the sizing out. I sized down a whole size to 12. They are pretty narrow thru the heel and arch but have a pretty large toe box. It's almost like I have a good inch in front of my big toe. I don't know whether to go to a Red Wing dealer and have them check the sizing or what.

Thanks for the info regarding the model number.

My fit advice would be to see where the boot breaks when you walk. You will want the boot to break somewhere close to the middle between (I don't know the technical term) the leather where the laces and eyelets are and where the cap on the toe starts. I see a few pictures on here of boots were the boot seems to break right under the edge of the cap toe. Ouch.

My advice for fit would be to loosen the laces on the boot and slide your foot all the way forward; don't jam it but slide it forward until the toes make contact with the end of the boot. At this point, I want to be able to easily slide my thumb in between my heel and the back of the boot. Not always easy to get a thumb in with boots, but it works most of the time.

Or you could go by a Red Wing dealer and ask for advice. My Red Wing dealer always checks the width for good fit and looks at where the boot breaks. They seem to always err on having a boot a little bit longer. In my experience, most boots tend to get slightly shorter and wider as they break in.

Or...since these are Orvis boots, feel free to wear them for a month or longer or however long you see fit. Then return them if you aren't satisfied with the fit. I noticed that they are ALL sold on out these boots now and that the price got down to $140 or so. So you probably can't just swap them out for a new size.

12. Alex C

Alex C Senior member

I missed this thread for a few days. Sorry...
    My fit is with Red Wing brand cotton socks. Probably a little bit thicker than most normal cotton tube socks but not as thick as most wool socks. I also want the option to wear an extra pair or wool socks if I feel the need to. I also walk a ton and my feet swell from time to time so I tend to err on the larger side.

Thanks for the info regarding the model number.

My fit advice would be to see where the boot breaks when you walk. You will want the boot to break somewhere close to the middle between (I don't know the technical term) the leather where the laces and eyelets are and where the cap on the toe starts. I see a few pictures on here of boots were the boot seems to break right under the edge of the cap toe. Ouch.

My advice for fit would be to loosen the laces on the boot and slide your foot all the way forward; don't jam it but slide it forward until the toes make contact with the end of the boot. At this point, I want to be able to easily slide my thumb in between my heel and the back of the boot. Not always easy to get a thumb in with boots, but it works most of the time.

Or you could go by a Red Wing dealer and ask for advice. My Red Wing dealer always checks the width for good fit and looks at where the boot breaks. They seem to always err on having a boot a little bit longer. In my experience, most boots tend to get slightly shorter and wider as they break in.

Or...since these are Orvis boots, feel free to wear them for a month or longer or however long you see fit. Then return them if you aren't satisfied with the fit. I noticed that they are ALL sold on out these boots now and that the price got down to $140 or so. So you probably can't just swap them out for a new size.

And if you can't make them work, sell them to someone who missed the sale on Orvis (hint)

13. fpr4

fpr4 Well-Known Member

First of all, my apologies for the buffalo plaid lounge pants.

Picture of space behind heel with foot slid as far forward as possible. Probably enough room for an index finger with a little space or a full thumb:
    [​IMG]

forward angle with "tight" lace-up:
    [​IMG]

break in boot with forefoot bent:
    [​IMG]

profile shot:
    [​IMG]

General comments on sizing based on these images? Anything of concern stand out? My main concern is the room in the toe box (decent amount of space in front of my toes but my feet don't slide around in the boot) and the narrowness of the sole below the arch. It has to be intentional, though. It's only 2-3/4" just before the heel. Are normal feet this narrow in that area? Not sure if it really matters since that area of the sole will probably never touch the ground.

14. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

This is pretty close to the way my boots fit. Like I mentioned before. Since you can return these to Orvis at any time, take as long as you want and wear as much as you want before making your mind up!