• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button down short sleeve shirts

Reaction score
What does everyone think about these type of shirts? I live in a very warm area (will be 100+ in summer + very very humid) and simply refuse to wear long sleeve shirts or jackets during this time lol. I tend to wear a lot of v-necks or polos, but that gets boring after a while. Was wanting to pick up some short sleeve button downs to wear to casual social functions/bars/restaurants (1 in white and 1 in black).

Any good brands to check out? Links?

sm-2912-white.jpg

or http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-ora...-shirt/3142572

one above seems kinda played out/dorky

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
1. A button down is a shirt whose collars button down
2. Where do you live that covering your arms will cause such over heating?
3. You won't get much love for short sleeve shirts on here, maybe SW&D can help
4. If you work in IT or Mission Control forget the above and knock yourself out

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you are talking about casual wear....go for it...

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Thumbs down to the black shirt if your ultimate goal is staying cool.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Yes. Strictly casual, and untucked.

I do quite well just rolling up the sleeves on my normal shirts. It makes for a more versatile shirt than one you can only wear when it is very warm.

MadAboutPlaid

Reaction score
With shorts, maybe - but not to work unless you want to look like Michael Douglas in the movie "Falling Down"

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Storm33
When I see people in short sleeve shirts like that at work, I think "low-level staff accountant" / "nerd".

"Was wanting to pick up some short sleeve button downs to wear to casual social functions/bars/restaurants"

he didn't say work...

TRA8324

Reaction score
Short sleeved button ups are fine, but to work they need to be slim fitting with short, slim fitting sleeves. I think they looks best untucked as well, but for this to work you need to make sure it's not too long. I find that buying a size down helps because the shirt will be more slim fitting and shorter.

sellahi22

Reaction score
I think button down short sleeve shirts are way underrated. I strongly prefer them to both polo shirts and rolled up long sleeve shirts (which seriously inhibit air circulation on a hot day).

The key to avoiding the dilbert look is, obviously, fabric and fit. Avoid dressy fabrics like fine poplin, and avoid heavy fabrics like oxfords. Linen works well IME, as well as poplins with nice, bold summery patterns (checks preferable to stripes). A slightly rumpled look is superior to a crisp, pressed look, so the fabric should accomodate that. Torso fit can be slim or loose, but it's crucial that the sleeves are slim and not too long - otherwise it will look like a tommy bahama grandpa shirt.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am not a fan. Unless you are very fit, a la Dexter (who was mentioned above) or some of the guys on Hawaii 5-0, and are wearing one that is very, very fitted, including in the sleeves and armholes, I tend to think it is a very unrefined look.

I personally find just rolling up the sleeves on a conventional shirt is plenty cool enough for me, even if you are in a warmer climate. I spend a lot of time in tropical places like Hong Kong and I have no problem with long sleeves.

It is extra helpful if you wear fabrics that are thin or breathe easily, or sit off your skin a little to allow for some cooling. E.g. linen, chambray, seersucker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads