Button down short sleeve shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by KING HARDCASTLE, Mar 7, 2011.

1. KING HARDCASTLE

KING HARDCASTLE Member

What does everyone think about these type of shirts? I live in a very warm area (will be 100+ in summer + very very humid) and simply refuse to wear long sleeve shirts or jackets during this time lol. I tend to wear a lot of v-necks or polos, but that gets boring after a while. Was wanting to pick up some short sleeve button downs to wear to casual social functions/bars/restaurants (1 in white and 1 in black).

Any good brands to check out? Links?

[​IMG]

or http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-ora...-shirt/3142572

one above seems kinda played out/dorky

2. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

1. A button down is a shirt whose collars button down
    2. Where do you live that covering your arms will cause such over heating?
    3. You won't get much love for short sleeve shirts on here, maybe SW&D can help
    4. If you work in IT or Mission Control forget the above and knock yourself out

3. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

I suggest you look at yourself in the mirror with the shirt on and getting feedback from people whom your trying to impress before committing.

Personally, I hate the look. Unless its an Aloha shirt and I'm back home in Hawaii.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

If you are talking about casual wear....go for it...

5. Mudhiker

Mudhiker Senior member

Thumbs down to the black shirt if your ultimate goal is staying cool.

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

If you are talking about casual wear....go for it...
    Yes. Strictly casual, and untucked.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes. Strictly casual, and untucked.

I do quite well just rolling up the sleeves on my normal shirts. It makes for a more versatile shirt than one you can only wear when it is very warm.

8. MadAboutPlaid

MadAboutPlaid Senior member

With shorts, maybe - but not to work unless you want to look like Michael Douglas in the movie "Falling Down"

9. Storm33

Storm33 Senior member

When I see people in short sleeve shirts like that at work, I think "low-level staff accountant" / "nerd".

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

When I see people in short sleeve shirts like that at work, I think "low-level staff accountant" / "nerd".

"Was wanting to pick up some short sleeve button downs to wear to casual social functions/bars/restaurants"

he didn't say work...

11. gort

gort Senior member

The look can definitely work. Michael C Hall as Dexter is someone who comes to mind that can pull the look off rather well.

12. NORE

NORE Senior member

I do quite well just rolling up the sleeves on my normal shirts. It makes for a more versatile shirt than one you can only wear when it is very warm.

This. No to the Dilbert shirt.

13. TRA8324

TRA8324 Senior member

Short sleeved button ups are fine, but to work they need to be slim fitting with short, slim fitting sleeves. I think they looks best untucked as well, but for this to work you need to make sure it's not too long. I find that buying a size down helps because the shirt will be more slim fitting and shorter.

14. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

I think button down short sleeve shirts are way underrated. I strongly prefer them to both polo shirts and rolled up long sleeve shirts (which seriously inhibit air circulation on a hot day).

The key to avoiding the dilbert look is, obviously, fabric and fit. Avoid dressy fabrics like fine poplin, and avoid heavy fabrics like oxfords. Linen works well IME, as well as poplins with nice, bold summery patterns (checks preferable to stripes). A slightly rumpled look is superior to a crisp, pressed look, so the fabric should accomodate that. Torso fit can be slim or loose, but it's crucial that the sleeves are slim and not too long - otherwise it will look like a tommy bahama grandpa shirt.

15. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I am not a fan. Unless you are very fit, a la Dexter (who was mentioned above) or some of the guys on Hawaii 5-0, and are wearing one that is very, very fitted, including in the sleeves and armholes, I tend to think it is a very unrefined look.

I personally find just rolling up the sleeves on a conventional shirt is plenty cool enough for me, even if you are in a warmer climate. I spend a lot of time in tropical places like Hong Kong and I have no problem with long sleeves.

It is extra helpful if you wear fabrics that are thin or breathe easily, or sit off your skin a little to allow for some cooling. E.g. linen, chambray, seersucker.