• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick pic of my Springfield Loaded PX9154LP with VZ Alien grips and Wilson Combat magazine. Doesn't capture how nice the blackened stainless looks in real life, but you get the picture.

IMG_2419.jpg

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Justin-
Are you more of a fan of Kalashnikov designs versus Stoner? Seems like you definitely lean that direction.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Justin-
Are you more of a fan of Kalashnikov designs versus Stoner? Seems like you definitely lean that direction.

That's an interesting question.

Up until about 12 months ago, I was all about the HK roller-locked mechanism. In various services I've been issued everything form an SLR (FAL), G3, to the AUG and F1 so those rifles, and particularly the G3, have some sentimental appeal.

I've never been a fan of the AK47/AKM. ARs are practical and all that, but just not very interesting to me.

However, last year I put together a Saiga 12 which led me to re-examine the AK74 family. Now I am a bit of a fan of the 5.45 chambered AKs (though still not really interested in 7.63x39 AKs). . I also have a friend who is really into Dragunovs and I must admit they are a lot of fun to shoot (though too expensive for me to buy into and not as left-hander-friendly as I would like).

If I were some sort of defense force procurement officer I'd say both the modern AK74 and M16 platforms are functional and practical and all those good things. But as a recreational builder/owner/shooter I guess it is a more subjective thing. I like wood stocks and surplus rifles with some history to them (probably why I sold my retro AR but not my 1942 SMLE). I'm not deploying to a war-zone anytime soon, so I get more pleasure out of a US civil war black powder revolver than the latest black plastic assault rifle with all the rails and gadgets on it.

Willie5566

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VaderDave
I have one of those (but the 4" barrel, not the Tactical). I like it a lot.

What caliber? I am leaning towards the .40 but am afraid I will regret not going with .45.

It seems like a well made gun. I have fired one a few times at a range where they rent guns.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willie5566
What caliber? I am leaning towards the .40 but am afraid I will regret not going with .45.

It seems like a well made gun. I have fired one a few times at a range where they rent guns.

I have a 4" XD-9 and have been thrilled with it. Probably put around 10k rounds through it and only had one jam (stove pipe) on one of those fancy nickel-coated self defense ammos (which I've ceased to use). Even ran a thousand rounds through it without any cleaning and never had a hiccup.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willie5566

Mine's a 9mm. I mostly want it for fun shooting so I decided to go with the cheaper ammo option.
Originally Posted by Nil
I have a 4" XD-9 and have been thrilled with it. Probably put around 10k rounds through it and only had one jam (stove pipe) on one of those fancy nickel-coated self defense ammos (which I've ceased to use). Even ran a thousand rounds through it without any cleaning and never had a hiccup.

I'm a few hundred rounds into mine and it has been totally reliable.

Willie5566

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil

Wow! That is dependable! I have always heard good things about the XD from the gun shop owners at a couple of the places I go to.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any modern pistol should give you a thousand rounds of shooting without cleaning, fwiw. Todd Green at pistol-shooting.com has put 50k+ rounds in a year with the M&P9, HK P30 and now the HK45 with minimal (as in every 10-15k rounds) cleaning.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Saiga guys familiar with Rhineland Arms? The make a stock kit they call the Saiga Scout that looks like it would be really cool. If I get a Saiga like I've been thinking, this is a definite possibility.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting stock - I know nothing about it, to be honest. Most folks who want a wood stock either do the conversion/restoration and then mod a surplus AK stock (as I did) or use an Ironwood design custom stock (also gets you 3 US 922R compliance parts). Finally, there is a Russian wood stock that looks nice (but pricey) here: http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/saiga12_oak.jpg

What caliber are you looking for in the Saiga? Atlantic has a 7.62x39 Vepr right now and 7.62x54 and 5.45 Veprs due in May.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Interesting stock - I know nothing about it, to be honest. Most folks who want a wood stock either do the conversion/restoration and then mod a surplus AK stock (as I did) or use an Ironwood design custom stock (also gets you 3 US 922R compliance parts). Finally, there is a Russian wood stock that looks nice (but pricey) here: http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/saiga12_oak.jpg

What caliber are you looking for in the Saiga? Atlantic has a 7.62x39 Vepr right now and 7.62x54 and 5.45 Veprs due in May.

Yeah, I figured most people were doing the conversion, and it does look good, but there's something about that stock that appeals to me. Not sure what, I know there's nothing to it. Right now I'm leaning in the direction of the 7.62x54. However, I have a friend who needs some cash right now and I might buy his Panther DPMS just to help him out. I'm not crazy about the rifle, though.

BTW, Rhineland stocks are made in Texas! They make a really nice one for the 10/22

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured most people were doing the conversion, and it does look good, but there's something about that stock that appeals to me. Not sure what, I know there's nothing to it. Right now I'm leaning in the direction of the 7.62x54.

You can go with any AK stock under the sun - so there are quite a few solid and folding options out there! I don't know how much the Vepr is going to be in 7.52x54, but it could be a lot of fun!

BTW, Rhineland stocks are made in Texas! They make a really nice one for the 10/22

Ahhh! I thought the name sounded familiar! There were prototyping a really cool HK dress-up kit for the 10/22 a few years ago - before the GSG5 hit the scene. I heard they went bust after that - glad to hear they are back.

Austin45

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Well, the time has come where I have decided to purchase my first firearm. I'm looking at a 9mm Beretta pistol. What kinds of guns do you all have and which would you recommend for a first timer?

Has guns become some toys that people but on daily bases to go play bad cope good cope with or what?

We are talking about guns here people!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads