• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Elevator to the Gallows
A phenomenal film, Louis Malle's best, in my humble opinion. The scene where the young couple commits "suicide" is fantastic -- depressing and whimsical at the same time. And just to make us all feel like we haven't accomplished anything in our lives, Louis Malle was only 26 when he directed this gem. Yikes.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
A phenomenal film, Louis Malle's best, in my humble opinion. The scene where the young couple commits "suicide" is fantastic -- depressing and whimsical at the same time.

And just to make us all feel like we haven't accomplished anything in our lives, Louis Malle was only 26 when he directed this gem.

Yikes.

Excellent movie.
This is also known as Lift to the scaffold in Britlish.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Winter's Bone was GREAT. Loved it.

I'm trying to find "The Taking of Power by Louis XIV" online.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night saw Howl. Ginsberg played by James Franco. Quite enjoyed it. Nice animation parts.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This week:

The Taking of Power by Louis XIV (Rossellini)
Early Summer (Ozu)
Election (To)
Black Orpheus (Camus)

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just watched the 2006 film Wristcutters: A Love Story. Solid flick, nothing super special and a bit of a let down (it leaves some things unexplored), but still enjoyable. Definitely reccomend it to anyone who likes some surreal humour.

Catalyst

Reaction score
Last night, watched After Hours (1984). I've seen it many times but I love revisiting it. Early Scorsese at it's best! Tonight? War of the Roses, another of my classic favorites!

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Just watched the 2006 film Wristcutters: A Love Story. Solid flick, nothing super special and a bit of a let down (it leaves some things unexplored), but still enjoyable. Definitely reccomend it to anyone who likes some surreal humour.

I loathed that film. Part of the "quirky comedy" genre that I can't stand. Maybe it's just me.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
]
the-adjustment-bureau-uk-poster_329x246.jpg

adjustment-bureau-poster.jpg

I saw The Adjustment Bureau. Don't bother. The posters are completely misleading. It has very little in common with Dark City, which I consider to be quite overrated as a whole, but can appreciate the concept and execution.

Some of the plot points were infantile and it just fell short of the whole Shutter Island thing where Sir Kingsley busts out a whiteboard to tell us what the hell is happening to Leo. It shared the same sphere of stupidity.

Emily Blunt's acting in the second half is laughable, but she has believable chemistry with Matt Damon. Damon, once again, is above par. Michael Kelly is completely wasted. I have no idea why they needed Terrence Stamp, either. It greatly minimised John Slattery's role.

It really is a case of false advertising. The poster suggests a neo noir, but much of the darkness is brought to light immediately either because a) the people involved didn't trust that they could convey what they wanted, or b) the people involved think the target audience is a bunch of morons. It's a great way to sell a film and an equally great way to be shot down once any kind of an audience has a look at it. Besides, Emily Blunt never actually wore the red dress.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
the-adjustment-bureau-uk-poster_329x246.jpg
adjustment-bureau-poster.jpg
*Spoilers* I saw The Adjustment Bureau. Don’t bother. The posters are completely misleading. It has very little in common with Dark City, which I consider to be quite overrated as a whole, but can appreciate the concept and execution. Some of the plot points were infantile and it just fell short of the whole Shutter Island thing where Sir Kingsley busts out a whiteboard to tell us what the hell is happening to Leo. It shared the same sphere of stupidity. Emily Blunt’s acting in the second half is laughable, but she has believable chemistry with Matt Damon. Damon, once again, is above par. Michael Kelly is completely wasted. I have no idea why they needed Terrence Stamp, either. It greatly minimised John Slattery’s role. It really is a case of false advertising. The poster suggests a neo noir, but much of the darkness is brought to light immediately either because a) the people involved didn’t trust that they could convey what they wanted, or b) the people involved think the target audience is a bunch of morons. It’s a great way to sell a film and an equally great way to be shot down once any kind of an audience has a look at it. Besides, Emily Blunt never actually wore the red dress.

Dude, don't be like I was, wrap your spoilers up in Spoiler Tags. I watched The A-Team last night. With the exception of the last 15 minutes I thought it was a fun ride. Overall, I've liked what I've seen from Joe Carnahan. Every time I hear his name I think back to those shorts that BMW made about 9-10 years ago featuring "The Driver" played by Clive Owen. I'll have to look those up to see if they are on YouTube.

Anthony K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
Dude, don't be like I was, wrap your spoilers up in Spoiler Tags.

I had to close my eyes and scroll down because I'm going to go see it this weekend.

I just watched Hot Tub Time Machine. I was extremely skeptical at first, but I actually ended up really enjoying it (its got some nice looking hotties in it, so that doesn't hurt). I love comedies, but most new ones blow and I find very little humor in them, but I found myself laughing a lot during it.

I just fired up the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street. Some hate it, some love it, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally, I like it and find myself watching it quite often (the blonde is so hot in it).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads